Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Performance

john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353

Since the start of 2019, we've been cranking up the effort in engineering to improve Onshape performance. We definitely know that it's a big concern for some of our customers. In 2018 we made major investments toward improving our ability to detect and fix performance concerns. We've also improved and streamlined our support and customer success processes around reporting performance problems. The past 3 releases have rolled out many of these improvements and we have many more coming. In 2019 we are focusing a substantially increased amount of engineering time on improving the performance of large assemblies, drawings, and overall interactivity.

In the old CAD and PDM world, getting a performance problem fixed could take many months or years (if it got fixed at all) and a lot of effort on your part. With Onshape, we have the ability to identify and reproduce performance issues in hours and can fix severe ones within a few weeks, sometimes even days. Customers experiencing unexpected slowdowns merely need to create a support ticket. If you let us know what document you are working on (reporting from within the document will do this automatically), what you were doing when you saw the problem, and what time you saw it, we can start investigating right away.

I know that some customers are still struggling with performance issues. We recognize this and will continue to improve performance as one of our top priorities.

John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
Tagged:

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Great news
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Yes!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This great news to hear that you are focusing on performance, faster more efficient CAD is always welcome to increase user output. You have already mastered zero crashes and seamless upgrades using the cloud platform and harnessing this platform to make Onshape X times faster than tradition CAD system is very much welcome.  I must say however that with my latest projects I spent a lot less time messing with stuff because of performance issues, which gives me confidence that even over the last 6 months performance in the backend has been improved.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Even today, on the Modeling side of Onshape.

When I go back to SW the difference in performance between Onshape and SW is night and day.
    Every so often Onshape hits a lag spike and may take 5 minutes to regenerate an assembly.
    But SW takes a 2 minute break every 10 minutes JUST for a save command.

Onshape's efficiency is phenomenal compared to desktop CAD. Just need to get paperspace  up to par with model space.  <3
    Well said @philip_thomas
    This bud's for you. 
    Anyone from Onshape ever find themselves near Grand Rapids, MI let me know. I owe a few of you a couple rounds :)

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @john_mcclary - I will take you up on that one day! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    I hope so
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    My biggest assembly loads very fast now after the latest update! 
    Onshape is amazing and the support is the best!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2019
    @philip_thomas - Great to hear, thanks for the explanation.
    @john_mcclary - PT is Welsh-ish and therefore familiar with beer.  Please don't use the words Budweiser and beer in the same sentence ever again.  That's like a Brit talking about instant coffee   :p
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Lol
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Well said @philip_thomas
    This bud's for you. 
    Anyone from Onshape ever find themselves near Grand Rapids, MI let me know. I owe a few of you a couple rounds :)

I'm not from Onshape, but I'm close to GR. I teach at a small public university in Big Rapids. You may have heard of us. If you are ever looking for Onshape native new college graduates let me know. I teach modeling with Onshape to our 3rd year Mechanical Engineering Technology students and they generally love using it. Some get quite good.

Brian
    Cool, didn't realize anyone else on the internet is this side of the state :)

We are keeping our eyes open for another CAD jockey. Can't promise much Onshape work yet though, there is still a stigma held between 2 non-believers about Onshape. They prefer to listen to testimonials from long time SW and Fusion users, that only gave Onshape a couple hour test drive. Rather than the living breathing guy sitting 1 seat over that has lived it for 2 years...  :(

But have them fill out an app if they are interested. What's the worse that can happen? :)
    The owner here loves Onshape, but the company is split 2:3 in favor of SW still... so having another knowledgeable person could be a good thing.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I'm curious if anyone has done a remote job interview in a shared Onshape session? Employer sets a brief, candidate builds it in real time with the employer in the doc watching and jumping in to help out out or offer clarification as required. Try that in confusion180 or Sometimesworks 😀
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I'm curious if anyone has done a remote job interview in a shared Onshape session? Employer sets a brief, candidate builds it in real time with the employer in the doc watching and jumping in to help out out or offer clarification as required. Try that in confusion180 or Sometimesworks 😀
    Owen S.

I'm obviously biased, but I have.  We had a group of recent and soon-to-be-recent graduates work on a project together for 3 weeks to test their design skills but more importantly for me their willingness to record, document, and send feedback of issues/be critical of the product.  It was quite nice to be able to jump in at anytime and see their progress (or lack there of).
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    jakeramsley said

It was quite nice to be able to jump in at anytime and see their progress (or lack there of).
    Are you saying you know who the procrastinators are now  :#
  • lawrence_housellawrence_housel Member Posts: 2
    We have Professional accounts but our shop floor guys are on free accounts for viewing.  Drawings seem to take longer to load for the free accounts than the paid accounts.

Is performance throttled for free accounts vs. paid accounts?  
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited May 2019
    We have Professional accounts but our shop floor guys are on free accounts for viewing.  Drawings seem to take longer to load for the free accounts than the paid accounts.

Is performance throttled for free accounts vs. paid accounts?  
    There are a number of factors here. However, we do not "throttle" performance based on plan types. Please feel free to ask those users to submit a support ticket and we can walk them through some possible issues. You can also ask them to perform the check cad.onshape.com/check on their devices to measure the device performance.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Drawings seem to take longer to load for the free accounts than the paid accounts.
    Drawing load times are longer on slower cpus.
    One time I reduced the cpu performance of my laptop to reduce the noise of the fans and I noticed that immediately. 

I would guess that the computers on the shop floor are less performant than CAD Workstations?
  • lawrence_housellawrence_housel Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information.  

The shop floor guys all use iPads.  The issue came to light when someone from Operations switched from a Pro to a Free account and noticed a dip in performance.  We thought it might be related to the account type.