Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a good way to scale all the parts of a sketch?

declan_ollerdeclan_oller Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I'm trying to make something based on a drawing. I imported the drawing into a sketch in a parts studio, and then traced over the parts I want with lines and polygons:

(sorry for the bad contrast)

Now, I want to be able to set some distance, like the side of the square, and then be able to just change that, and have everything else change proportionally.

I managed to do this, but it was kind of a nightmare. I basically set the long side to a variable, and then, right after tracing it, constrained the hell out of all the parts, and set the lengths to whatever fraction of the side variable they are.

This worked, but it was a simple drawing and it took a looooong time to get all of them. Is there some better way?

I found some other post where they suggested turning it into a part, and then using transform. But that seems silly, and I'd like to do other stuff with the scaled sketch anyway. Is there a better way?
Tagged:

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the sketch has only one length dimension defined it will scale according to the value of that dimension, so the other solution is to delete all the other dimensions of the sketch lefting only one to drive it's scale
  • declan_ollerdeclan_oller Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    if the sketch has only one length dimension defined it will scale according to the value of that dimension, so the other solution is to delete all the other dimensions of the sketch lefting only one to drive it's scale
    Hi, thanks, I tried that, but it doesn't scale everything correctly. For example, the little islands in the middle didn't scale at all, if I recall.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited May 2019
    You may have some stray relations that got added while sketching. Happens to me often where you sketch a line and it went parallel to another line when you didn't want it to. Onshape wakes up adjacent relations in the same sketch too fast IMHO.

check this box and delete any constraints that crossover between shapes.

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited May 2019
    @declan_oller

I think that a better solution here is to just make the sketches into sheets using offset surface with an offset of 0, and then using a uniform scale transform to grow or shrink those sheet bodies.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/offset_surface.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    I do what @Jake_Rosenfeld suggested for a lot of the work I do