Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Latency (when dimensioning)

grant_rileygrant_riley Member Posts: 4
Hi Guys, 

The only thing that bothers me about Onshape right now is the time it takes from inserting a new dimension, to being able to enter a number. I shouldn't have to wait for the graphics to catch up, before being allowed to enter new data.

I am used to inserting a dimension, immediately punching in a number, then pressing enter - I often stumble, when defining simple sketches in Onshape and have to sit and wait for the dimension input box to appear.

Would it be possible to have something like a 'Local Command Buffer' - so I can merrily enter dimension data, without having to wait for graphics to catch up?

Thanks,

Grant.

Comments

• grant_rileygrant_riley Member Posts: 4
    Thanks @cody_armstrong - this will be much appreciated!
  • jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 49 PRO
    edited June 2019
    Any progress on this? I thought this "buffer" was active for a while but then did you guys take it out? I often have cases where I would enter a sketch dimension on the keyboard and Onshape would only take a part of the dimension or nothing at all and just record the enter key so the dimension would be unchanged. For example, a dimension that would come out at 4.235 when first clicking on a line would be modified as ".5" instead of "4.5" because Onshape doesn't record the keyboard inputs until the dimension box is active. I remember Solidworks would be able to record a few moves ahead, and it was often that I would be able to enter dimensions long before they were actually displayed on the screen.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited May 2019
    I too have seen it rear its ugly head again, but not as often as it used to. A few times a day rather than every other dimension
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @jacques_spillmann @john_mcclary Have either of you submitted a ticket with the details of this? Is it possible to see a screen recording of this happening? Let me know. Thanks.
    Like I said, it is not as often, but I'll start recording now and then
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Happening for me too. 60% of the time, it happens all the time.
    sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't receive a notice the conversation was updated. What tool would be best to do a screen recording of what's happening?
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited June 2019
    @jacques_spillmann This is a nice lightweight solution for screen capture:  https://www.cockos.com/licecap/
    Take a look at this gif. It shows that I tried to enter 2.5 mm in 2 dimensions and twice Onshape failed to record my inputs and recorded as .5 mm in the first one and 5 mm in the second one. You have to type pretty fast for that to happen but when you are in a hurry it happens (like all the time, since I seem to be in a hurry for months now...!)
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @jacques_spillmann

What did you select for the sketch plane for this sketch? The face on the part? Or a Plane? If you select the face of a part for the sketch plane then we "imprint" all of the edges onto the sketch to allow easy dimensioning and referencing. For very complex faces this can cause some delay, which may be what you are experiencing here. Please try creating a new Plane on the face of the part and then select the plane rather than the face of the part for the sketch plane. Does this improve the performance?
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
    just tried it. It doesn't really make a difference if the sketch in based on a face or a plane
    Here is it happening most of the time when  in a fresh part studio

I tried to type loudly so you can hear the  difference between a enterkey stroke and the #2
    i am just hitting 2 enter 2 enter

you can see how i get slower and slow until it finally accepted the entire "2-enter-2-enter" input

manytimes the enterkey was the ignored stroke as you can see a lot of 22" long rectangles

I know this is easy to push away as "you should just slow down' but that is normal speed when entering dims. I accept a double input when I typo, but the system makes significantly more errors  than me, even when slowing down a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i442iTN5_BU
    for comparison, here is the same demo in Solidworks, this is what is expected when entering dims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCj1-xBUFto
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @john_mcclary I pulled a ticket to have it looked at.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.