Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Boolean with Import of Surfaces?

nick_hanigannick_hanigan Member Posts: 10 PRO
Hi,

I used the Onshape public server to search for the Samsung S10 tool / model.  I found a good reference by Rob Cassidy, which imported a file from SolidWorks:, it is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b5413e753843b3dbfd1dce12/w/afb70071c17b9b8dbe44e897/e/eafe6c770e5d980659ac093f .

I designed around this part a case.  I wish to Boolean subtract the S10 model from my newly designed case.  The Boolean command won't work and I suppose this is because the Imported file does not constitute a solid object and rather is a collection of faces.  I've had a quick look at the fill command between all the faces with no luck.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can eventually be in a position to complete the Boolean command?

Thanks in advance,

Nick.
Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @nick_hanigan - you can try the Enclose command which will allow you to make a volume based on multiple surfaces, but if they are really bad that probably won’t work. You could also try using the Boolean Plus feature which can be found under the “community samples”  filter in the “add custom feature” dialog (+ icon top right) - this will let you Boolean surfaces. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • nick_hanigannick_hanigan Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Thanks Neil. I will try both on Monday and report back. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You should also try the Fill Gaps custom feature as well (probably try this first). It will try to make the surfaces into a solid. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @nick_hanigan

Curious as to the Vote Down. Myself — I’m of the belief that stepping through the features list of a document, to see how somebody made something, is one of the best ways to learn Onshape.

You said — The Boolean command won't work and I suppose this is because the Imported file does not constitute a solid object and rather is a collection of faces.

Below is a GIF that shows a cross-section of your imported part. That hatching shows that it is a solid

If it were not a solid, here’s what it would’ve looked like

Stepping through the document I posted, would have shown how to do the boolean you were asking for.

If you’re unfamiliar with how to go about stepping through the features, you might want to let people here in the forum know. Somebody might help. Maybe even someone that got a Vote Down. LOL

• nick_hanigannick_hanigan Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Oh, so sorry, I am new to the console and used your solution and meant to give you support.  I see you have helped others and am really appreciative of the fact that you were going beyond a standard answer.  I think I have corrected it, if not let me know.   Thanks again.  NH.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    If you're working with surfaces, boolean isn't your friend. 

I split the surface 1st, then delete the face 2nd. Why don't they combine these 2 into a trim command? I don't know and stopped asking. It's actually easier to debug when they're separated especially when performing complex operations.