Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

SHEET METAL COUNTERSUNK HOLE ISSUE

POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
Hi
The countersink routine does not produce a countersunk feature on my sheetmetal part? it inserts a circular hole If I duplicate the process on a standard extruded shape everything works as expected.
Thanks

Best Answer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    active sheet-metal parts can only have cuts perpendicular to the top face. (anything that can be done on a standard laser table)
    you will need to add a "Finish Sheet-Metal" feature in order to cut features like countersinks.
    (anything that will happen after the part has been cut from the laser table)

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    active sheet-metal parts can only have cuts perpendicular to the top face. (anything that can be done on a standard laser table)
    you will need to add a "Finish Sheet-Metal" feature in order to cut features like countersinks.
    (anything that will happen after the part has been cut from the laser table)
  • tony_buxtontony_buxton Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully someone at Onshape realizes that countersinks can be done on a turret punch. Limiting a feature to a particular machine process is a little shortsighted.
    I cannot begin to thank the people at Onshape for their work in providing this product. Even if this feature never makes it into a release, the simple fact that this software is so robust and filled with incredible features makes it the go to solution.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @tony_buxton thanks for your kind words - it's on the list.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Am I imagining a custom feature existing for punching sheet metal? @MBartlett21
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Am I imagining a custom feature existing for punching sheet metal? @MBartlett21

That would be impressive, but currently I don't think it is possible.  Sheetmetal treats faces almost as if they are infinitely thin, finding where the hole is and then thickening (that's not how it technically does it, but much to the same affect).  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Luke_MillikenLuke_Milliken Member Posts: 2
    I would also like to see countersinks be possible before "finishing the sheet metal model." Countersink punches on a turret punch are quite common practice in industry. 

At the very least, even if the model required to be finished before adding countersinks, It would be great to have the option of which features to show and which to hide on flat pattern drawings instead of being limited to Onshape's assumptions on manufacturing methods. 

Has anyone came up with a temporary solution for this? I need to get my drawings to fabrication ASAP and this has caused an unexpected road block.
  • POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
    I started this thread - to overcome the issue I had to add a "simple" hole slightly smaller than required in the required locations while in Sheet Metal mode then after "Finishing Sheet Metal" mode I added the correct size Counter sunk hole in the same locations, and had those as a call out on the formed drawing with just hole locations on the flat sheet metal drawing..
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    From my experience in aircraft construction, I think what you guys are talking about is what we would have called a "dimple" used to accommodate a countersunk rivet or screw.  These were created with a "dimple die punch" which could create a countersunk hole through multiple sheets of aluminum.  Note that no metal was removed to create the countersunk hole other than the hole itself.  See: 
  • Brian_SiebertBrian_Siebert Member Posts: 1
    I would also like to see this added.  We have a 5 axis waterjet, so cutting a chamfered hole in sheet metal is quite common for us.  As a work around I may just have to make an extrude the same as the sheet metal.
  • jarrod_kysar623jarrod_kysar623 Member Posts: 2
    Dude! This is still a problem, even after the "Finish sheet metal model" Feature was applied!???!!! Come on guys! I was led to believe Onshape is just as good as Solidworks or better! :/ I can not get the hole feature to work on a sheet metal part.