Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Automation

adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
I know is still pretty early in the game, but without the existence of Configurations (like in SW) I have a hard time visualizing how I could Automate finalized Products. Configuration and Equations were the key, are there any current counterparts of those concepts in Onshape?
Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
CAD Engineering Manager

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have understood that we are allowed to expect these functions to Onshape. 
    //rami
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    The flexibility to do this will be put in in some way or some form, but right now don't have this functionality available.  Our system and our platform allows for multiple possibilities for accomplishing this.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Awesome, will be patiently waiting to try that functionality.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Configurations of some form will be needed especially in assemblies. At the moment for some parts you can do a inplace copies in the part studio and then change the copied part to the new "configuration/version) with direct edits. Depending on design intent you can still do changes up the tree the blow thought to parts after the copy. Works well when you then drop these parts into an assembly with the all parts independently listed.  

You can also do quite complex equations in the dimension dialogue, not a design table, but very useful. Biggest thing I find I lack is the ability to link dimensions. Hopefully we will see the linking of dimension soon ie D2=D1+10

Its hard to patiently wait  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....  Hopefully we will see the linking of dimension soon ie D2=D1+10

Its hard to patiently wait  

I think it's OK to wait impatiently!

But I suppose Zen techniques are another possibility ...

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a restricted subset of instances, it seems feasible to use versioning ("Manage versions" icon) as a crude substitute for configurations.

I don't think it helps where multiple versions are to cohabit within a single assembly, though... unless you round-trip them to another document, in which case you would lose the ability to edit parametrically (no feature list).
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I' ve tried using version and branching for crude configurations, all got too hard. I don't think I'd go down that track again just have to wait for proper solution. 

Recently I've been doing various conceptual redesigns to released products done in SW and so wish I had versioning and branching. It really going to make life a lot easier, no more pack and go and editing parts by accident end up with double ups, etc,etc.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977