Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 12th, 2019

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited November 2019 in New in Onshape
We've had some exciting news recently, but nothing slows down our release cadence. So here we are with another update packed with features requested by you! Let's dive in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

COMPOSITE PARTS

You can now create Composite parts consisting of parts, surfaces, curves, and points. Composite parts are treated as one part in the Bill of Materials and when using Release Management.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/134l48bq8w

INSERT DIALOG IMPROVEMENTS

You will find a new "Advanced Search" button when inserting in Onshape. This makes it possible to filter and search by custom properties from within the Insert dialog.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/cod09fxqck

INTERFERENCE DETECTION IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to Interference Detection that include an automatic zoom to fit when selecting an interference from the list, as well as a bounding box highlighting the interference in the graphics.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/snds0fvnr9

SECTION VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

You can now Break a Section view in Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hsyw00rnku

EDIT VIEW ORIENTATION IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now edit the orientation of a drawing view after it has been inserted.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/yl28pqx20b

CUSTOMIZE USER DEFINED FEATURES IN TOOLBAR

You can now re-arrange custom features in the Part Studio toolbars.

NEW FEATURE/INSTANCE LIST STYLING

The feature list has been restyled to allow for resizing of contexts, configurations, features, and parts sections.  The feature list is now docked and is fully collapsable by clicking the feature list icon.

IMPORT IMPROVEMENTS

You can now choose the option to "Orient imported models with the Y Axis Up" when importing into multiple Documents. In the past, this option was limited to importing to a single Document.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• ArcsonArcson Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Super excited for composite parts. Does this feature propagate to legacy documents automatically or do we need to get support to update it for us? Good work Onshape team!
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Arcson said:
    Super excited for composite parts. Does this feature propagate to legacy documents automatically or do we need to get support to update it for us? Good work Onshape team!
    Older docs will be updated automatically in the coming days. 
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    These are very exciting, and much anticipated! Thank you Onshape team!

We <3 Onshape!
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Nice round of updates. Especially composite part.
  • jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Composite part is a great improvement!!
  • S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    Broken section views... Hallelujah!!
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    composite parts are going to be huge for us with weldments! nice!
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Holy crap! You all out-did yourselves this time!

I think everything you did this time was on my high hopes list, (with the exception of import y axis up multi-document)

Composite parts! That's pretty much setting a part as a SolidWorks multibody part. Which is awesome. Making converting my old multibody (single part) stuff from SW into a single instance. (example: swivel casters, which took me a half hour to import and configure for my common part libary)
    No more move/face boolean union until it is one solid mass.

And the best part you failed to acknowledge.. Composite parts can be used in lieu of multi-colored faces :)
    Too-bad it only works with "closed" unchecked

• EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    I always like new update and this one is no exception!

But I'm not sure about composite parts, I'll have to try it a few days. I see advantages but I have a few interrogations:
    1. The only benefit of using a composite part instead of an assembly for an imported bearing for example is that I don't have to create an assembly for the bearing. So no movement possible which is not a big deal for a bearing. Good point, the icon is different in the BOM in the assembly when inserted. Correct?
    2. If I want to use a composite part for weldment, it means I have to model every parts (example a croner post) instead of creating an assembly for my weldment and reuse the same part? I'm not sure this solves the weldment assemblies functionnality I need in Onshape, my problem is actually when I want to weld parts together and then machine the weldment.
    3. Can we configure composite parts? How does it behave?
    Great job anyway!
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    edited November 2019
    This time you surprised me!
    Resizeable featurelist and Composite parts - very good  :)
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited November 2019
    @EricGauthier

Maybe I can shed some light on some of your questions:

1. Another advantage of a composite part is that it will update if you update the part in the Part Studio.  One disadvantage of using an assembly in the past was that if you have some sort of weldment with all of its individual parts inserted into an assembly, the assembly will not update if another part is added in the Part Studio. Now, if you make changes in the PS and make sure to include new parts in the composite part, those will come into the assembly automatically.
    2. You are correct that in a case like you have pointed out, you would need to duplicate identical parts in the Part Studio.  Composite parts are not our ultimate solution to weldments,  we are still planning work towards having a full-featured weldments system.  Composite parts play into this system, but are just a small piece of a larger plan.
    3. You can configure the composite part feature just like any other feature, but maybe this is not what you are curious about.  Is there a specific way you would like to configure this?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @EricGauthier yes you can configure composite parts. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • josh_bitnerjosh_bitner Member Posts: 1 PRO
    One of my favorite updates yet! Composite parts will be huge for us, and will allow a much smoother workflow when managing our product metadata. 
    LET'S GO!
  • Ryan_AlmeidaRyan_Almeida Member Posts: 9 PRO
    Nice improvements!  I've been creating my own "composite" parts with boolean features at the end of the tree.  Much cleaner now.  Thanks OnShape!
    Kind of sucks that the filter displays public documents too..

It would be nice if there was a filter button to only show documents Owned/Shared by me 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2019
    Great Release, Thankyou! I wasn't even expecting composite parts but looking forward to using them and assuming they will do away with the extra group sub-assemblies I have come so use to using.  Excited to see how the change drawing veiw orientation will work, this could be a huge time saver and breaks in sections will also be handy. But as always I am already looking forward to the next release, which will hopefully see my 2 biggest wants atm, explodes and colored faces. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You forgot something:

The what's new notice on the documents page now has a present icon :)

The composite parts will be very useful :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    The Composite parts improvement will make release management much more streamlined with vendor models coming in =) When using larger assemblies, we'd have to exclude the many parts that may be in it (ex: fans for moving material through an air stream), and this make things exceedingly easier for them. Along with that, the others will be greatly hopeful later on.

I do have one question. I posted at the end of the last improvement thread, so must have been missed (considering the PTC acquisition and all), but has there been any luck on the "Linked Documents Update" improvement that had to be nixed?

It would be nice if there was a filter button to only show documents Owned/Shared by me 
    You have to select My Onshape or Created by me first before using the advanced search.
    NeilCooke said:

You have to select My Onshape or Created by me first before using the advanced search.
    Got it! Thanks
    edited November 2019
    Here's a simple example of an imported Caster with a configured Composite Part. Unchecking "closed" does keep all the constituent parts laying around, but at least the colors remain intact. A Composite Part filter on the Insert dialog would probably have been a good idea (IR anyone?)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0d96a0a44207338fe2049124/w/2938e513e59809f40e7e26cf/e/77f4efb6387ec8c5f2edb511
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    composite parts are just cool......

• AlexDAlexD Member Posts: 16 PRO
    To Onshape Team, 

"Composite parts" is GREAT!

And, it will save time as well as simplifying assemby and reduce sub-assembly configuration time

You can checked as "Completed" one of my improvement requests: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/12016/multi-body-in-part-studio#latest

I guess that to be able to keep "appearance" (and "material") when "Closed" or have another option (Inseparable) for purchased composite part will make sure that nobody will select a single part while keeping the look.

THANKS again.
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO

• Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    edited November 2019
    Composite parts looks will save my time of creating "sub-assembly", and it's good for BOM of the top assembly.
    but it means I have to model every parts, this is not good when I also need a BOM for the sub-assembly which may can be assembled with many sames parts. every coin has 2 sides.

Looking forward to Crop a Section view in Onshape Drawings