Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a reason the version graph doesn't graphically show merges?

tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Branches are nicely shown with curving lines branching off.  Just wondering why merges aren't shown with lines that way as well?  Seems obvious to me...

Best Answer

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see this too! I always end up creating named versions pre- and post-merge so that I can say something like "V5 - merged from V4 on B1” to keep some sort of idea what's going on. 
  • andres_dandlerandres_dandler Member Posts: 17 PRO
    Hi.  I would like this too.  Is this in process?
    Thanks.
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    lougallo said:
    It is not yet implemented. We are working on showing that.

Is deleting branches also in the words? ie: after I merge back to main I can delete the branch? That option is one reason I'm not using branching as much as I'd like. I started using it on a complicated part that requires a lot of experimental iterative testing (microfluidics) but stopped once I realized it got very cluttered.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @Jolls - Did you know that you can delete the workspace at the end of the branch? Once I realized that, I was able to clean a lot of stuff up in my larger documents. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited January 2020
    lougallo said (in 2016):
    It is not yet implemented. We are working on showing that.
    Did the dev doing the job take a long walk off a short pier?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Probably the same Dev that was in charge of colored faces...  <3
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @Jolls @tim_hess427 you need delete permissions (usually only the document creator) to delete a branch. If the doc was shared with you, chances are you don’t have permissions, but you can ask the doc owner. 

@owen_sparks there’s quite a long pier opposite the new PTC office we just moved into, but to my knowledge no devs have gone near that yet. Merge in version graph is part of a larger body of work that will take some time to complete. 

@john_mcclary if you want coloured faces you’ll just have to patient a little while longer!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
     :D 
  • Aaron_EmerickAaron_Emerick Member, csevp Posts: 4 PRO
    8 years later...  Just keeping the hope alive :smile:

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Yep. This still seems like such an obvious improvement. Pretty please?
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO

The Onshape Team really is amazing.  <3

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎