Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Chat Box Inside Documents

Mazie_HouchensMazie_Houchens Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
A chat box on the side you can pull up with a button or arrow so that you can talk to other people in the document.
Would help when working on team projects and when working with support
Tagged:

Comments

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Yes; this would be very useful! I often have to open Discord or Slack when I'm doing a design review or helping someone model something, and having to constantly switch programs really breaks the flow of productivity. It's the same in Google Docs--it's awesome to hop on and start working together remotely with no fuss or external tools required. BTW, @Mazie_Houchens
    , you can vote for your own improvement request.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Mazie_Houchens
    @alnis_smidchens
    This can already be done with the comments in a document (they work in real time)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Mazie_Houchens this is done in comments today
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    They can also double click your picture in the top right and follow your mouse move movements
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @lougallo, @MBartlett21 - Its good to now that comments can be used this way. However, to me comments =/= chat, and therefore would provide additional value in some cases. Just like email, while near real time is not the same as chat. 

Comments - while they may update in real time, are for asynchronous and persistent (not necessarily permanent) communication and documenting a chain of thoughts about something. Better for documenting and responding to focused questions, solutions, tasks, and feedback. 

Chat - synchronous, real-time, non-persistent communication that isn't kept with the document. Better for longer, less focused, back-and-forth discussions that you don't want/need archived. 

All that said, I think a "chat" would provide value, but I wouldn't prioritize it very high, personally. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2019
    You can always create a featurestudio and chat in real time there too

I've done that before

Good part about that is you can open the featurestudio in a new tab/window and have it on your second monitor or whatever so you can still multi-task
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You can always create a featurestudio and chat in real time there too
    @john_mcclary
    Including making many red underlines in real time too :D
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    /*
    😀
    */
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    lougallo said:
    @Mazie_Houchens this is done in comments today
    @lougallo
    How can the person know that I want to come in contact ?  There is no message from anything that indicates that there are comments.
    Only if you accidently opens the Comment panel you can see it.