Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 3rd, 2020

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
edited June 2020 in New in Onshape
I can imagine that one or two of you will be pleased with this latest update which includes the most requested and voted for feature in the history of Onshape. Enjoy!

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

FACE COLORS

Appearances can now be added to Solid and Surface Faces in a Part Studio. The new Appearance Panel displays all currently assigned Part and Face colors which can be edited, renamed, configured and suppressed. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/tqpe22byf4?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

Face colors may also be assigned programmatically with FeatureScript using the setProperty option "allowFaces":

setProperty(context, { "entities" : faceQuery,
                         "propertyType" : PropertyType.APPEARANCE,
                         "value" : color(r,g,b,a),
                         "allowFaces" : true });
Face colors set by Custom Features do not appear in the Appearance Panel.

ISOLATE KEYBOARD SHORTCUT

Parts in Part Studios and Instances in Assemblies can now be quickly shown in Isolate mode with a new keyboard shortcut. Hover your mouse over the required Part or Instance in the graphics area or make a selection from the Parts list or Instance list then press Shift + i.

NORMAL TO NEAREST DEFAULT PLANE

The keyboard shortcut for View Normal To (n) will now rotate the model view, when no geometry is selected or highlighted, to be normal to the nearest default Plane. Pressing n while hovering over a planar face also now works as a shortcut for viewing a model normal to a face.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/rdgthjch0l?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

FEATURESCRIPT CUSTOM TABLES

Calculation results, measurements, lists, properties and other types of data can now be easily extracted from a Part Studio and presented in tabular form using Custom Tables. For Enterprise accounts, any Table that the administrator adds will appear in all Documents for all members that have "Link" access to the Table. Documentation for Tables can be found here.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zivyeqdiyf?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

HOLE TABLES IN PART STUDIOS

When a Hole feature is created in a Part Studio, a new tab appears on the right that details the specification, quantity and tag for every Hole.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/7v6i0s2d57?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SHOW HIDDEN BODIES DURING EDIT

Hidden items in the Parts List such as Curves, Surfaces and Parts will now show automatically if the feature that created them is being edited.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/isis20gonc?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DELETE FACE / DELETE PART

The Delete Face feature, with the Leave Open option selected, is now able to delete an entire Part or Surface without having to create an additional Delete Part feature. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/eo13aeafry?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Notable performance improvements that may affect your daily workflow include:
  • Faster retrieval of metadata such as Part properties.
  • Faster opening of Documents with Part Studios containing lots of Derived Parts.
  • Faster opening of Documents containing Custom Features that reference older versions of the FeatureScript library.
  • Faster Assembly Configuration changes requested via the API.

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

PENDING APPROVALS IN OTHER RELEASE CANDIDATES

A new release condition has been added to Release Management that prevents an item from entering a release workflow if its Part Number has been used in another Release Candidate. If this condition is not set, a warning will be shown in the Release Candidate dialog, but the item will be permitted to enter the workflow.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/a8rcq58omb?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

INVITE USERS BY CSV FILE

Enterprise Administrators can now invite large numbers of users by importing their details from a CSV file. A sample CSV file is provided and automated error checking ensures all imported details are valid and correct. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/yfn5fc3mad?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SAVE DASHBOARD FAVORITES

Onshape Enterprise's Reports and Analytics can now be saved, along with any filters, for quick retrieval later. All saved dashboards are listed in the My Analytics filter and can be accessed by any user with permissions.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/x6i5kx6sh2?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

NAVIGATING ONSHAPE FOR NEW USERS

A new technical briefing has been added to the Learning Center to help users unfamiliar with Onshape to navigate a Document they have been shared into: Navigating Onshape for New Users. No sign in or Onshape account is required to access this technical briefing, so please feel free to share with everybody!

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Member Posts: 3 PRO
    First

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    amazing job!
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Great job guys!! 
  • HuguesLessardWRIHuguesLessardWRI Member Posts: 14 PRO
    So much great stuff in this update. Now I need to figure out how to use that to improve our usage of Onshape.
    Hugues Lessard
    Ingénieur de produits / Product Engineer
    Waste Robotics Inc. / www.wasterobotic.com

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Color Face!  Stupendous, spectacular!  Now, how do I make the 'appearances' panel go away after I've used it?
    Click on the little tab icon that you used to open it.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Finally colored faces! Wait... now what are we gonna complain about... 

There is so much here, are you sure you are going to have something 3 weeks from now  ;)

Very nice work all!

having trouble making a table though... what am I missing?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ae128fca39a1d825a3c5d427/w/3e80cca7399c99b775520d11/e/3068316aed3ce312a6d15462

• JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Looks great! This is a big release. Happy to use the new 'n' updates and face colors. The custom tables and hole tables are fantastic too.  Will certainly use.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited June 2020

You need to return the table:
    return table("BOM", columns, rows);
    OMG, that did it... lol I paused the video one second too soon  :(
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Finally colored faces! Wait... now what are we gonna complain about... 

There is so much here, are you sure you are going to have something 3 weeks from now  ;)

Very nice work all!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ae128fca39a1d825a3c5d427/w/3e80cca7399c99b775520d11/e/3068316aed3ce312a6d15462

Hi john_mcclary,

We are working on uploading some custom table samples right now which should help give an example of how the internals for tables work.  They will be seen in the Custom table samples tag

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 13 PRO
    Great improvements!

Question: looks like custom tables only work in part studios and not assemblies?  Unless I am missing it.
    Still looking for a way to get mass properties of components out at the assembly level.  Step in the right direction but does not quite solve that use case yet.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Great improvements!

Question: looks like custom tables only work in part studios and not assemblies?  Unless I am missing it.
    Still looking for a way to get mass properties of components out at the assembly level.  Step in the right direction but does not quite solve that use case yet.

This is correct.  Currently they are for Part Studios.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    @jakeramsley
    I saw that option, but the BOM search was coming up blank, so I gave it a go myself. It works fine now :)

It is unfortunate you can't have these tables for Assembly (yet?) then we could use them in drawings.
    Good for a reporting tool, saves me from creating an assembly so I can read my custom properties that don't show up in the properties dialogue. :)
    Great improvements!

if you have a property (custom property in my case) then you can read from that:
    var matl = getProperty(context, {
                        "entity" : part,
                        "propertyType" : PropertyType.MATERIAL
                }).name;

var weight = getProperty(context, {
                        "entity" : part,
                        "propertyType" : PropertyType.CUSTOM,
                        "customPropertyId" : "5aad94f7b499a40f400c058f" // the ID of your mass property
                });

Or you can set any value to the table
    so weight doesn't "need" to read a property, so for example:
    weight = 123;

will always set the value of "weight" on each column to whatever you have here

so you should be able to evaluate the mass  of each part in the loop
    Something like:
    var weight = evApproximateMassProperties(context, {
                        "entities" : Part,
                        "density" : Density * kilogram / meter ^ 3
                    });

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited June 2020
    Has anyone figured out how to apply an image as a label?

[EDIT] I see now - the label is created by splitting the face, then applying color to each face. Not applying an image (yet).
  • guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    Well done. all looks good. 
  • Matt_BancroftMatt_Bancroft Member, Channel partner Posts: 6 EDU
    The appearance update is excellent, especially the ability to configure. Clever stuff.
    Also impressed with the document for new users. A very useful resource!
  • BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Amazing stuff. Being able to browse the hole table in the part studio is going to be the biggest one for us. 
    Great to see such a massive 'bedrock' improvement!