Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Modular Cabinet Model & List of Helpful Custom Features

Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
edited July 2020 in General

Modular Cabinet

This project is still in progress, it is complete enough to introduce to those who may want it.

Summary

The modular cabinet has been configured to be many different types of cabinets. As you import the cabinet into your document, you choose the attributes that you want your cabinet to have. This document has been created to cut down on modeling time for standard cabinetry. Please note there are many bugs in the current version of the Modular Cabinet.

Highlights

• Direct Import - Model can be directly derived into other documents without having to copy the document to make changes, configurations can be selected on the spot when you are deriving the cabinet.
  • Flatten Parts for Machining - If selected, cabinet will flatten, organize, and name all of its parts for machining. If the document you import to is configured correctly, the room of cabinets will automatically organize themselves for you.
  • Project Variables - Document wide variables allows you to save your standard dimensions in one place and use them in different studios across the document.

Alternate Versions

Originally we created a standard set of cabinet studios based on 2D sketches. Using this method, the sketches could be exported as dxf files and directly imported into our CAM software for programming. This method was great for exporting, but limited to changes and had almost no configurations.

Attempt 2, we created a standard set of cabinet studios based on 3D models. This method allowed us to change the model and add too it, but was not as good for exporting.

Attempt 3 involved a single model with one large configuration table. This method could do most of the things the current method can do. Due to the poor configuration, the studio became too cumbersome and would take too long for derivations.

Attempt 4 used assemblies and sub assemblies. This would be the most efficient way to do this, however there were issues with automatically updating assemblies and configured assemblies inside of drawings.

Attempt 5 is the current attempt and it is mostly functional.
Ways it could be better:
- Instead of many of configured features, use variables and logic variables to control a few number of sketches. This should increase the calculation efficiency.
- Use logic variables to suppress features. Currently, it is not possible to suppress features by variables. The Modular Cabinet has many features that are used by multiple configurations which means one configured suppression will not work. If the suppression could be controlled by variables, 1's & 0's, one suppression could be controlled by many different configurations.

We would like the next version to incorporate the instantiator by @Ilya_Baran. The cabinet would most likely be split into quadrants. Each compartment would be controlled by the instantiator.

Special Thanks To

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Wow!
    What a great example of how to use Onshape to set up a configurable tool for others to use!

I really like the way you use sketches as instructions! (Although, they'd prevent release of parts with Release Management, because they are in error state...I'm sure there's a way around that).

Amazing amount of work. - Nicely done!
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Wow!
    What a great example of how to use Onshape to set up a configurable tool for others to use!

I really like the way you use sketches as instructions! (Although, they'd prevent release of parts with Release Management, because they are in error state...I'm sure there's a way around that).

Amazing amount of work. - Nicely done!
    configure their suppression with a checkbox?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 75 EDU
    This is pretty fantastic use of Onshape!

What's your process for going to CAM now? (specifically what machines and CAM software are you using?)
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work @cache_river_millworks ! I hear @eric_schimelpfenig has something brewing for Onshape on the CAM side of things. Fingers crossed!  :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    This is pretty fantastic use of Onshape!

What's your process for going to CAM now? (specifically what machines and CAM software are you using?)

Our CAM software is Alphacam, nice software, but very old and out of date like all CAM software we have found...
    Our machine is a Felder Profit H50. It can do some neat things, but we do not recommend this machine due to the lack of tech support.

Once the parts are flattened we:
    1. Export the parts as solid parts.
    2. Import the parts into Alphacam.
    3. Extract the geometry off of the solid parts.
    4. Clean up the geometry.
    5. Apply toolpaths to the geometry.
    6. Check the sim.
    7. Generate code.
    We are looking forward to some CAM software that is as innovative as Onshape is. We have lots of experience with Alphacam if you ever need any software related feedback from another point of view.

Nice work @cache_river_millworks ! I hear @eric_schimelpfenig has something brewing for Onshape on the CAM side of things. Fingers crossed!  :)
    Thank you!

Really? I hope so, we can't wait for some modern CAM software.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @cache_river_millworks
    Any chance you'd make a video tour explaining what you're doing why and how here? I've dug around a bit, but I get the sense I don't know everything this setup is able to do. I like loom.com for quick videos like that.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    @cache_river_millworks
    Any chance you'd make a video tour explaining what you're doing why and how here? I've dug around a bit, but I get the sense I don't know everything this setup is able to do. I like loom.com for quick videos like that.
    Great idea. At the moment we are pretty busy, we may be able to once things calm back down.
    So now that VisualCAM C is gone, what are people doing to get things like these cabinets out to CAM? @Cache_River_Mill
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited December 2020
    @eric_schimelpfenig I have switched from using our Cache River company account to my personal account.

Our current process is slow and tedious, lots of manually extracting geometries and organizing parts.

I had a demo with CamWorks two days ago, very automated, I was impressed. It automatically skipped several of our current steps. We will probably be switching to CamWorks in the future.

With CamWorks, our work flow would look like this:
    • Import
    • Explode Parts (Automatic)
    • Extract Features (Automatic)
    • Nest Parts (Automatic)
    • Toolpath (Some guidance required)
    Our current work flow with Alphacam:
    • Import
    • Explode Parts (Manual)
    • Extract Geometries (Lots of guidance required)
    • Toolpath (Some guidance required)

CamWorks uses SolidWorks. We really want Onshape to team up with someone to make Cam software that is native to Onshape. The integrated apps are terrrible...

Perhaps we just need to hire someone to make a fancy feature! That might work...!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    Check this out @MichaelPascoe

https://youtu.be/ug3TvrJtVLQ

I use this example because it's more complex than most cabinets. 

What if you had something like that in Onshape. You could go from as assembly or part studio using a similar workflow. All feeds and speeds would be automatically calculated (adjustable by you if you want). Cut depth, machining strategy, dog bones, overcuts for pockets, cut order, etc can (And is) automated.

What we're building makes going from 3D model>CNC much like a printer. We also give the user pretty finite control over the process too should they want it. 

Imagine a scenario where a designer/engineer sets up the process and then hands the models off the production staff to actually run on the CNC.

Would that be useful to you?

@eric_schimelpfenig This would be very useful! 
    Bryan Lagrange

Yes, we would probably purchase that on the spot!

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    @MichaelPascoe We do have to build the Onshape side of it.... Right now we only support SketchUp import. While SU can work for cabinets there isn't any parametric functionality that's even close to the modular cabinet example.

What's your process now? Are you a custom cabinet shop, do do more than that? 

How's the design process work, do you have a few designers/engineers that hand things off to be produced?

And when they are being produced, what kind of machines are you running on?
    We primarily work with wood, but we can produce anything. Lots of remodels both residential and commercial.

The design process varies. Some times we need to match the clients plans. Other times we have the freedom to design it our selves.

Our machine hasn't changed for a while, still the Profit H50.

Does your CAD software change depending on what you're designing, or do you always use Onshape?

Also, that's a pod and rail machine if I'm not mistaken.. If that's the case are you cutting panels down on another machine first, or do you do all of the panel processing on it?

We are Onshape all the way! Our machine has a table on it too.

So @bryan_lagrange and @MichaelPascoe let me ask you this:

What are you both using for CAM now? (Mike I know you're using Alphacam) What do you like about it, and what do you dislike about it?

Sigma nest for laser, FlowCut FlowPath FlowNest for water jet, OmniWin for plasma. Would love to have one cloud integrated CAM.
    Bryan Lagrange

Before I start, here are some things to know:
    I have been using alphacam for 4 years now. The Alphacam support used to say we were unreasonable for the things we asked them for. After years of using the software I realize now that we were not unreasonable at all, they are just poorly managed. Basically... I strive to be more like Onshape.

Alphacam

Pros
    - No lag when viewing models. 0. Even Onshape has some lag, but not Alphacam.
    - It can do almost all types of 3 axis or 5 axis machining. 
    - Nesting geometry or tool paths.
    - It works well with 3DX Space Mouse.
    - Configurable shortcuts. Everything can be assigned to your keyboard.

Cons
    - The largest issue is that they have never ONCE fixed a problem or bug that we have requested to be fixed with the software. They only provide work around solutions.
    - The second largest set back is that almost everything needs geometry instead of a solid part. I never want to see a single geometric shape after I have completed a model. The info should already be there.
    - Most of the tool path tools only work under very specific conditions. The surface machining or 5 axis almost never works.
    - They advertise that the advanced 5 axis package will detect gouges and re-calculate. It does not. My disappointment of this feature can not be understated.
    - The simulations do not accurately portray what our machine cuts.
    - Nesting has lots of bugs which keeps you from nesting certain types of tool paths.
    - The surface machining rarely works correclty.

Here is an old list of our Alphacam issues. Note that some of the ones that were fixed were post related not software bugs. As you can see, we had some post issues too. That took quite a while to dispute.

• FdaFda Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Escriba su comentarioMichaelPascoe said:
    Alphacam

Pros

Cons

- The simulations do not accurately portray what our machine cuts.

As I understand it.
    If you want a realistic simulation, you have to add one more step. That includes testing the result of the cam in another software ...

- Ncsimul
    - Camplete
    - Vericut
  • FdaFda Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Would love to have one cloud integrated CAM.
    I think that's wonderful.

I would like to see more users requesting this.

I think I could be decisive for Onshape to succeed ...
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    Wow... I foolishly assumed that the software had caught up with the dream.. Model it, send it, watch it happen! Sounds like a real headache! 
    @Ste_Wilson That's what we've built for SketchUp. What's funny sometimes is that people don't believe that it's working because it happens so fast. That video I posted earlier of that X Table is real time, no editing.

@MichaelPascoe that's a great list. I think the biggest issue there is that Alphacam isn't actually processing your 3d geometry. That's our thing, all toolpaths are done off of a 3D model, NOT vectors that the user has selected. I'm also interested in the 5 axis stuff, what is it that you're doing that's 5 axis? You said something about surface machining... Are you doing 5 axis machining of complex surfaces, or are we just talking about edge boring panels and such.

@Fda and @MichaelPascoe is that really true that you have to simulate in ANOTHER software?

Just so anyone who's casually reading this is clear: We haven't built anything for Onshape yet, but we're thinking about it. Everything we've done thus far has been for SketchUp.

Please keep the ideas coming!
  • troy_ostrandertroy_ostrander Member Posts: 21
    @MichaelPascoe Thank you for sharing all your hard work.  This is super helpful for us to decide on a CAD solution for our cabinet business. 
  • christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    @eric_schimelpfenig my business and many others are looking for modern solutions to our Cad/Cams for woodwork in Australia. In terms of metrics, what kind of thing are you looking for to inspire development of integrated nesting CAM for onshape?

Lets say I got the interest of 5 representatives from joiners & wood work shops to collaborate on hypothetical and what it would take to get them over to onshape. Would that be something you're looking for?