Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using pictures to create models

christian_29christian_29 OS Professional Posts: 15 ✭✭
One of the features I would like to see is the ability to place pictures on a plane and be able to scale and rotate them. This would enable users to quickly recreate actual objects or reference geometry. I've used this technique quite a few times to recreate actual objects for which I know a single dimension to which I want to scale the image. MOI3D lets you do this and it works like a charm.

Here is one example for which I made the model public.

Tall Ship Steering Mechanism
I had 3 pictures of the actual mechanism and knew 2 dimensions. The pitch on the thread of the shaft is 1 in and the shaft diameter is 3.5 in.
Once the picture is placed on a plane and scaled to the correct size I could now trace the actual geometry of the mechanism and its parts.

Another example is this joy stick for which I took three pictures from front, left and top and added a tape measure to the picture. I then arranged the pictures in each plane and can now trace lines to recreated the part.

Allow transparency of the images and you have a very quick way to reproduce existing objects or reference geometry.

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes, I was just about to post a similar discussion. I just had to trace around some parts and want to do it in Onshape but it lacks the tools.

I Needed:

Ability to get a a bitmap picture on to a plane. (
    Scale sketch tool. I trace around the part in what ever scale then do a scale on the sketch line to get the part to the right size. 
    1:1 printout to check against part. (this will come with drawing but be great if you could do it direct from the part studio)

Bruce  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited June 2015
    Hey @christian_29  love your Tall Ship Steering Mechanism 

Great Work, could be MOTW
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    ..clip..
    Scale sketch tool. I trace around the part in what ever scale then do a scale on the sketch line to get the part to the right size. 
    1:1 printout to check against part. (this will come with drawing but be great if you could do it direct from the part studio)

Bruce  

Isn't this built-in feature already? If you sketch whole image and then add one known dimension the rest will scale accordingly.

+1 for using background images in sketch mode, this has been brought up few times; I suppose there is a ticket already. Not a priority addition for me. 
    //rami
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 Being able to import the image and having a good raster to vector convertor would work.
  • Options
    Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    +1 for importing images and making transparent!
  • Options
    3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    ..clip..

Bruce  

Isn't this built-in feature already? If you sketch whole image and then add one known dimension the rest will scale accordingly.

What I meant was scale a group of lines to a correct sizing after a tracing around the picture to get the general profile shape. I can't find this anywhere to do this easily. All I can do is scale the part after an extrude, which is a good work around but not ideal better to work at the sketch level. 

The sketch scale command would also be good for when we can import vectors (.ai, .dxf, etc) on a sketch plane.
  • Options
    @brucebartlett  I must be missing something, if you draw a bunch of lines in shape of say a car and then add dimension to any of those, it will scale all the lines accordingly.
    Look at my super nice example, just change the height of trunk and the whole car is scaled:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d29ff8e74a0f49809e533f48/w/48fedb2064cc4f30a27ee6e8/e/1a87e3329b4342e59c33007b

//rami
  • Options
    @3dcad yes it works with1 dimension, no need for a scale tool with this. Thats a very nice feature. I will have to see if SW does this as well.

• Options
    christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I'll add to this. I now have a PDF file on a floor plan in a tab. I would like to place that floor plan in a Parts Studio so I don't have to jump back and forth to see the dimensions.

Also, if I create the model in 'Feet' and I want to scale that down to fit into a 3D Printer volume... how could I scale the STL? I've run across this when the slicing software used doesn't have a choice for CM (go figure!) and have to have the STL recreated in MM, or am asked what units the 3D model was created in. If I model in 'Feet' and export the STL in 'MM'... would an 80FT wall become an 80MM wall in the STL. Hmmmm...
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't your slicer have a setting for scale?  Most of them do, with the option for separate scale factors in X, Y, and Z.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'll add to this. I now have a PDF file on a floor plan in a tab. I would like to place that floor plan in a Parts Studio so I don't have to jump back and forth to see the dimensions. -clip-
    You're working with only 1 screen? I have always plans in other screen and cad in another. But as a workflow to one screen I would open that pdf in another window and use alt+tab keys to quickly jump between (or whatever hotkeys your os supports).

Or use ipad / smart phone for viewing the dimensions..
    //rami
  • Options
    _2117_2117 Member Posts: 1
    I have several vector (line?) drawings that I'd like to trace via the sketch feature in OnShape.  The JPGs imported just fine.  But, it appears that I can't add the images to the workspace. Please add my vote for this feature.  Thank you.
  • Options
    erwin_1erwin_1 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I would like to add my vote too. Ability to work from either pixel- or vector based imported drawings in sketches would be great for me. 
  • Options
    imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Pretty sure you could do this using Solid Edge 2D (free) & export as a DXF (until Onshape is up & going with drgs that is)
  • Options
    JWPJWP Member Posts: 11 PRO
    I think this is what your looking for
    https://youtu.be/kJzFcOm_8TQ