Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - October 7th, 2020

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 33
edited October 2020 in New in Onshape
We are excited to share some highly requested features in this release, so I won't take up another moment of your time here. Let's just jump straight in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

EXPLODE LINES

You may now automatically create explode lines for your exploded views.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wr8wqu54xi?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

ADD ROTATION TO MATES

You may now specify an angle of rotation directly when defining a mate. This simplifies your workflow, which previously required defining the mate and then editing the mate connector to apply the rotation.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/syd89goj9a?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

This feature exists in all mates that currently support an "Offset" value, including Fastened, Revolute, Slider, Planar, and Pin-Slot mate types.

SHOW ASSEMBLY SKETCHES ON DRAWINGS

You may now show sketches in assembly drawing views. Sketches must have been explicitly inserted into the assembly for them to be shown.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/diet094ae6?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

The option for "Show sketches" will, by default, show ALL sketches that have been inserted into the assembly. However, you may control the visibility of sketches independently by utilizing Assembly Display states. 

NEW FILLET OVERFLOW OPTION

A new option has been introduced in the fillet feature, allowing you to control the edge overflow. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/qjga6afp3v?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

This will make it easier to capture the appropriate, machinable result, even on complex filleted edges.

GROUPING OF CALLOUTS 

Callouts can now be easily be grouped with other callouts. Simply drag and drop the callout to group it.

DIMENSION SPLINE HANDLE

You may now directly dimension and constrain the spline handle of a spline.

OVERRIDDEN DIMENSIONS ON PDF EXPORT

Dimensions on an Onshape drawing that have been manually overridden automatically receive an underline. A new option allows you to hide these underlines when exporting the drawing to a PDF.

IMPROVED glTF EXPORT 

The glTF format is the growing standard for graphical data interchange between systems. With this release, glTF export has been enhanced to include Onshape specific Deterministic Part IDs and Assembly Occurrence IDs: data required for associativity and metadata transfer.

"extensions": {
"PTC_onshape_metadata": {
"id": "JHG"
}
}

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ANNOUNCING: THE ONSHAPE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM

Onshape is pleased to announce the launch of a professional certification program for designers and engineers who use the Onshape platform.

The Certified Onshape Professional exam provides designer and engineers with the opportunity to gain accreditation and document their proficiency in the Onshape platform.

For more information, you can read the full announcement here.

CATEGORIES TECH BRIEFING

A new technical briefing on Getting Started with Categories has been published to the Learning Center. This document discusses what an Onshape Category is, and how to create your own to efficiently manage the scope of your Onshape Properties. 

PARAMETRIC AND CONFIGURATION VARIABLES TECH BRIEFING

Learn the similarities and differences between using parametric variables and configuration variables in this new tech briefing: Parametric Variables vs Configuration Variables

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• Matthew_WilsonMatthew_Wilson Member, csevp Posts: 4 PRO
    Excellent, I'm so happy to see rotation allowed in mate offsets, so much simpler to work with.  I also dimensioned a spline earlier this week and thought "Wait, how long have I been able to do *that*?"  Apparently not long ;-)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Some great updates.  Dimension spline and mate angle offset make things much easier!  And very excited to use the much need exploded line. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Great job on the explode line. Parts breakdowns just got a lot easier. 
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    The new rotation on mates is great and I love the way you solved the exploded lines creation.

Can someone explain this improvement listed in the Changelog:
    "Support category and configuration as parameters to part number generator uniqueness!"

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Explode lines 🤗 and callout grouping, yay! 😁 I never know what gets improved, but it’s always things I need (or sometimes really really want)! Thank you!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Amazing job as always Onshape.

Your exploded line edits look very clean and simple.
    Yes! Finally, Assembly Sketches is drawings!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305

"Support category and configuration as parameters to part number generator uniqueness!"

When using an external part number generator, Onshape can send category and configuration information to help generate more descriptive part numbers.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    wow! lots of goodies here. I just made a bunch of manual explode lines this week, so that looks awesome! I have been looking for the rotation in the fastened mate for a long time. dimensioning to spline handles is sooo handy since I almost never make a spline without also adding a construction line to lock it down. I'm also excited about the overflow option with Fillet, there are lots of times i'd find this handy
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    NeilCooke said:

When using an external part number generator, Onshape can send category and configuration information to help generate more descriptive part numbers.
    would love to see an example of this
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    All great updates. Explode Lines and Rotation to Mates! Great work.

I would love to see the Onshape PN generation with category / configuration as tabulated values (and I have immediate use for the solution as soon as it is available). Any partner apps that currently take advantage of this feature?

• Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Awesome! Have exploded lines feature finally... good job team, thanks.
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • Bayu_PrasetyoBayu_Prasetyo Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Awesome update!!!
    Now making assembly instruction more easier, just waiting for the exploded animation for the next update :smile:
    Good job team!
    Thanks
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Nice update, very useful features  :)
  • APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    Thank you Onshape team! I love the new updates. No more fiddly rotating of mate connectors! And showing sketches in drawings will be a real time saver. This week I needed a perforated detail in a drawing and modelled some heavy geometry to show this. Now I can do it with a sketch! Would have saved at least 10-15 mins which all adds up! 

• CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    Will the mate rotation allow us to pick a reference plane or edge to align an axis to? If not, that would be very helpful.
  • nbennettnbennett Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Explode lines look great. Does that mean we can expect to see 3D sketches in the near future as well?  :)
  • jack_spencer887jack_spencer887 Member Posts: 1
    Yay! I did not know how to use exploded views before, but now it automatically does it!!!
  • S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    Awesome! I'm especially excited for the exploded view lines, mate rotations, and callout grouping. Bravo, OS!
  • JAN_RJAN_R Member, csevp Posts: 11 PRO
    You guys got me all excited - rotating mates!  I've been looking forward to that one for a long long time.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Spline handle dimensions, this will speed things up.

Thanks Onshape Team!!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • richard_marcusrichard_marcus Member Posts: 17 EDU
    In the variables tech briefing, you state "You can define the value of a Parametric variable off of a user inputted value, dimension, formula, another variable, or any combination of them." 

Is it really possible to define the value of a variable off of a dimension? I haven't found that you can use dimensions like this. 
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Is it really possible to define the value of a variable off of a dimension?
    @richard_marcus ,  check out this FeatureScript :smile: : Measure Distance
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • Marlon_GonzalesMarlon_Gonzales Member Posts: 1
    Please add the remove parameters on the parts so that it will not be dependent on the sketch or other functions. It will make it easier & faster to design by copying a body/part or particular shape that will be used again.
  • Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO

ADD ROTATION TO MATES is a massive improvement. Thanks

• gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Great improvements! Sketches in assembly long overdue and rotating mate connectors! Yeah!!!
  • S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
    The explode lines are a nice addition. They look good in the model. However, they show as solid lines on a drawing, not phantom lines like they look in the model. Is there a setting in drawings that can change the appearance of these?