Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 15th, 2021

Ignacio_Martos_Ignacio_Martos_ Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 18
edited December 2021 in New in Onshape
As we near the end of the year Onshape brings an exciting new release with big general improvements to the product! 

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

CONSTANT WIDTH FILLET

Fillets can now be defined by a constant width for cosmetically pleasing transitions between faces.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/gqii8y33az

RENDER OPTIONS FOR TANGENT EDGES

Tangent edges can now be visualized in the graphics window of the Part Studio. Allowing you to render them as phantom, visible, or hidden. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jp9xob482y

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS 

GENERAL TASKS AND ACTION ITEMS

We have added the ability to generate tasks in the action items tab which don’t need to reference a comment or document. Allowing you to manage tasks at large through the action items interface. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/eww61cyvj8

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

CONTROL LINE STYLE PITCH

Drawing Properties now allow for greater control of line style for center lines, hidden lines and phantom tangent lines. 

ADD ALIGNED SECTION VIEW

When previously representing complex cylindrical objects in a drawing it could be arduous to clarify small nuances utilizing the regular section view. Aligned view will help you represent these parts with more clarity. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/np66bcnolk

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

DOWNLOAD USER LIST TO A CSV FILE

For bulk removal of users in Enterprise accounts we have added an option to download the entire user list, allowing you to more effectively manage licence provisioning. 

NEW GLOBAL PERMISSION - MANAGE WORKFLOW

Enterprise users can now publish and debug workflows without being a full administrator.

DEBUG MODE AND AUDIT LOG

Modifying and testing workflows has just become easier with the addition of two new developer tools. 

Anyone with the Manage Workflows global permission can now submit an item through a workflow in “Debug mode” by selecting a checkbox in the “Select Workflow” dialog. Debug Mode will reference the workspace of that workflow, allowing testing, debugging, and iteration without needing to publish the workflow to the entire company. 

To further assist with debugging, we have added the option to “View Audit Log” within any release package. This log will contain information about events that happened to objects passing through the workflow. Note that this information is also available to Professional users as well as through the API.

PROPERTY UPDATES UPON TRANSITION

Custom workflows can now leverage FeatureScript by referencing a function in a transition action. This transition action is named "updateItemPropertiesFromFeatureScript", and usage details can be found in the Help documentation

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9s2c5umfyp 

LEARNING CENTER UPDATES

LOCALIZATION UPDATES

All of the technical briefings in the Onshape Learning Center are now available in German and French. Change the language by navigating to the article and selecting the language in the pulldown.

Onshape on an iOS Mobile Device

This new self-paced course explores using Onshape on an iOS mobile device. Learn how to sign-in, model parts, assemble components, collaborate, and manage data on the go! This course is available to all Onshape users.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments on the Onshape Forum. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Onshape Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• kai_yangkai_yang Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Would be nice to have the tangent line option for assembly studio, too.
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Constant width fillet is nice!  I have been uncomfortable with fillet performance many times here and in other software and did not really consider that a solution could exist.  Nice!  Disappointed that hiding tangent edges isn't available in assemblies.  Assemblies is kind of the tab I end with meaning, I most likely want to save out some clean .png's from an assembly not from a part studio.  Can hardly wait till we can create a dimension projected along a specific line.
  • james_closejames_close Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    FeatureScript outside of Part Studio ?  I wonder if this means FeatureScript is coming to other Studio's ?  Hmmmm
  • devin_johnson79devin_johnson79 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    Great release! I really like the task addition which will streamline our internal processes. 
  • Barry_van_WijkBarry_van_Wijk Member Posts: 43 PRO
    What am i doing wrong? I don#t see the 

"CONSTANT WIDTH FILLET"

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited November 2021
    I believe this update earns a table flip.  (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻  Each of these are too legit.

Thank's Onshape team!

:o:joy:
    @ilya_baran said:

@ james_close Sorry, it does not, at least not to assemblies any time soon.  Another interesting use of FeatureScript is coming, though.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    @Barry_van_Wijk, its an adjustment to fillet shape so rather than being a separate tab, like full round fillet, the constant width option should be on the cross-section drop down that defaults to circular.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Nice improvements!

The Action Items are Enterprise only, correct?  It is noted under General Improvements....
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44
    @bruce_williams

You can find Action items under the user dropdown menu. Action items are just a bit more discoverable in Enterprise since we have that Action items tab on the Documents page.

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited November 2021
    @grochino

Thank you! I now see the Action Items on account drop down.  When I searched help I got an enterprise linked page (see below) and that threw me off.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @Barry_van_Wijk, I think it's just that you're in an older part studio that hasn't been upgraded yet.  Remember the note at the bottom:
    The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Onshape Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • grochinogrochino Moderator, Onshape Employees, User Group Leader Posts: 44
    @bruce_williams
    I also did a double-take when searching in the Help Documentation :D I'll let the documentation team know so they can make it more clear.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Constant Width Fillet - great for designers, thank you!
    Property Updates upon Transition - very exciting!

Still looking out for computed properties... ?

Way to go team!
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements!!

But... I think I have just find the first issue with the new fillet option

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And in addition, the option of constant width would also be great in chamfers

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited November 2021
    @emagdalenaC2i

This is a limitation of our constant-width fillet implementation.  If you hover over the red failure, you will see that we do have a specific error string for this limitation:

It is possible to fix this, but will require a serious amount of nontrivial development on our side. We decided to ship with the limitation since the improvement provides a behavior that is otherwise unachievable and the workaround is pretty simple (splitting into separate fillet features).

Please feel free to submit a support ticket so that we can capture requests to prioritize this further improvement.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @emagdalenaC2i

We decided to ship with the limitation since the improvement provides a behavior that is otherwise unachievable and the workaround is pretty simple (splitting into separate fillet features).
    I totally agree
    @emagdalenaC2i

Please feel free to submit a support ticket so that we can capture requests to prioritize this further improvement.
    I did, but as you mentioned, this issues has a simple workaround. So don't give it too much importance
    Un saludo,

edited November 2021
    grochino said:
    @bruce_williams

You can find Action items under the user dropdown menu. Action items are just a bit more discoverable in Enterprise since we have that Action items tab on the Documents page.

But you can't create new tasks outside the Enterprise domain or with an Onshape Standard or Professional account, right?

Un saludo,

• Ignacio_Martos_Ignacio_Martos_ Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    edited November 2021
    What am i doing wrong? I don#t see the 

"CONSTANT WIDTH FILLET"

This option will only be available in new documents as of right now.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited November 2021
    grochino said:
    @bruce_williams

But you can't create new tasks outside the Enterprise domain or with an Onshape Standard or Professional account, right?

UPDATE Yes you can.  It is in the action items area of your Standard or Pro account under the Avatar menu in the upper right.  They are owned by the company you are in.  If you have more questions, please submit a ticket and I can explain further.

Standard users will have to use comment tasks since general tasks are in PRO and ENTERPRISE at this time.  Sorry for the confusion.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxmXIn-5PQ
    Un saludo,

• ChuckKeyChuckKey Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    Delighted to see constant width fillet addressed, particularly as I made an/(the?) improvement request (some time ago). The single chain feature is not a terrible problem.

I have already improved several parts by removing variable fillets with all their nasty splits and anchor points.

The tool does not seem to cope with a 'run out', for example the intersection of two cylinders of the same diameter with coplanar axes. But I suppose that there would be singularities at the two points where the surfaces are tangential.

• ivan_skachko548ivan_skachko548 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I've been waiting for aligned section views for so long, and now the new era begins! 
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    @wayne_sauder If the stars align properly, Michael and I will be doing a live version of the podcast on YouTube highlighting this release. We should know soon, and the link will be posted here in the forums.