Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create a countersunk hole?

4DeltaEDU4DeltaEDU OS Professional Posts: 15 PRO
I am trying to create a countersunk hole using various commands on Onshape but I have been unsuccessful.
I tried to create a large circle on the top surface and a smaller on the lower and loft it. Didn't work. I tried the chamfer command in various ways (it does kind of word but not with the dimensions that I want)

Specifications
Top hole: 8.5mm
bottom hole: 4.5mm

Is there anyway to achieve the result shown in the photo with the specifications mentioned above?

Many thanks.

I have attached a photo of the countersunk hole the way I want it to look

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited July 2015
    @george_papageorgiou Currently we do not have a hole tool but we are working on it.  I can add you down for the request.  At this time you will need to either do a hole with a chamfer or a revolved profile.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Lou - please add me to the hole tool request.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you know the outside diameter of the chamfer, an easy method (once extrudes are provided with a "Draft angle" option, hint hint!) will be to sketch a circle of that diameter on the outside face, then extrude (removing material) with draft of the desired angle.
    In the meantime you will need to draw that circle for the purposes of construction, in order to "pierce" it with the orthogonal sketch used as the revolve (removing material) profile.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Doesn't chamfer with option 'Two distances' give full control over creating intended geometry? Create circle with 4,5mm dia - extrude and chamfer top to 8,5mm and set another dimension according to material thickness.

Or are you asking for one step solution?
    //rami
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad
    Rightly or wrongly, I assumed @george_papageorgiou was looking for a solution which would recalculate correctly when a single diameter dimension was changed. Rather than him having to do maths to derive a chamfer dimension which resulted in that diameter. (Admittedly, the necessary maths ops could be captured fairly transparently in the dimension entry box)

But I could easily have the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    First of all a big thank you to everyone here for the quick response. I appreciate it guys!!

I have tried with the two direction tool but all it does is expanding the bottom hole. It does not alter the gap between the bottom and top hole. Maybe I am not using it right, I don't know. Andrew, all I want to do is create a hole exactly like the one on the picture attached (not my design). I thought Chamfer would be the best option. Its either not or I am not using it right. I also tried loft. Next thing I am gonna try is create a cross sectional plane and design a 2D profile of the screw hole, then revolve it. It's a little bit too much of an effort for something that looks so simple and quick but I can't think of another way, given the tools I have.

Thank you all!

George 
  • Options
    Thank you 3dcad and nav!!

3dcad, this is exactly what I am after. Now can you walk me through how you did it? 
    Did you sketch large hole on top then small hole on bottom then create a hole,using the small hole then Chamfer command?
    Or you created one hole and used chamfer to covert or divert to the next?

thanks a bunch 

George 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Check out the link I posted, there is public document you can look..

Just create hole with 4,5 dia and then chamfer 2mm
    //rami