Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Standard Content - Edit Appearance

CAD_Hero_1337CAD_Hero_1337 Member Posts: 12 PRO
edited October 2018 in General
I am adding in standard content...
6-32 x .25 phillips flat head - stainless steel - black

I want the hardware to be black in the model and not just show up in the BOM indicating it should be black.

Support said that i should right click on the part in the list and choose "edit appearance" but that option is not there. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    edited October 2018
    @David_Harris_420 ,

You cannot change the color of standard content at this time. They are versioned parts and we do not have a mechanism for you to change colors of versioned parts. We could, in the future, include it as a company defined property much like standard content part number and description. 

Not everyone wants content to be the color it exists as in real life. Some companies want different sizes or types of fasteners to be different colors to easily identify them on an assembly.

We will be adding you to an improvement request.
    Support & QA
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Please will you add me to this request also? 
    I too set a Standard Content bolt instance to be "black" as I have stainless and black bolts in an assembly and wanted the build instruction to be clear.  As it stands they're all grey and this isn't helpful.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • CAD_Hero_1337CAD_Hero_1337 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    @Jason_S ... That would be great. I mean at least make the black hardware black when you make the selection, version out a black one. Would be best to be able to control it yourself. Also... on the drawing at the bottom of the standard content relating to the screw head... it would be great that the drawing changes from slot, type 1, etc...

It clarifies the selection and eliminates confusion. Thanks for adding me and your time to write back.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2018
    agreed,  colour of the content is important to me too.  Black (dark grey), Yellow Chromate (off yellow), Chrome silver (light grey), S/S (light grey). These colors can help to determine that finished product is built with consistency. Generally purchase part will vary in part number based on colour so ultimately, chrome silver or yellow chromate part will have a different part number. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • CAD_Hero_1337CAD_Hero_1337 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    @brucebartlett I wouldn't be surprised if this is updated soon. They are amazing at quickly creating improvements. Its come a long way in the two years I have been using this.
  • Breanna_HaytonBreanna_Hayton Member Posts: 1
    @Jason_S Do you know if this enhancement has been released yet? It would be very handy to show the appropriate colour hardware during design reviews. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the menu option or find any other info on it. Thanks!
  • Frank_AruteFrank_Arute Member, csevp Posts: 3 PRO
    @Breanna_Hayton It doesn't look like this has been released yet.

Having the appearance and also vendor be company defined parameters would make standard content useful for our group too.
  • JanikJanik Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Jason_S said:
    @David_Harris_420 ,

You cannot change the color of standard content at this time. They are versioned parts and we do not have a mechanism for you to change colors of versioned parts. We could, in the future, include it as a company defined property much like standard content part number and description. 

Not everyone wants content to be the color it exists as in real life. Some companies want different sizes or types of fasteners to be different colors to easily identify them on an assembly.

We will be adding you to an improvement request.
    Would I be able to make a similar request?

Thank you,
    Janik
  • Scott_MorrisScott_Morris Member Posts: 17 EDU
    Requested in 2018, does not appear to be delivered yet. This is not a critical issue for me, but it would be nice to have. I create a lot of screen shots and images from CAD and its important to be able to change the source colors without trying to post process color changes. 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    As a work around, you could create a derived part from standard content and assign an appearance to that. Most likely this is not a great solution for large numbers of fasteners.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    @S1mon
    I had that thought before but standard content isn't available for deriving in unfortunately!
    The closest alternative is to use a context and "copy in place".
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    @eric_pesty

Ugh. I just assumed that standard content worked like any other parts. 

I guess this is one more reason that it would be nice to have "semi-custom" or "semi-standard" (?) content which could be customized more than what's currently available.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    S1mon said:
    @eric_pesty

Ugh. I just assumed that standard content worked like any other parts. 
    I know! We are a bit spoiled with Onshape where you usually just "assume" things are going to work as you would expect... But sometimes that's not the case!
  • Frank_BertucciFrank_Bertucci Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Also would love to have this. It helps with rendering workflows so the hardware is all grouped and easy to assign textures in keyshot. It also helps with instructional material.