Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Collaborative project - Topic vote

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited November 2014 in Using Onshape
I propose a collaborative design project, inspired by the classic Quadro construction toy.

For those of you who don't know Quadro:
Quadro is a construction toy for indoor and outdoor active play. Consisting of a number of tubes, connectors and various accessoiries, it is highly modular. Tubes and connectors are made of durable plastic and can be assembled using special plastic screws. A great many different constructions can be made through different combinations of these basic elements.
The design of the toy has remained largely unchanged since 1979.
The core user group are children aged 3 to 8 yrs (and their parents of course  :) ).
(I prepared a Quadro kit document in the Public space.)

I see a few possibilities for a redesign...
Which of these projects do you prefer?
A ) A construction toy for older kids (8 to 12 yrs) (think Lego Technic vs Duplo  ;) )
B ) A modular furniture system, where connectors can be combined with wood beams, planks
C ) A sturdy kit for commercial use for larger sizes or for permanent outdoor use. Using different materials etc.
D ) A modular exhibition stand kit
E ) Other suggestions? (Please add in reply!)

Depending on the outcome of the voting, I will draft a project brief.
In terms of design tasks, these would make sense:
* Connector design
* Tube/Structural member design
* Assembled designs
* Accessory design

I hope you guys are excited to start working collaboratively!

Dries

Comments

• jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    I vote C.  Count me in!
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    C and I'm in I want to make some BIG 3D printers and this would be perfect for that...
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited November 2014
    Awesome!
    I will end the voting Monday 3rd November @ 23:59 EST.

Btw, is there a way I can add an actual poll to this thread?...

Dries
    edited November 2014
    Ben said:
    C and I'm in I want to make some BIG 3D printers and this would be perfect for that...
    3D printing the results sounds cool!

Dries
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited November 2014
    I can 3d print and laser cut the results for sure but I was intending on having the structures strong enough to make a delta printer to extrude a plaster/clay/cement that is something like 8' tall :)

Lets make a construction kit for adults and call it tinker tubes (spinoff of one of my favourite toys as a kid 'tinker toys')

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I vote C as well. A slide for the pool on one day, and a stair case to the trampoline the next.. reuse and refit.  Cool stuff.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Well, why not.  I vote C.  Tinker tubes.... has a nice ring.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
    C it is then!
    I'll send out a project brief later today to those who voted.

Dries
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    edited November 2014
    Ben said:
    @Ben‌ I am almost finished building my Gigabot 3D printer.  2' x 2' x 2' build volume :smile:.  My second-favorite 3D printer next to my MarkForged Mark 1 -- prints fiber-reinforced parts that are incredibly strong.

I think both printers are going to be handy for some Tinker Tubes parts.

Dries I'll look forward to the brief.  Might I suggest you Share it as a Tab in an Onshape Document?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited November 2014
    I've been slammed at work and inattentive, 'C' is fine by me.

Will you please share with me.

I just got my makergear and can also make stuff.

Btw, I'm a bit tied up right now with other stuff. So collaborative design will be sparse on my end for now. However, there's a very long weekend coming up for me. :)

Dries
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    What happened with this?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested as well, if only for some experience working on a collaborative project and trying out things I don't come across in my day-to-day work.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    This was a very early try at collaboration  that never went any where. I believe there were so many other new things to explore that people lost attention to this thread. There's another collaborative motorcycle project that started and then faded. 

I think its a great idea to have a forum based project, just not sure what to build.

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    I think we should try once more to create and manage a collaborative project. With some intermediation and advice directly from Onshape it can be a great way to showcase Onshape's potential as well as build more community cohesion.

I do think however that there needs to be some form of overarching direction or management scheme to guide and assist in the development. Similar to how real-world projects require management. I would love to see Onshape employees assist in this to help the community and to strengthen the connection between company and end-user. I would hate to see this powerful concept of a collaborative project be forgotten again.

Let's keep this discussion going as a community and build something cool to show off!

Regards, Michael
    edited January 2019
    @michael_mcclain you're spot on.

One thing that becomes obvious, and it's true about any project, the management is so important. 

I would like to participate if one was put together. 

@philip_thomas where are you? he's probably buried teaching other things.