Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 18th, 2022

mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 61
edited February 2022 in New in Onshape

With this update you can expect many updates in the area of drawings as well as another highlight: FRAMES!

Let's have a look!

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

FRAMES

Structural frames are useful for many designs across multiple industries and they can now be easily created natively in Onshape, using the Frame feature. A library of standard steel profiles are included and custom profiles to represent any material type can be easily added. Accurate cut lists make it easy to document your designs and convey the right information to manufacturing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3q6n1hjwlo?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

EXCLUDE/INCLUDE PARTS FROM SECTION VIEWS

In order to better display internal components, there is now the option to include or exclude individual components from a section view.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/w4rxsvicj0?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SHOW/HIDE EDGES CURVATURE VISUALIZATION

The curvature visualization tool now includes an option to hide or show edges. This makes it easier to analyze the transition between surfaces when curvature continuity is important. The option “show edges” is the default setting.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/r73vf78mx5?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

CONTROL THE NUMBER OF U/V CURVES

When using the Show curvature tool, it’s now possible to control the number of U-curves and V-curves. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jykcv9m3vh?embedType=iframe&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

"LOOP / CHAIN CONNECTED EDGES" ADDED FOR OPEN SURFACES

The create selection tool now includes an option to select "Loop/chain connected edges" for open surfaces. Select one of the edges of the open surface that you want to include, and all others connected edges will be added to the selection.

VARIABLE DESCRIPTIONS

Variables can now be assigned descriptions to make them easier to use and understand.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ov65smp10a?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

BATCH EXPORT FROM TAB MANAGER

Multiple tabs of the same type can be now exported all at once.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/onv2ctq5v8?embedType=iframe&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

CUSTOMIZE CUSTOM TABLES

Columns in custom tables can now be moved and hidden to customize your view of the data.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/xrhrsvo5x3?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=1280

SEARCH CUSTOM FEATURES

The Search tools button in the top right corner of a Part Studio can be used to quickly find a modeling feature even if it is not currently on your toolbar. The search feature has been extended to include a curated set of custom features that have been quality checked and maintained by Onshape. At this time, there are 6 custom features that can be searched for: Spur gearBeltLightenPoint pattern3D Lines, and Wiring with more to be added in the future. The search results dialog will show a description, an image and a “+” button next to the feature name so you can add it to your toolbar if you wish.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

COPY AND PASTE DRAWING VIEWS

Drawing views, including dimensions and other annotations, can now be copied. Select one or more views and annotations then right-click to get the new context menu option "Copy". The copied views can be pasted onto any sheet of a drawing or any other drawing in the same document. Alternatively, the key combination ctrl/cmd + c/v can be used for this process.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2n6zuszgy3?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SHOW AND HIDE INSPECTION ITEMS

Inspection items can now be easily hidden or shown by activating the button on the toolbar.

ASSIGN INSPECTION ITEMS TO TITLE BLOCK FIELDS

With this update, inspection items can also be assigned to fields of the title block, even if they are locked.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ib28rvq3k1?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ISO ORDINATE DIMENSION STYLE

In the drawing properties panel, under the dimensions tab, there is a new sub group named “Ordinate dimensions”. Here you will find a dropdown menu where you can change the dimension style from ANSI to ISO. All legacy drawings will be set to the ANSI option, but can easily be switched to ISO. All existing ordinate dimensions on the drawing will change to the selected style and any new ordinate dimensions will also follow this new style choice. In addition, this setting can be stored in drawing templates.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/dt2wnkkxkp?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

AUXILIARY VIEW DIRECTION ARROW AND VIEW LABEL

When creating an auxiliary view, a name is now also assigned, which is displayed as a view label on the drawing. Arrows pointing to the view plane are also displayed by default, but can optionally be hidden.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/v8fo1zxa0z?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

"LAST SIGNED IN" ADDED TO THE USERS LIST

A new sortable column called "Last signed in" has been added to the users list in Onshape Enterprise. This allows you to easily see which users have not signed in to the enterprise for a period of time.

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

APPROXIMATE SURFACES AS B-SPLINES

Given a query for a face, FeatureScript can now return its approximation as a B-spline surface, including trim boundaries. The returned representation includes a surface, the boundary loop as 2D splines in UV space, and any interior loops. More information can be found in the FeatureScript Library.

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

COPY AND PASTE PARTS AND SUBASSEMBLIES

On iOS devices, parts and subassemblies can now be copied and pasted into any assembly tab of the document. In the 3 dot menu of the instance list there is now the option to copy. If objects are selected in the graphics area, the copy command is also found in the context menu.

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

The following Render Studio improvements will be available in the coming days.

ZOOM TO WINDOW

The keyboard shortcut W can now be used to zoom to window to quickly zoom to an area of interest.

DELETE SCENE CONFIRMATION DIALOG

An additional confirmation dialog has been added to the delete scene action to prevent accidental deletion.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ADMINISTERING ONSHAPE ENTERPRISE SELF-PACED COURSE

Onshape has a new course for administrators of Onshape Enterprise. This course covers setting up enterprise level settings, features, and permissions as well as recommended strategies for how to implement different tools. This new self-paced course is available to Professional and Enterprise users.

VIDEO UPDATES

A few videos have been updated in existing courses to reflect new options and features that were released. This includes the Feature list Filters and Folders video in the Multi-part Part Studios course, the Isolate video in the Onshape Assemblies course, the Creating in-context references video in the Managed In-context Design course, and a new video on searching the Document history in the Document History and Versions course.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI

Comments

• Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Wow !  I am impressed.  Thank you :)
  • david_bornsteindavid_bornstein Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Another awesome update! Thank you!
  • shrekantshrekant Member Posts: 16 EDU
    edited February 2022
    Exclude parts from sections!
    Finally, I can demonstrate assemblies to my students directly without using configurations tool.

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Looks pretty slick!
    Just one thing to nitpick: I'm not seeing a lumber library, which is pretty useful for frames! Obviously "someone" will come up with a library that can be used but the "beams" feature has lumber (and I did use it a couple of times).

I'll be using variable descriptions too as it will make it easier to keep the names short!
    Batch export will save time too!
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100
    edited February 2022
    Looks pretty slick!
    Just one thing to nitpick: I'm not seeing a lumber library, which is pretty useful for frames! Obviously "someone" will come up with a library that can be used but the "beams" feature has lumber (and I did use it a couple of times).

I'll be using variable descriptions too as it will make it easier to keep the names short!
    Batch export will save time too!

Eric, we do intend to expand the libraries in future. But in the meantime it is very easy to use your own custom libraries - something that I'll be showing in my session at the upcoming Onshape Live conference </plug>
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    @NeilCooke Frames looks very nice! I especially like the frame trim feature. Does this mean your FeatureScript Beams retires after 28 amazing versions?
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Thanks,

8020 frames are a really nice enhancement. Let's hope they add their entire catalog inside OS and include moving assemblies. 

• STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    You don't stop make my day every 3 weeks!
  • DarkmannDarkmann Member Posts: 5
    The functionality yo! Y'all spoil us!
  • mac_cameronmac_cameron Member, Developers Posts: 1 PRO
    Awesome update!! 
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    Can't wait to try the Beam improvements and section views!
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I wanted to add a quick note about the frames tools based on some messages about them not appearing.

If you have customized the Part Studio toolbar in the past and not using the default toolbar, new features are not added to the toolbar automatically.  They will need to be brought back in using the Customize toolbar... option in the context menu.

Right click on the toolbar and choose Customize toolbar...

Add the tools back to the toolbar (or Reset to default for them to be automatically populated in the future)

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited February 2022
    @NeilCooke   @jakeramsley    @GregBrown
    One question about frames that I did not see covered in the video is, how are they handled when inserted into an assembly and getting the correct population of the BOM?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited February 2022
    @NeilCooke   @jakeramsley    @GregBrown
    One question about frames that I did not see covered in the video is, how are they handled when inserted into an assembly and getting the correct population of the BOM?

Hi wayne_sauder,

When a cut list is created of a group of frames, a composite part is created but does not remove the individual frames.  For an assembly, the individual frames or the composite part can be inserted.  If it is the individual frames, each frame will be listed as individual line items on the BOM.  If the composite part is inserted, then the entire frame is treated as an individual part and added to the BOM as a single line item.

I assume you are thinking of identical frames created in the Part Studio brought into the assembly.  At this point, those two frames are not instantiated in the Part Studio so will be treated as two different parts in the assembly and thus two different line items on the BOM.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • ErgoflexErgoflex Member Posts: 4 PRO
    the "batch export from tab manager" is an amazing update but it would allow for the export of the active configuration of the part/assembly, I hope you can add an update for "batch export from assembly tree" since you know that sometimes an assembly include different configurations.
  • a_campbella_campbell Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Wow! The new frames feature will be super useful for quickly knocking together woodworking designs. Thanks!
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited February 2022
    So much awesomeness! Thank you Onshape team! 

Search custom features. This brings me tears of joy :joy:

I like that render Neil threw in there.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to try out "Frames".  Weldment cut lists at last!!
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    edited February 2022
    Ergoflex said:
    the "batch export from tab manager" is an amazing update but it would allow for the export of the active configuration of the part/assembly, I hope you can add an update for "batch export from assembly tree" since you know that sometimes an assembly include different configurations.
    @Ergoflex Configuration is a tricky one as configuration that you see in tab is whatever user looked last and different for different users. When you say ""batch export from assembly tree" do you mean export all unique part configuration version used in assembly (equivalent to exporting each BOM row)? Will it be better to export from BOM?

Would you need subassemblies from tree also? There may be duplication of lots of data if we select all subassemblies so I am wondering what will be useful for subassemblies. 
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    This is an incredible update!  I have no trouble dealing with a laggy system for one day just before an update like this!  Beams looks very nice.  I like that the cutlist is a stand alone feature.  makes a lot of sense to calculate the cutlist once the work is done.  I will be honest, I haven't played with it yet but I'm concerned about using a frame in an assembly.  What of making a drawing of that assembly and how does the bom deal with the cutlist that most certainly needs to be included into that assembly bom?
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Great job Onshape team. Thank you to Neil who kindly provided Beams while we waited for native Frames. Love the section view include/exclude!
  • james_closejames_close Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Frames - I suggest you take a look at Exporting Structural analysis data formats for STAAD and RSTAB .
    The formats are ASCII .
    The centerline geometry , justification, rotation and profile designations are required.   
    Matching profile names between systems is the nightmare.

Great update all around, very impressive for quality and quantity.
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    Yes!!! Thank you! Frames!!!
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Great set of improvements!