Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to use uploaded part in a Part Studio?

christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
Hello,

I am probably missing something but I cannot figure how this.

I created a new document and in the Part Studio I started to create a plastic enclosure. Now, I have a PCA in solidworks and I exported it in Parasolid format. While in the Document I clicked Upload and I was able to upload and Translate the PCA and it showed up in an Assembly tab. I added the enclosure to the assembly.

What I would like to do, in the context of the assembly, is to use the mounting holes in the PCA to create the bosses in the enclosure. It does not seem like I can edit the enclosure in the assembly, and i can not find a way to insert the PCA assembly into the Part Studio where I can edit the enclosure.

Can someone please point out what I am missing here?

Thanks,
Christopher

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Your not missing anything. There is no way to import into part studio's yet. Also you can not edit in context in the assembly but you can RMB on a part and go to it's part studio (this is handy).

You can also translate the assembly into a parasolid and then re-translate into a part studio but that's much help as you will lose your history tree for the part already started. Best to start with the parts you want to build around in a part studio and go from here.

Hope this helpful
    Bruce

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but it is helpful. I already have the Part Studio for the assembly so I can go recreate my enclosure in it.

Thanks for the help!
    Christopher
  • LesLes Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem and hope that onshape are going to fix this
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    If this requirement were to crop up again, I wonder if you (or anyone else in this situation) could save the Solidworks assembly as a part (solids, not surfaces), THEN save that part as a parasolid, to avoid the problem at the Onshape end? 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    yeap, me too, I'd like this fixed also.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @christopher_quijano Onshape takes a little different approach to organizing the model data than SolidWorks. If you think of a part studio as an in-context assembly rather than a multi-body part it will help you get up to speed quicker.
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited August 2015
    @christopher_quijano ...if you didn't notice, today Onshape rolled out their latest update which includes support for importing entities from one part studio to another within the same document. So you can fix your problem now. EDIT: By using the derived tool to bring in the PCB and standoff parts into your enclosure studio where you can then use them to place your bosses and holes.

Beware that Onshape is not friendly to collaboration with external tools. Import and export are one-time things. The tabs say "update" but what they mean is 'delete this and upload a new one'.  So make sure you are happy with your SolidWorks model before bringing it in.
    @traveler_hauptman
    I like your answers a lot, but I'm not convinced you're in the right thread.

I could be wrong here, and sure we have to read between the lines somewhat, but isn't the OP essentially importing a parasolid assembly into Onshape, and wanting it to end up in a Part Studio so he can do stuff to it?
    @andrew_troup
    Yeah, I guess it does read a bit strangely. I went to answer the question and then saw that Bruce had done so, so I stripped out everything that was redundant which left the posts being tips for SW users rather than the OP's original question.

Thanks, @traveler_hauptman, that makes sense to me now
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    traveler_hauptman,what you said "today Onshape rolled out their latest update which includes support for importing entities from one part studio to another within the same document.", how nice this improvement is !So we can import some parts from another part studio to the studio in which we are modeling, and make these parts as modeling reference,it is much more convenient! I remembered when I was modeling a cab assembly two months ago,I creat a part studio for cab frame,and finished modeling it , after that I wanted to creat another part studio for cab fitting, but I could not import cab frame to cab fitting part studio as reference. But now it comes true,how convenient it is !
    @shanshan I agree it's a nice step in the right direction. 
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see this update.this option solve the problems like casting part taking to machining...Now by using "Derived" option we can take casting model to another part studio to do machining operation..

Really a nice update.. 
    Narayan_K said:
    Nice to see this update.this option solve the problems like casting part taking to machining...Now by using "Derived" option we can take casting model to another part studio to do machining operation..

Really a nice update.. 
    Good point: that gives us a workaround, in situations of that type, for not yet having configurations...

It seems from a cursory look that we don't get any discretion in the location of the derived item in the destination studio. Or do we?

(Not that it matters, in the casting/machining situation ... but in the case of, say, derived sketches, in particular, it seems to me that would frequently be essential. Maybe we can work around it in the short term by copying and pasting, but then we lose the live link....)
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @andrew_troup,We can get the location of derived part...Just right clicking on the derived part we can see from which part studio it is...or we can switch to that part studio where we build that part...

edited August 2015
    Narayan_K said:
    @andrew_troup,We can get the location of derived part...Just right clicking on the derived part we can see from which part studio it is...or we can switch to that part studio where we build that part...

Sorry, I used unclear language: I was asking how we control or change the location (the position and orientation, in 2D space for sketches and 3D for parts) at the destination studio.

As I understand it, the item arrives in the same relativity to the datum planes as it had in the studio it came from, but I hope I have that wrong.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    As I understand it, the item arrives in the same relativity to the datum planes as it had in the studio it came from, but I hope I have that wrong.
    Yes, that is how the derived features work.  You should be able to use a transform feature on them afterwords if you need to move them.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I was hoping to use derived features for bring in the dowel (for example) - multiple times - to avoid having 30 different parts that are all the same..

I though this could be used for all static standard parts which don't need moving mates. But using transform to place the parts is a no go. 
    //rami
    3dcad said:
    I was hoping to use derived features for bring in the dowel (for example) - multiple times - to avoid having 30 different parts that are all the same..

I though this could be used for all static standard parts which don't need moving mates. But using transform to place the parts is a no go. 
    Exabsolutely.

Derived Sketches, even more so. Destination plane might be at a compound angle to the origin plane; transform would be a nightmare.

Derive could be insanely great, if this were addressed.

And derived sketches# need to be available within a Studio as well as between them.

# arguable true also for bodies:  "Copy in place" might seem an acceptable workaround here, but once again the transform option is unappealing, in cases where we need to relocate the body to an absolute location, rather than relative to the previous location. 

In designs which are heavily non-orthogonal but with repetitive elements (cockpit displays for a flight simulator?) I think there is an associated need for simple creation of named reference axes, able to be picked directly from the feature list.