Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D-splines, sweep - or other?

Best Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It all depends on how you want to be able to control/modify the design. I did something vaguely similar recently. Each path was actually just an intersection of a plane with the surface. Those planes where located by patterning 3D points parametrically along face curves. Plane intersections won't work for this design, but some combination of some face curves and 3D Points on your surface, and then @Evan_Reese 's Freeform Spline or even the built in 3D Fit Spline through those points for the sweep path might be good.

I'm assuming that one curve and then one sweep is enough to get this started, and then it's a matter of radial patterning and cutting into 1/4 and mirroring.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Here's a slapdash demo of how I might approach it. There are surely ways to make it more parametric and robust.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    I had to take a stab too. I'm sure there are things that I could do more efficiently, but this was a fun challenge. I ended up just using a helix to drive some ruled surfaces to create the groove.

Answers

Answer ✓
    It all depends on how you want to be able to control/modify the design. I did something vaguely similar recently. Each path was actually just an intersection of a plane with the surface. Those planes where located by patterning 3D points parametrically along face curves. Plane intersections won't work for this design, but some combination of some face curves and 3D Points on your surface, and then @Evan_Reese 's Freeform Spline or even the built in 3D Fit Spline through those points for the sweep path might be good.

I'm assuming that one curve and then one sweep is enough to get this started, and then it's a matter of radial patterning and cutting into 1/4 and mirroring.
    Answer ✓
    Here's a slapdash demo of how I might approach it. There are surely ways to make it more parametric and robust.

edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    I had to take a stab too. I'm sure there are things that I could do more efficiently, but this was a fun challenge. I ended up just using a helix to drive some ruled surfaces to create the groove.

daaaaang! looks nice!
  • henning_schmidthenning_schmidt Member Posts: 4
    Worked perfectly - and I just got a bit smarter ... Thx guys!