Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 12th, 2022

Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
edited January 2023 in New in Onshape
The final Onshape release of 2022 includes a holiday bundle full of CAD improvements including color mapping curvature analysis, computed properties in assemblies, and more!

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

COLOR MAP CURVATURE ANALYSIS

In addition to zebra stripes, you can now analyze surfaces using color mapping. Analysis options include Gaussian and mean curvatures, as well as maximum and minimum radii of your surfaces.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/46ei3qm6dr?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

AGGREGATED ASSEMBLY PROPERTIES

You can now utilize aggregated Assembly properties when working with Assemblies to get information like the total mass of your Assembly into your bill of materials.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/y81s2f92gh?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

FRAME END CAPS

End caps can be added to frames that you've created, allowing you to match a frame profile or its internal profile or create your own rectangular or circular cap with their own editable parameters.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/c3i4k9572r?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

PARTIAL FLANGE MANIPULATORS

Partial flanges are now able to be defined using sliding manipulators.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fydlfoos3s?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

BRIDGING CURVE IMPROVEMENTS

The Bridging curve feature can now start in the middle of an edge and match curvature to a face. Controls have been added to edit the position along the selected edge and the tangency angle of the curve in reference to a face.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ox98bkztkf?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DRAWING FORMAT PAINTER UPDATE

The drawing Format painter has been updated to give you more control over pasting of style, tolerance and precision, and/or content for dimensions and annotations, to improve drawing workflows.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/hkn1va27p3?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

NEW COMMENT INDICATOR

For increased accessibility and visibility into when a new comment is added to your workspace, a new comment icon will appear on top of the Comments tab, regardless if you are tagged in it or not.

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

RESET GROUND BUTTON

The Environments and ground menu now includes a button to reset the ground to the lowest point on the model. See this in action in the video below.

NEW CLIPPING AND TONE MAPPING SETTING LOCATION

Settings for clipping and Tone mapping are now located under the View tools dropdown menu under the View cube.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wdgc4b4bqx?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

IOS IMPROVEMENTS

AR VIEW SHADOWS

AR view now includes dynamic shadows for your model that update as the workspace changes.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/plaj37ia98?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ANDROID IMPROVEMENTS

LINK SHARING

The Onshape Android application now allows you to toggle link sharing permissions.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

TECHNICAL BRIEFINGS

Onshape Arena Connector Guide- A new technical briefing for Enterprise administrators who are connecting Onshape to Arena.

Updates to Navigating Onshape for New Users to include additional information about navigating an Onshape document as a view-only user.

VIDEO UPDATES

• Frames Fundamentals course

• Updates to the custom profiles video to include frame alignment points.

• Onshape Surface Modeling course

• Update to the complex surface lofting video to include ruled surface and new loft feature options.

• Updates to the Fill surface video to include the new adjacent faces option.

• PCB Studio Fundamentals course

• Update to the Navigating PCB Studio layout video to include updating the Bill of Materials reference designator.

• Introduction to Parametric Feature-Based CAD course

• Updates to the Onshape Documents video to reflect newer interface and brand.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments in the Forum post. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Tagged:

Comments

• xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Happy holidays Onshape team!! Thank you for all your hard work. Love to see Assembly properties and end caps!
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Bridging curve, curvature visualization and aggregated assembly properties are fantastic... plus all the rest. This is one of the better updates.

I just wish that Bridging curve had a G3 option, but @Evan_Reese and I are working on something which will help a lot. We may need to rework things a bit to build on some of the new stuff in here.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thank you.  The sheet metal partial flange will come in handy. Enjoy your Christmas Holidays, everyone. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @S1mon: what would you do with a G3 bridging curve, given that for now our loft, sweep, fill, etc. all produce cubic NURBS surfaces, which are not G3 even internally (and of course not at boundaries)?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great update!!
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @ilya_baran

In my experience, for surfaces to be G^N it helps a lot if the curves are G^(N+1). While it's technically not necessary, it helps a lot. And even though the surfaces are using cubic NURBS, it seems like they often have so many points internally that they start to approximate a higher degree.

It's also often the case that when I want two surfaces to be G^2 to each other, I will only set the loft, sweep, or fill to to be tangent to each other, because choosing curvature causes the surfaces to be more tortured than I would like. If the underlying curves are G^3, then setting the surfaces tangent will often get the surfaces to look G^2 if not G^3.

What's the chance of getting Bézier surfaces (of whatever degree), or NURBS which are degree 5 (or greater) in the future? Are cubic NURBS surfaces a limit of Parasolid or Onshape?
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    edited December 2022
    Wow, so many great improvements! It's like an early Christmas present.
    I can't wait to tell my father about the new feature allowing him to create frame end caps.

Thank you, Onshape team, for a fantastic year full of such impressive improvements. Happy holidays!

• Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Great new improvements! Thank you!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    This is why I really don't mind waiting a little longer for a feature.
    Been asking for calculated mass in assemblies for a while.
    When they finally release it, it can do Sooo much more.

Thank you Onshape team. Happy Hollidays
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO

Thanks Onshape team for all the hard work and merry Christmas!🎄

The real question here is... WHAT IS THAT!? 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe
    That's Render Challenge #3  :D
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    Join Richard Doyle the User Group Guy and Mike LaFleche, The Professor, live on the air for our first reactions to the latest Onshape update, which includes a ton of user requests and awesome new workflows to design your products quickly and accurately.

10:15am 
    Eastern Standard Time (Boston, MA, USA)
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited December 2022

Thanks Onshape team for all the hard work and merry Christmas!🎄

The real question here is... WHAT IS THAT!? 

Its a loupedeck. This thing is a massiv tool if you edit videos or photos. I´m so in love with this

Its like an spacemouse enterprise for video editing
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
    edited December 2022

@Axel_Kollmenter ty! That is so legit: Loupedeck CT

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    hold on....AR....wha? Shiny!  For android too? pleeeeease?

I'll also check out the class thing!
  • Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 88 PRO
    I love early Christmas presents!

The simple examples at the end of these videos are very helpful. Great for learning how to actually use the new functionality.

@mlaflecheCAD awesome.

• STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    Encore une fois des mises à jour utiles et bien implémentées! Bravo Onshape! 
  • SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    Is it just me or did all the mate connectors get bigger?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Funny, They look smaller to me.. 
  • john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Great update Team, aggregate assembly properties are strong.

The changelog also states: 
    1. Enterprise: Add where-used data into Analytics
    I've just jumped into our analytics and can't see where or how this is applied. Any clues?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Great update Team, aggregate assembly properties are strong.

The changelog also states: 
    1. Enterprise: Add where-used data into Analytics
    I've just jumped into our analytics and can't see where or how this is applied. Any clues?
    Hi john_allen,

Currently this data is being used to help with other link and permission information.  It's debatable whether this should have been included in the changelog or not, but I like  to err on the side of more transparency.  We are hoping to leverage this information in Analytics more in the future.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • christian_fong360christian_fong360 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Thank you for this update. I love using Onshape and its featres. Keep up the good work.
  • JamesonBinanitanJamesonBinanitan Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Great updates
    I love the Drawing Format used for the Throttle Body.
    It looks clean and extremely easy to understand the drawing.
  • christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Yet another feature I wanted that I didn't even have to ask for! Boss finally got a pro license for me. Keep it up people!
  • parviz_aghayarov072parviz_aghayarov072 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    1.157  new addition vey useful .Thanks onshape team