Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

CAM coming to Onshape.

Comments

• Options
    christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    @joe_dunne I'd like to throw my name in the hat for testing and feedback. My email chris@mentesjoinery.com.au. I use a proffesional account at work and my personal one on these forums. I've been using Other CAM software (Microvellum + Woodwhop (Homag)) for 6 years and I'm ready for something new.
  • Options
    david_7david_7 Member, csevp Posts: 18 PRO
    I am a Onshape to Fusion360 for CAM user and would be interested in testing this.
  • Options
    Tyler_NeufeldTyler_Neufeld Member, csevp Posts: 5 PRO
    edited January 2023
    This is highly relevant to my interests!
    Will 2x also include turning?
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    edited January 2023
    thanks for the interest.  I am building a list of interested parties.    As to what will and won't be part of initial release.  I am going to hold back from committing any particular capability.

The general goal is to take the existing application Cloud Milling. Make it available to our customers, as soon as possible. First we must address some mandatory projects. There are many things we as Onshape must address in order to turn this into Onshape developed and deployed application. 

We are working as fast as possible. But I do ask for patience.  We plan to leave the Application "as is" as much as possible so as to get it into your hands. At the same time, there are many projects that take time.   

"will it do this?". or "does it have this capability?"...   CAM Studio  is being developed as a production level CAM solution, fully integrated in the Onshape data model and infrastructure. It will honor the Onshape way of doing things.  It is already starting as 2-5 axis milling. That is the starting place. Many of you likely saw demos of it previously.  Robust tool strategies, simulation, tool libraries, post processing. etc... all the basics that you would expect. We expect this product to be used by a range of users from simple prototyping to high end machining. So if there is a capability that is required to meet these requirements.  Its very likely to be targeted.  

This will not be a static product. It will evolve and rapidly be developed.  The answer to most questions, it will likely be "when", not "if". That is if you are asking about capabilities that are common professional CNC needs.

Sincerely,
    Joe

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 94 PRO
    @joe_dunne
    I would love to test this when/if needed.
  • Options
    Very happy to know that it's coming then.
    I was hoping/dreaming you guys would somehow integrate HSMworks. But considering Autodesk bought them lock-stock-and-barrel and then made a module for Solidworks, it didn't seem very likely that HSM (originally open source) would become available to Onshape (one of Autodesk's competitors)...
  • Options
    • 3+2 axis mill+indexer; 2axis lathe Haas and Tormach control
    • High mix, low volume prototyping (5-10 different PNs per month, maybe 20pcs total per month) out of strictly aluminum, stainless, delrin and steel
    • I do the CAM as a combination technician/machinist, other engineers want to learn CAM who have no gcode experience
    • Fusion-360 is the cheapest viable solution so that's what we're using
    • We want to run a straight metric shop (and only do imperial things if we unavoidably must)
    • A lot of the geometry we do is complicated internally and machine physical simulation to check for collisions between spindle assembly and rotary table would be a big nice to have (so that we don't have to shell out 16k/yr to vericut...)

• Options
    NewFatMikeNewFatMike Member Posts: 8
    I'd love to sign up for this as well - I've been around the block with HSMworks, CAMWorks, DELMIA NC, Vectric, lord knows what else I've run a job or two off of.

• What types of CNC machines do you use?
    • Tormach mills primarily, Tormach lathes, ShopBot, and a few desktop GRBL machines. Lots of lasers.
    • What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 
    • 3 axis and 2.5 axis, occasional 4th axis
    • Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
    • Prototype and one-off work
    • Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
    • I do
    • Do you use an existing CAM solution?
    • CAMWorks or DELMIA NC, occasional HSMworks via Fusion 360.
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 55 PRO
    Chris Dziuba - Mentes Joinery, Victoria, Australia

CNC machine:           Homag Weeke Vantech 612 (uses "Woodwop" .mpr file post processed files)
    Machine type/use:     It's a 2.5/3 Axis spoilboard Router. Used to cut, pocket, deck and drill timber and wood like stock.
    Volume of work:         Machine runs 8 hours a day most of the time preparing commercial joinery for assembly.
    Users of CAM:           "Setout" team prepare NC data to be run on machine operated by dedicated floor staff.
    Existing CAM:            Current software package is Microvellum. It is an extremely unsatisfactory software.

To consider an alternative CAM we require at minimum:
    • 3D model automatic feature recognition and tool path generation.
    • Nesting:
      -With Grain Matching
      -Manual adjustment
      -Small part handling (Tabs, onion skin or part joining)
      -"True Shape" nesting (AKA. iregular shape nesting)
      -There is about 30 other points I can add here but these 4 are the minimum.
    At some point I ventured to develope an integrated nesting extension for onshape, but being just one guy with no license, no history in web dev and only basic programming skills all I have is a half baked UI design. I have come up with a list of solutions to standard issues I see in CAM software. It's  quite involved and not worth posting here. But if you or anyone on the team feels it coulf be worth your time to discus please get in touch.
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭

What types of CNC machines do you use?

Trumpf Laser, Messer Plasma, Flow Water Jet, Haas VF6 Vertical Mill, Mazak Lathe

What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 

Trumpf Laser: 2D laser cutting

Messer Plasma: 2D plasma cutting

Flow Water Jet: 2D water jet cutting

Haas VF6 Vertical Mill: 3 and 4-axis milling

Mazak Nexus 250: 2-axis turning

Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping?

All CNC machines run 8-12 hours daily and can range from prototypes to long part runs.

Who typically uses CAM in your company?

CAM is done by machine operators

Do you use an existing CAM solution?

Trumpf Laser: SigmaNest

Messer Plasma: Omniwin

Flow WaterJet: FlowPath,

Haas VF6 Vertical Mill: Fusion 360

Mazak Nexus 250: Fusion 360

Other CAM requirements:

Bi-directional communication with CAD model.

2D nesting

Geometry Recognition

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    Current main machine is a Brother S700X1 with fanuc type control and 4th. 

We just bought a new shop. Future machines will most likely be a horizontal or 5 axis with pallets. Our goal is to reduce labor/setup time/improve quality via less setups/handling.

Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
    We currently do mainly prototypes. 

24/7 is the future goal with a low volume high mix. Our parts typically have tight tolerances.

HSMWorks, some manual

I have found HSMWorks to be pretty easy to train someone to get up and running on 2.5d. The surfacing is not as intuitive and can be frustrating, but it eventually gets the job done. There are way to many clicks!

Mastercam has always been a non starter. I just don't have to time and money to invest. 

Why CAM in OS is important?
    In order to reduce labor and setup time, we need to have predefined setups. This is where the intergrated CAM/CAD really comes in handy.

• Options
    Matthew_CurranMatthew_Curran Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO

CR Onsrud Fixed Gantry Machines with FANUC Controls

3-5 axis Machining

Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?

Prototyping and Production Machines Single Shift

Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...

4 Dedicated Machinist/Programmer

MasterCAM Mill 3D with Multiaxis and Probing

Other CAM requirements 

Custom Posts

• Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    • What types of CNC machines do you use?  Small CNC mill + my own designed and made CNC Lathe. Both running Mach3.

• What kinds of machining do you do? 2.5 axis? Mill Turn? etc..... 2.5 milling with occasional 4th Axis. 2 Axis CNC Lathe turning.

• Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7? Exclusively home workshop machining of my own design parts in my retirement.

• Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...  I am the CAD designer, G Code Generator, machinist and general bottle washer.

• Do you use an existing CAM solution?  HSMworks in Fusion360 and Solidworks 2015 SP5.  I use SW 2015 SP5 to generate G Code for Single Stroke Font Engraving, because Onshape doesn't support Single Stroke Fonts.  I also use F Engrave to generate fancy 2.5 milling fonts.
  • Options
    hendrik_kueckhendrik_kueck Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Hi, I am most likely not at all the target audience but I'll chime in nevertheless. 
    I am a hobbyist and have been experimenting with CAM at my local FabLab (a Makerspace style shared workshop). 

Shopbot PRSAlpha, X-Carve, Carvey

3 axis (or 2.5 axis? Not sure about the difference), mostly wood (hardwoods and plywood), but also aluminium 

One off hobby projects.

Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
    It is hobbyists members of the FabLab (and the owner) using the CNC machines. 
    I have used Fusion360 for CAM (quite powerful, but I hate it). I have also used Easel, Vectric VCarve Pro, as well as Kiri:Moto (in Onshape).

I am really looking forward to a CAM solution integrated into Onshape, and really hope that at least some of the functionality will be available to hobbyist users like me. 
  • Options
    @joe_dunne
      Nesting type for sheets goods
      Cabinet making- 2.5 axis, drilling via drilling bank
    • Volume of work, is this for occasional prototyping? Or do you have machines running 24/7?
      Daily, about 5-10 hours per day. Constant production. 
    • Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? etc...
      Me and another operator.
      Yes, Vcarve- Painful transition from 3D to 2D.
  • Options
    Thomas_9ielsenThomas_9ielsen Member, csevp Posts: 2 PRO
    5 Axis DMG Mori with Siemens 840d Celos control.

High mix 3-5 axis simultaneous machining.

Mostly prototyping several times a week, and some small production runs.

I do as the dedicated programmer and machinist. Occasional 2.5 programming by other colleagues.

Currently using Esprit TNG
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Very excited about this! Currently designing volume furniture (mostly MFC/MDF). Calculating sheet material requirements should be much quicker /more accurate with nesting capabilities. Please don't forget grain direction!
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    For the woodworkers, laser cut, waterjet out there.  Just to set proper expectations.  The initial product is 3D milling oriented.  2 axis - 5 axis. This is where the product is already is at.  The immediate goal is to shore up the existing app and get it in your hands. It serves as a starting point

I have been cutting lots of sheets already with the product. I use the Auto Layout Custom Feature to get everything flat, and then manually adjust for more optimal placement. It gets the job done.  Automatic nesting will come.  Optimizing the workflow for flat goods is part of the plan.

Just want to make sure everyone knows what to expect. 
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 666 PRO
    Taig desktop hobby machine.

2.5D milling in aluminum.

Occasional prototype work, or rework. 1 part per month. We send most of the CNC work out.

Me. I do engineering plus any minor CNC.

Fusion360.

• Options
    @joe_dunne fantastic! I noticed after looking at Auto Layout they utilized a "binary bin packing" algorithm from github to generate their nesting results: https://github.com/jakesgordon/bin-packing/blob/master/js/packer.js

Perhaps a smallish stepping stone in the interim would be to try and utilize the the SVG nest github source to make a "genetic global optimization" algorithm using the following open source project: https://github.com/Jack000/SVGnest

Meran and Arul (@marena_richardson , @lemon1324) what would it take to have you or anyone engage in this sort of project? In all fairness the source code for the  algorithm is literally 20 times larger so I'm not sure how feasible this is.

• Options
    john_ferguson402john_ferguson402 Member Posts: 11
    I've been using Pro/E since 1988-89 including the milling package. Now have a subscription to Creo with the milling package. But I use OnShape for almost everything mostly prototyping in 3Dprints.  When i get to metal, I have to recreate - sometimes import- the model to produce the g-code - output to Sherline 2000 mill with LinuxCNC controller.  

My problem which is probably unusual is that although I work with OnShape almost daily, cutting metal may only happen a dozen times a year, and I tend to forget detailed use of Creo between sessions. AND PTC keeps increasing feature set to the point where processes change or are newly constrained in some way I'm not used to.  It's quit being fun.

I would very much like to switch to an OnShape GUI/interface for all of my work.  It would be good if something like an editable version of G-Post was included.  
  • Options
    Hi,
    It doesn't make much sense to train our students in CAD with OnShape and have to change to Fusion 360 or SolidWorks when we need to train in PCB Design or Simulation or CAM. This could lead to replanting the OnShape option as a work tool at our University.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    @fernando_jorge_fraile_fernández , CAM is coming and PCB studio is already a part of onshape
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 59 PRO

CNC machines:

Beam Saw : HOMAG  -  SAWTEQ B-300 profiLINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hG-rwFtJA

Nesting :  HOMAG - VANTAGE 100 - 4 axis. (uses "AlphaCAM" .mprx file post processed files)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWKJULvyETU

Pod & Rail ( Used to drill holes in the edges of boards)  : HOMAG - VENTURE 114L - 4 axis (uses "Woodwop" .mpr file post processed files)

Types of Machining.

Saw cuts /  Nesting / Pod & Rail (edge drilling). Much cutting of rectangles & drilling holes. Profile paths. 

Materials are mostly Flat sheets of wood based products. MDF, MFC. Some Solidwood. Some solid surface (Corian & HI-MACS). 

Volume of work:

Machines run 8hrs/day. Occasional 24hr shifts. Type of work is roughly 50% bespoke & 50% volume furniture.

Most of the Volume furniture will be set up in a Magi-cut library as standard parts. AlphaCAM is good for bespoke projects.Does feature recognition from imported 3D files to generate tool paths and outputs .mpr or .mprx post processed files.

Who typically uses CAM in your company? Do you have a dedicated machinist? Etc..

CNC department. 3 technicians currently. 

Existing CAM solutions:

SWOOD (Solidworks Bolt-on) https://swood.eficad.com/whats-new-in-swood-2022/

Magi-cut (imports: 2D dxf/dwg files ) https://www.magi-cut.co.uk/

Woodwop from HOMAG  (imports: 2D dxf/dwg files) https://www.homag.com/en/product-detail/cnc-programming-software-woodwop

AlphaCAM (imports: 3d step files) https://www.alphacam.com/

• Options
    kenn_sebesta167kenn_sebesta167 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    joe_dunne said:

What are the specific needs you and or your company has for CAM with Onshape?  Specifically:
    Any other details would likely be useful to us.

Be still my beating heart! After being super frustrated with GibbsCAM, I have been on the lookout for something which gives as easy results as a 3D printer slicer. 
    • We have a 1500 m^2 university machine shop with a half-dozen Sharp and Haas CNCs. We also have a CNC grinder, CNC lathe, CNC EDM, laser cutters, and waterjet.
    • We use CAM for 2.5-axis milling, turning, grinding, laser cutting, wire cutting, and waterjet cutting.
    • We use the shop for research prototyping, as well as student educational projects. The machines run extensively toward the end of the semester, but not so much during the class breaks.
    • We have several dedicated staff members who use CAM. Our students also use CAM for any projects they'd like to do.
    • We use GibbsCAM. 
    Additional info:
    • We have an Enterprise License for OnShape
    • I teach OnShape in my classes
    • I want CAM which is as easy to teach as a 3D printer slicer
    • I want CAM which has some "hey stoopid" safeguards. Breaking bits because of crashing heads is a deterministic problem, and therefore is completely predictable. Because it's predictable, the CAM should predict it. And when it's not predictable, e.g. for clamps which might be shifted every new operation, the CAM should at least be able to auto-generate a toolpath which I can use *before* starting to mill, to show where the mill extents will be. We can do this sanity check with laser cutters, and it would be very helpful to have the same with CAM.
    • I want CAM which can run on my computer, so I'm 1) not required to be at the university just to do the CAM and 2) I can run it on more powerful, more stable hardware than the university-provided computers.
    • The CAM package should accept our post-processing files.
    Please sign me up for the beta!
  • Options
    jeff_brown304jeff_brown304 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    This is incredibly exciting news!  I only wish I’d seen it sooner.

A little while ago I got so fed up with my CAM workflow with other software that I decided to implement some custom features to generate tool paths in a Part Studio.  It’s coming along pretty well and I rather like the model that’s emerging along the way though I guess my project will have sharply limited longevity once these new OnShape features launch.  Alas.

I will say that I quite like having my tools and CAM operations defined in the timeline.  I can parameterize them in lots of ways and share tools between documents.  I also imagined there could be a workflow for applying modifications and edits to tool paths and for incrementally generating additional geometry like work holding tabs.  I think an incremental approach to tool path construction could be more usable and flexible than the giant do-everything-with-a-hundred-parameters UI seen in other software.

Anyhow, I’m excited about new CAM support and I hope it turns out awesome.
  • Options
    @joe_dunne
    Hi,
    • What about post processors? Will Onshape offer custom posts writing for machine not already available?
    • Will the new CAM have the ability to identify multiple similar 3D geometries so same toolpaths strategies can be applied?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    Chris_PetersenChris_Petersen Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I'm a hobbyist, so probably not your target market, but I figure it doesn't hurt to add some additional data because I know of a lot of small companies using similar hardware to mine. 

Shapeoko3

2.5d, 3d (e.g. 3d carve, under cuts with a slot-cutting bit), manual multi-axis by flipping parts over (rest machining) 

occasional prototyping, hobby projects

No company, just me.

Fusion360 for 3d, Carbide Create when I just want something fast (often via DXF files exported from Onshape sketches)

P.S. I can't justify Onshape's price just for a few private documents (most of my stuff goes up on Printables/Thingiverse, anyway), so I just use the free tier. However, good CAM might be worth an occasional one-off purchase ala CloudMilling's original product (or better yet, a hobbyist license to compete with Fusion360's lower price tier). 
  • Options
    edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU