Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - April 12th, 2023

Comments

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    I like the ability to hide sketches and the easy switching to tangent arcs. The thin extrude and helix options gave me an idea, why not add some standard profiles to the sweep tool? Or perhaps even add an option to add your own sketch profiles like in the frame tool?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a2579ea69458709b3a099ede/w/196e9edd929c241311ef4d0e/e/479455d4cf0914d9d83749ff
  • Options
    david_littlefair373david_littlefair373 Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Thin Extrude is a VERY welcome feature, & one that has taken far too long to be implemented.
  • Options
    jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 78 PRO
    whoa this is a big one! very happy with all these requested features being implemented and particularly Face Blend looks very powerful.
    also super sweep seems sweet! something to play around with!
    Thank you OS team!
  • Options
    philippe_marin788philippe_marin788 Member Posts: 5 EDU
    edited April 2023
    Nice job:)

Where is the Super Sweep FS? I just tried searching for it and came up empty. That twisting option shown towards the end of the video will help with a ribbon cable wiring representation I was trying to model a few weeks ago. Thanks.
    A lot of amazing improvements in this release. Thanks to developers.
    But it is always a mess for me to find a FeatureScript. They are mixed in numerous public FS and I don't find the good way to sort the good ones. In fact they are even mixed with a lot of copies included in various other Documents, and I don't find the original ones with potential pdf explanations.
    For example "Approximate Spline" was not found, or another script;
    "Super Sweep" not found;
    "Parametric Curve" found but without the "Approximate" option.
    --> Is there a way to find the most official FeatureScripts? Are the ones cited here all easy to find somewhere?
    Thanks for your help :smile:
  • Options
    Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Thanks Onshape team! Great job on the new updates.
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    Very excited to dig into face blend!
  • Options
    greg_geldardgreg_geldard Member Posts: 1 PRO
    I have no "Faceblend" dropdown? Anyone else not have it yet?
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    I have no "Faceblend" dropdown? Anyone else not have it yet?
    I have it on some documents but not others. When I open a document that doesn't have it yet, I get a notification popup in the top-right area that has this notice:

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    That just means they haven't been updated to the latest release of Onshape yet. Usually happens on documents that haven't been opened for a long time. So they are low priority to use resorces to push an update. 

You can ignore it if you need to work quick, otherwise upgrade now, then it will kick you out while it updates, usually 5minutes or so, then you can go back into the document 
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    This update has some really nice additions. Excellent OS team!
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    Thank you! Finally the "arc-hover" feature is implemented
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/_MrUzIw-6r8
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 60 PRO
    Great Job Onshape Team! All very nice quality-of-life improvements. Thin Extrude is especially welcome for me.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,401
    @S1mon - sorry for the late reply, I was on a well deserved vacation! Below is the Document I used for the demo. To echo what @ilya_baran said, this Document is provided as-is to demonstrate different use case examples of the approximateSpline function just so you can see how it could be used. These are not intended to be production quality custom features and will not be maintained.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5e7b129d3112105f68f9ed86
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    hayes_megeehayes_megee Member Posts: 2 EDU
    the face blend tool looks great! maybe next update we could get a create polyhedron where you can enter a scale and how many sides you want.
  • Options
    Konst_ShKonst_Sh Member Posts: 42 PRO
    Would be nice to have more documentation around approximateSpline(), currently it doesn't even says array of which values it returns (as I found it is an array of b-spline definitions, but it would be a struggle for newbies).
    Also what causes the requirement for approximation targets to have equal number of position points? Is for synchronizing parametrization of resulting bSpline definitions?
  • Options
    Konst_Sh said:

Also what causes the requirement for approximation targets to have equal number of position points? Is for synchronizing parametrization of resulting bSpline definitions?
    Yes
  • Options
    Hi all, 
    Speaking of Feature Scripts, I discovered a few days ago "Auto Layout" which is really useful for cutting sheet metal objects flat patterns (laser cutter or water jet).
    But the question is: would it be possible to export the layout contours in one consistent dxf file?
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @philippe_marin788 here's a clip from my laser cutting tutorial on YouTube that goes over exporting the results of the Auto Layout custom feature as a DXF: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxESq8NBFkwilQmuR1eIydWZEIIHUiwBWz

Please let me know if it opens correctly for you! I'm still pretty new to sharing clips from YouTube.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    chris_powell497chris_powell497 Member Posts: 5
    New update but still no advancement with SVGs...
  • Options
    Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    New update but still no advancement with SVGs...
    What sort of things are you looking for with SVG files? Import or export related? Something with colors, joined curves, ??
  • Options
    alnis said:
    @philippe_marin788 here's a clip from my laser cutting tutorial on YouTube that goes over exporting the results of the Auto Layout custom feature as a DXF: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxESq8NBFkwilQmuR1eIydWZEIIHUiwBWz

Please let me know if it opens correctly for you! I'm still pretty new to sharing clips from YouTube.
    Yes perfect it helps! 
    The other way I found was to create a new sketch, and project every edge of the relevant faces onto the sketch plane by the function "Use", then export the sketch content as DXF. The tricky thing is to select all edges properly. I feel the path you propose is far more reliable. Thanks. 

Nevertheless, extending the "Export as DXF/DWG" function so that it would allow selection of multiple faces would be a great improvement. I asked the developers, and they say they will decide if this is to be developed or not. Don't hesitate to also request so that they understand I'm not the only one waiting for this feature improvement ;-) 
  • Options
    Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
    When can access the new face blend tool?
  • Options
    When can access the new face blend tool?
    Please see the footnote of the main post:
    Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
    If the Version and history graph says "Automatic update" then you should be ready to go. 
  • Options
    pmc_pmcpmc_pmc Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Rolling ball!

A while ago I spent some time trying to construct such fillets between compound curved surfaces and gave up.