Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - June 12th, 2023

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited June 2023 in New in Onshape
It's June, time for our 8th(!) update of the year, and this one is big. It includes improvements to nearly all aspects of Onshape, so there should be something for everyone to get excited about! Let's get started.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

TRIM CURVE

You can now trim (or extend) a curve.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/fbciox0xc1

VARIABLES IN SKETCH PATTERN INSTANCE COUNTS

You can now assign a Variable to a Sketch pattern instance count.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ka0jegw4jd

STANDARD CONTENT METADATA

You can now edit more properties associated with Standard content. In the past, the only editable properties associated with Standard content were Part number and Description.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/v9bqu4nrnf

NEW SKETCH TEXT FONTS

20 New Sketch text fonts have been added with this update. Click "Show" below to see the list.
  1. Allerta

2. Balthazar

3. Baumans

4. Bebas Neue

5. Comic Neue

6. Courier Prime

7. Didact Gothic

8. M PLUS Rounded 1c

9. Michroma

10. Oswald

11. Poppins

12. PT Sans

13. Rajdhani

14. Roboto

15. Ropa Sans

16. Source Sans Pro

17. Sofia Sans

18. Orbitron

19. Inconsolata

20. Inter

HOLE FEATURE IMPROVEMENTS

New termination conditions have been added to Hole feature including "Up to next" and "Up to entity."

JOIN ADJACENT SURFACES

You will find a new import option to "Join adjacent surfaces." This new option allows you to simplify imported parts with many adjoining surfaces by merging them together during import. 

PERFORMANCE INDICATOR IMPROVEMENTS

New icons have been added to the Performance panel to alert you to poorly performing Part Studios.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DRAWING DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

Drawing dimensions with bent leaders now have an adjustable jog point at the bend.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/4huhha6dp7

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

NUMBERING SCHEMES

You can now define Numbering schemes and auto-generate Part numbers for Items and Standard content.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/rqtai2wi9r

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

NEW RENDER STUDIO APPEARANCES

Nearly 900 new Appearances were added to Render Studio with this update, including many popular and useful new metals, fabrics, paints, and plastics. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/g85hrfu28p

TESSELLATION QUALITY

When creating or updating a Render Studio scene, you can now use the per-part tessellation quality set in each part’s Appearance panel in its Part Studio, giving you a greater degree of tessellation quality control. This is the default setting. Prior to this update the Part Studio and Render Studio tessellation settings were independent of each other.

ARENA CONNECTION IMPROVEMENTS

SUPPORT FOR STANDARD CONTENT AND ITEMS

Standard content and Items can now be synced with Arena PLM.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Wow, that’s a “banger”! Well done team, lots of great stuff. 
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Wow. This is a nice set of improvements which covers many different areas. Looking forward to trying out the curve trim/extend tool and the sketch pattern variable usage as well as the standard content metadata. (and fonts, and rendering materials, and....)
  • Options
    adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 37 PRO
    There's a whole lot of stuff I'm going to like using in this one, but one in particular catches my eye. Does "Join adjacent surfaces" mean it can turn all the triangular facets of mesh objects into surfaces?  Even if it's all just flat surfaces with the coplanar ones merged together, that'd be a huge help when importing data from such files.
  • Options
    MisaelMisael Member Posts: 9 PRO
    love the improvements! looking forward to test the "join adjacent surfaces"
  • Options
    OSKMOSKM Member Posts: 16 PRO
    Variables in sketch patterns and sketch text font additions are great, will be using those two very regularly.

Thanks for another great set of updates.
  • Options
    jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 78 PRO
    very happy with the 'Trim/Extend' Curve feature!
    I see a great future ahead for this 'Help point' functionality.

That would also be great in e.g. "split" (to define which one part is the 'original' and which is 'new'.)
  • Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    Outstanding Update. Great work.
  • Options
    ben_partouchben_partouch Member Posts: 96 PRO
    That's an awesome update. Thank you guys!
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 55 PRO
    That Sketch Array was a big deal when I first started using onshape. Awesome to see variables implemented.
    And we're finally starting to see some fonts!!! Is this fore-shadowing??
  • Options
    e_g_ee_g_e Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Great update!
    The ability to add categories to standard content will be very useful!
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvemets

Hole feature including "Up to next" and "Up to entity" deserves a video

Nothing noteworthy in the code review this time ;-)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    Nice updates.

I like we can now edit all the properties of standard content.
    Except I had to promote one of my users to admin, since that was the only way they could edit now.
  • Options
    Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Great job guys!
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 812 PRO

VARIABLES IN SKETCH PATTERN INSTANCE COUNTS

I am soooo glad this is available now!  I have really wanted this since 2020!
  • Options
    Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
    Variables in sketch pattern instance count!  Thank you!
  • Options
    don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 139 PRO
    <sigh> Still no Arial font.  Great updates otherwise!
  • Options
    Nick_HolzemNick_Holzem Member Posts: 61 PRO
    Nice rebound!
  • Options
    partsovenpartsoven Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Great update! 
  • Options
    Jeremy_WinstonJeremy_Winston Member Posts: 2 PRO
    I have been waiting for this ability to modify Onshape drawing dimension leaders for 2+ years now. This is a fantastic change that all engineers at my company are celebrating. To whoever at Onshape prioritizes the updates: please focus on drawings above all else. engineers need greater customization/control of onshape drawings.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    edited June 2023
    On the plus side of this release, the sketch pattern variables are pretty cool. You can do things like delete instances or make elements of them construction and the sketch pattern will remember those changes regardless of the quantity variable. What it can't do is set a dimension to the last element and have that always be the last element regardless of the quantity. You can set up the math to divide an overall length so you can space things nicely.

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO

The Onshape team is on a roll!
    • Variables in Sketch Pattern !
    • New Sketch Text Fonts ! !
    • Numbering Schemes ! ! !
    • New Render Studio Materials ! ! ! !

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Mark_LugowskiMark_Lugowski Member Posts: 3
    Great update! Thank you. All improvements to drawings are much appreciated! :)
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/blEWuWGt5sI
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    michael_vanendemichael_vanende Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Nice updates.

Except I had to promote one of my users to admin, since that was the only way they could edit now.

Did they create an improvement request for this? I think it is better to have a permission that you grand to your users.
  • Options
    philip_7philip_7 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Nice updates.

@john_mcclary - not sure whether you are on Pro or Enterprise, but within Enterprise I have an explicit permissions setting under the Global Permissions menu for this which can be assigned to individuals or groups. I created a new group "Standard Content Managers" for this:

• Options
    Lynx_232Lynx_232 Member Posts: 2
    I see some small changes have been added to the hole tool. Those are nice features, but what about hole tolerances in the feature? Being able to add press or clearance dowel tolerances, so they come through in the detailing, is something that is really missing here. Hopefully you guys will be able to add some features like that in the future. 
  • Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Nice updates.

Did they create an improvement request for this? I think it is better to have a permission that you grand to your users.
    Yes, we're working on it.

Lynx_232 said:
    I see some small changes have been added to the hole tool. Those are nice features, but what about hole tolerances in the feature? Being able to add press or clearance dowel tolerances, so they come through in the detailing, is something that is really missing here. Hopefully you guys will be able to add some features like that in the future. 
    We don't have dowel pins in holes today. It is on the radar for sure.
    Support & QA
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    philip_7 said:
    Nice updates.

@john_mcclary - not sure whether you are on Pro or Enterprise, but within Enterprise I have an explicit permissions setting under the Global Permissions menu for this which can be assigned to individuals or groups. I created a new group "Standard Content Managers" for this:

Pro, but Onshape support has created a ticket. Thanks