Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - October 13th, 2023

Roy_MutalikRoy_Mutalik Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 34
edited November 2023 in New in Onshape
Welcome to the 14th release of Onshape this year! You've seen a lot of new features in just ten months, and there's no time to slow down now!

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

AUTOMATIC RESIZING OF SELECTION FIELDS

Feature dialogs now automatically and intelligently resize for selection fields that contain a long list of items.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/x92rlux534

HOLE FEATURE IMPROVEMENTS

The Hole feature now includes new start conditions to improve usability in creating stacked holes. Additionally, a Hole feature is now named in your Feature list based on the size, depth, and type of hole type you have selected. This name dynamically updates if the hole is edited.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/cv4idllxhj

SIMPLIFIED ICONS IN UPPER RIGHT CORNER

In the top right corner of Onshape, there are new simplified icons for easier navigation to frequently-used pages.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DATUM TARGETS

You may now define Datum targets in Onshape Drawings. 

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uh2mjlnqdl

CROP SECTION & BROKEN-OUT SECTION VIEWS

You may now crop both Section and Broken-out Section views in drawings using the standard Crop view functionality.

ATTACH CALLOUTS TO EXTENSION LINES

You may now attach a callout directly to a dimension extension line. When moving the dimension, the callout moves in tandem. Deleting the dimension also deletes the callout.

FORESHORTENED DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

The format and display of foreshortened dimensions has been changed to match commonly-used standards.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

SELF-GUIDED BOOTCAMP UPDATES

In response to valuable feedback from our user community, we have significantly enhanced our Self-Guided Bootcamp course. This updated course offers a more comprehensive learning experience by including the latest improvements and adding four new lessons: an introduction to Simultaneous Sheet Metal, Top-Down Design, Release Management, and Onshape's Certifications.

SURFACE MODELING - FACE BLEND

A lesson on Face Blend has been added to the Onshape Surface Modeling Course. It includes a walkthrough of the interface and tips for how to solve different problems with specific options.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Great Update. The Hole Feature Improvement alone will save me a lot of time. Thank you
  • Options
    david_mcmahondavid_mcmahon Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    My favorite, by far, is the ability to crop section & broken-out section views. Previously, there were some views that would not fit on a drawing sheet because they could not be cropped
  • Options
    ken_xuken_xu Member Posts: 6 PRO
    The hole feature is so great, no need to manually rename it anymore. Hopefully this will come to the beam feature as well.
  • Options
    urs_egger099urs_egger099 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Still a huge gap to catch up with the market leaders. It is super hard to convince my fellows when onshape lacks of basic CAD features. After all those years in the CAD Market I think it is time to put an extra effort and close the gap to get a mature CAD System. I am super convinced that the onshape datamanagement is the way we work in future. There is nothing comparable on the market.
  • Options
    STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 77 PRO
    Just WOW again!  :)
  • Options
    Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 55 PRO
    This is HUGE! Thank you onshape!!! What a way to start my day!
    Especially excited about:
    -Resizing selection window (Always had issues scrolling past red items and hunting for them)
    -Croping section views Usually have large units that only need a small section detail shown
  • Options
    Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    Awesome update, love the resizing and the changelog reveals a lot of little things fixed. It is great when you find out the issues you have recently logged have been fixed and implemented. Thank you Onshape!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    antonio_portalloantonio_portallo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for Resize. But it does not apply to the "Select others" from context menu, right? Sometimes it's very difficult to scroll a list with dozen of lines (in big projects), viewing only four...
  • Options
    george_gamowgeorge_gamow Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Is it planned to be able to import .stl and be able to see and use stl vertices on Android?
    Regards
  • Options
    SommerSommer Member, csevp Posts: 2 PRO
    Happy to see some focus on the drawing environment. Onshape is still a little "light" when it comes to 2D drawings...

Keep up the good work
  • Options
    bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    That holes feature and selection expansion improvments will come in handy!
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    edited October 2023
    Nice updates! I really like the improvements for Drawings.
    @S1mon Nice find in the changelog, very useful :)
  • Options
    Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 PRO
    Nice, resizing dialogs.
    Improved drawings - good, but don't stop improving :)
  • Options
    Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    AWESOME!!!
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Options
    Luis_HerranzLuis_Herranz Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3

Thanks for pointing this out. I have filed a bug for our developers to fix this issue.
  • Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    Great update.

One thing I dislike about the hole renaming is when the feature is suppressed, the title reverts to 'Hole.' Where prior, it would maintain the name or updated name for the feature.

If it is unsupressed, it changes back. My below example is a M8 a M10, and M12 threaded Hole.

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    Awesome Update!

I've been waiting for AUTOMATIC RESIZING OF SELECTION FIELDS and CROP SECTION & BROKEN-OUT SECTION VIEWS for a long time!

So glad for Hole Feature Renames Itself — Onshape! Our first Bingo Square!
    Too bad there isn't a way to refresh existing hole features to gain this benefit.

Great job as always Onshape team!
  • Options
    justin_hodgesjustin_hodges Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Great improvement to the hole feature!
  • Options
    fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    1. New security email for new device sign-in, OAuth application or updating primary email
    2. Improved hole feature naming
    3. Improved half/foreshortened dimensions (remove dimension line after placed dimension) in Drawings
    Thank you!

• Options
    john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Nice work Onshape, these are all solid core improvements, it is so obvious you are listening to users feedback over time, so thank you. I can also see a personally requested improvement resolved in the Changelog. Hole Feature and crop/broken-out section views will get used immediately.
  • Options
    Gavin_MunroGavin_Munro Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Loving the hole improvements. We use 1/4" & 1/2" NPT threaded holes a lot and it would be great to be able change the depth of those, without losing the template. Currently, if you try to adjust the hole depth, it changes away from tapped NPT. Any chance of adding Parker MP Autoclave holes as a standard hole option?