Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

San Diego Onshape Users Group

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 1,319 PRO
edited December 1 in General

Dec 4th 6pm pst
click for meeting notes
This Wednesday in California USA, we'll be broadcasting the users group meeting.
click for gotomeeting
At this meeting we'll be talking about project structures and how to use parts, part studios, assemblies, documents & folders to build something cool. Is the way you build a simple fixture the same way you'd build an automated production line? Where do you start? Is the structure important?

We'll be recording this group meeting and posting it at rustyshed.com. If you have any comments, please post'm here. We read this forum.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 1,945 PRO
    Nice Work Bill!

@paul_arden  maybe we should be having a one in Melbourne again and invite Bill as a special guest to share on GoTo Meeting (timezone may be an issue though). 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 1,319 PRO
    edited December 3
    Bruce-
    I like that idea, let's figure it out.
    I hope you can make it to our group meeting.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 1,945 PRO
    I will try but it's 1 am my time so I might be asleep. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    yeah, I get it. We'll have to figure that one out.

I'll record it & post it. Post your comments here, I'll be checking in.

Thanks for attending, I'm no longer a webinar virgin and I'm feeling ok. There's things we need to do like have multiple computers in the room picking up sound. It's important not to have any computers in the room playing sound as it creates a feedback loop. We were monitoring the session for a while which was playing sound and caused the loop. We will work on the presentation and polish it up. Sorry for the loop.

We run our group backwards and the 1st hour is just bullshitting with others. It's funny because everyone shows up at 5pm when the bull starts. I turned the webinar on during this time to make sure it was working. In the beginning, I was working with Sean on his 1st assembly. That's what all the sliders were. Sean is a manufacturer who can accept a shared file from me and make a part. No drawings. He's special and coming up to speed quickly. We need more suppliers that can work this way.

Non-blocking, I'm a hacker, it's async code, callbacks.... . It's a major difference between Onshape & SW (or any other desktop app). It's the reason at the end, when the internet acted up, I just finished and let the system catch up. I like it, and pointed it out to all the SW people in the room. You don't have to wait for the command to complete before moving on to the next. Although, like John says, you can't finish before you start. I find a lot of people wait before proceeding to the next command which is indicative of older blocking systems. Just open the throttle a little bit.

I do use  the feature clock, especially on other peoples stuff that I have to work on. It's good to know which features are taxing the system. When I'm designing, I tend to know what is slow and I try to fix it. Bruce that's a good point, know your model and which features are expensive.

It'd be fun to have a group of people who share how they use onshape. I will attend your webinar.

Thanks for participating.