Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape running slow or crashing on loading

Onshape runs fine on my desktop, but on my early 2011 Macbook pro (8 gigs ram, i5, HD3000) using chrome my entire laptop freezes up on the load graphics part of loading a document, or if it does run it works very slowly. If the part is more than a basic assembly, the laptop will lock up when trying to modify anything.
This doesn't seem like it should be happening on a laptop of this level.

I'm not sure what's going on, if maybe there is some setting I need to change?

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @Jason_KozlowskiMaybe this will help... press SHIFT and refresh your browser at the same time (clears the cache).  It was just mentioned here and fixed it for someone else...

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1622/onshape-running-slow#latest

• Options
    Jason_KozlowskiJason_Kozlowski Member Posts: 2
    Didn't help at all. Is the laptop simply not powerful enough to run onshape?
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a browser problem. If you are using Safari, you might consider trying Chrome.

Do not load any extensions if using Chrome (if I had known this I would have saved myself a lot of frustration and crashes I was blaming on my laptop)
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Jason_Kozlowski What build of OSX are you running?  We have seen some issues with older MBP when they are running older OSX since the drivers for the graphics cards are out of date.  If you have further issues, you can submit a support ticket from the ? menu -> feedback and we can look closer.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Onshape runs fine on my desktop, but on my early 2011 Macbook pro (8 gigs ram, i5, HD3000) using chrome my entire laptop freezes up on the load graphics part of loading a document, or if it does run it works very slowly. If the part is more than a basic assembly, the laptop will lock up when trying to modify anything.
    This doesn't seem like it should be happening on a laptop of this level.

I'm not sure what's going on, if maybe there is some setting I need to change?
    I'm also getting extremely slow loading and crashing/freezing up. I make a sketch with honeycomb patterned circles (16x16 array), and it is just freaking out and shows me as having multiple logins at one time. Very weird, and bringing my work to a screeching halt. I'm using Chrome on HP Latitude E5530 which has worked fine up to this point. Are sketch patterns just too intensive for the background servers to crunch?
  • Options
    Mitch_PricerMitch_Pricer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 27 PRO
    @nick_lockard I have had the issue of Onshape showing that I am "collaborating" with myself as well. I would be willing to bet it is on our Internet providers' side of things (since it hasn't happened on a 4G connection, only Wifi), but a quick fix that works for me is to log out and log back in. :smiley: 
  • Options
    duncan_anderson635duncan_anderson635 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my Ubuntu PC using Flashpeak Slimjet, a Chrome clone that usually runs pretty fast and has never before suffered from any problems. Shift-refresh hasn't helped. 
    It's an old graphics card: GeForce 7900 GS/PCIe/SSE2 and CPU: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz × 2 but they are normally rock solid, if a bit slow. Perhaps they are incompatible?
  • Options
    donovan_combrinckdonovan_combrinck Member Posts: 1
    meh. thought onshape was better than sketchup. turns out i was wrong, purely due to the document loading time. sometimes an hour. NOBODY can afford to sit at a desk for an hour waiting for a document to load. .
  • Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    meh. thought onshape was better than sketchup. turns out i was wrong, purely due to the document loading time. sometimes an hour. NOBODY can afford to sit at a desk for an hour waiting for a document to load. .
    I agree that waiting an hour is way beyond unacceptable, but I really don't think that's the norm. At least I haven't seen such long times. I have experienced very annoying slowdowns though, sometimes it sits spinning for a really long time when a feature is changed.

I've used Sketchup also, and it is usable for what it is, but compared to Onshape it is just a toy when it comes to modelling of mechanical parts. Sketchup is better for architecture I guess, since you can model a house in an environment, but as I said, for modelling all kinds of parts, Onshape is in a different league.

• Options
    I was just working on something, and now Onshape has just decided to do the molasses-trick on one of my part studios. It just sits there loading. It all started when I was waiting for some simple fillets to preview, and eventually I got tired of waiting, so I did a browser refresh. That didn't help, and doing it again didn't either. When I try to load it now, I can see that there are three of me working on this document, but none of us are actually able to do anything...

These things are incredibly annoying, and since I can actually open some of my other documents, this must mean that something crashed with the document that I was working on. Or to be precise, one of tha part studios in the document I was working on.

How can these issues be tracked down?

Edit: While I wrote this, it suddenly came back to life, but I could actually reproduce that same fault by re-trying the same operation, so now it hangs again.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    øyvind_kaurstad Please submit this using the feedback tool.  We can help you get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    @PeteYodis Unfortunately it eventually fixed itself, and I could no longer reproduce the fault. At one point I even had three copies of the document which showed to have size "null" in the documents menu.

I've cleaned all this up now, and the offending document was also deleted. It wasn't an important document, fortunately. Just some testing and experimentation I was doing.

But I'll make sure to try submitting the next time I get into something similar.
  • Options
    martyn_davies960martyn_davies960 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    edited January 2016
    I was just working on something, and now Onshape has just decided to do the molasses-trick on one of my part studios. It just sits there loading. It all started when I was waiting for some simple fillets to preview, and eventually I got tired of waiting, so I did a browser refresh. That didn't help, and doing it again didn't either. When I try to load it now, I can see that there are three of me working on this document, but none of us are actually able to do anything...

These things are incredibly annoying, and since I can actually open some of my other documents, this must mean that something crashed with the document that I was working on. Or to be precise, one of tha part studios in the document I was working on.

Edit: While I wrote this, it suddenly came back to life, but I could actually reproduce that same fault by re-trying the same operation, so now it hangs again.
    I too have this problem problem code 03387a711d9a2da1bc6f0150
  • Options
    anna_glynnanna_glynn Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I have the problem that martyn_davies960 said:

I too have this problem problem code 03387a711d9a2da1bc6f0150

on a group project with my school mates. Unfortunately, the thing that isn't working is the main assembly, which we really need to pass our project. It was working on other computers, but not the one I have at home, which makes it difficult for us to work on the project all together. It won't come back to life, like stated above, despite multiple days, refreshing, clearing cache, and multiple separate log-ins and attempts.
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 198
    @anna_glynn,

With regards to " It was working on other computers, but not the one I have at home", is this still the case? If so, how is your computer different from the others - for example - OS, browser, CPU/GPU capabilities?

Please file an issue so we can investigate further.  Look for "File a bug" or "Feedback" under the ? dropdown.

• Options
    clay_dolesh513clay_dolesh513 Member Posts: 2
    I am having this problem too. I modeled external threads (sweep a thread form thru on a helix, I couldn't find where OnShape has an option for external threads otherwise). Now the part won't load so I can just delete the threads.

Drawing with vellum is faster than drawing with OnShape.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,900 PRO
    I've had a couple of occurrences today with Onshape freezing up for an hour. I submitted tickets and they identified one as a bug.
    The other may have just been a fluke.
    But I can tell you this is not the norm. Onshape in generally very stable. They just released a big update yesterday that may be part of the cause here. Usually, they have this fixed in a few days and everything is back to normal.
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @clay_dolesh513 if you ever run into a document that can't be opened/is stuck, you can restore it to a previous state from the document menu.

Also, I would generally recommend avoiding modeling threads due to their performance impact, but if you do need them there for 3D printing or some other purpose, I would recommend using a custom feature like External Thread or Internal Thread to save on manual steps.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Nic_JNic_J Member Posts: 14 EDU
    Yeah, it happens with me, clear your cache and restore drawings.