Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Suggestion for iPad and iPhone

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
http://www.fiftythree.com/pencil
Love this little guy. Would be nice to have it work with onshape

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Can you share some workflows with us?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Too Right, It would great to use a tablet to sketch project idea's straight into a onshape tab. Then show that behind the sketcher when sketching, maybe even use this with the sketcher.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    A pencil for the computer that has an eraser on the opposite end! Talk about going full circle... :wink: 
  • Options
    Give me a day to think this over Lou. There is some pondering required.
  • Options
    julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    One million upvotes to @BruceBartlett. Before I start work in CAD, I almost always sketch out a concept on paper: being able to integrate this more directly into my CAD workflow/keep data together would be huge.

Some thoughts/workflow proposals:
    • At the beginning of a design, being able to create sketches associated with part studio planes would be huge. The sketch tools can be bitmap, not vector (I think I've got the terminology right - more like Photoshop than OneNote or Illustrator?), and the only relationship to the "real" part you need to be able to control is scaling. For example, it would be nice to be able to use a limited set of OS sketch tools - the line, the arc, and the dimension tool for instance - to create reference lines, which you could then scale your hand sketch to match.
    • Further into the design, being able to create sketches that are associated with custom views (which I'm not sure how OS intends to deal with) would be more important. These sketches would be more like transparencies: they would over/underlay the view, and could be hidden if needed. Uses I see for this include: 1) taking notes during design reviews (sketches should be available for collaboration!), 2) sketching on top of existing designs when starting development of additions/new features, 3) quick concept communication, and so forth.
    Finally, I think this shouldn't just be kept for mobile devices - bring it to desktop OS as well, so that users of convertible laptops/systems with styluses can get in on the love too!
  • Options
    @Lou
    Here is how I see the workflow:
    1. Preferably a in app sketching tab but that is not core functionality for now but keep that in mind
    2. Sketch something up using Paper by 53 or use autodesks sketchbook app
    3. import the sketch and use it as a background for the part studio
    4. Now this is where it gets interesting I would like the pencil to work with OS so that I can place the tip on the screen and drag to create a line.
    5. I would like the eraser to work as an eraser or as the Trim function 
    6. I am not sure how to use the pressure sensitivity of the pencil but maybe a hard press enables view rotate?

That would be my core workflow

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2015
    I still have not got the ipad onshape app working yet (@LouGallo I'll have to follow that up), but I imagine the stylus would work with onshape sketcher as is (except for the rubber trim).

I've just order a Wacom intuos creative 2 stylus for my Ipad, I plan to try and use this with sketchup or similar apps. I hopefully this has more precision than the 53 pencil as it has a smaller tip. Will drop the sketch up drawings into onshape as pixel based picture. I also want to also sketch over screen shots to flesh out detail before launching into modelling.

I posted some pic's here of printed and sketched on drawings https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/292/basic-sketch-tools-required#latest
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977