Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copying Parts Between Part Studios

NateNate Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Community Support
Is there a way to copy a part from one part studio to another?

Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    You can copy an entire part studio by using the "Copy to clipboard" option on the context menu when right clicking on the tab.  From here, you can go to your document and hit the plus sign in the bottom left corner to add a new tab and choose "Paste tab".

Copying just a part from one part studio to the other isn't possible yet.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @jramsley do you think a copy replace tab would be a good idea? or should I just wait for referencing a parts across docs.  

Example: I have parts in doc 1 of which I have copied a tab to doc 2, I change the tab in doc 1 then copy the tab to doc 2 but I can not get it to replace the original tab with the updated tab. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    On a similar vein.. I have requested the ability to insert a single part studio into another one.  I have a design where I have imported parts from McMaster Carr.  I can use them in an assembly, but currently can't insert them into another part studio where I am laying out the design.  I would therefore have to model parts in that layout part studio that I could easily have brought it in.  I'm kinda stuck.  I can't efficiently create a layout using inserted McMaster Carr parts.  I would tackle it in the assembly mode, but there is not patterning in assemblies yet... Ticket #2198.  I also have interest for this with modeling a casting in one part studio, then inserting it into another part studio to do the machining.  This keep it nice and clean.  I woudl prefer to do this all within one compound document.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @BruceBartlett I would suggest waiting.  As most of us do, we FIND A WAY to get things done despite the limitations of today.  This is awesome but we want to make sure that what is being suggested is not going to augment what the future holds.  If a certain workflow has been forged out of a missing function, it can sometimes be difficult to back up and look at the bigger picture and plan accordingly.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks @LouGallo I realise referencing parts key to Onshape's success and expect it to be implemented in an elegant manner. I'll save my feedback for when we see this in Onshape, sooner rather than later, hopefully. Bruce
  • Options
    Mike HarrisMike Harris Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same issue, and it's HUGE for me.  I have found a workaround for it.  Here's a summary:
    1. import all of your part files
    2. create an assembly using the least amount of mates. this is a temporary assembly.
    3. right click on your assembly, and translate it to a parasolid.
    4. translate your parasolid assembly to a flattened part studio. 
    At this point you should have a part studio with all required parts to "Use" your geometry any way you need.  Hope this helps people as much as it helped me.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Just closing the loop on this thread...  Derived parts has been released this past week.  This now allows you to insert a part studio into another part studio.  Excellent addition.
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Ok this allows you to copy one part studio to another part studio within the same document. What do people do if you want to copy a part studio or assembly into a different document.
  • Options
    @peter_hall if you can live without a link you can RMB on a part studio (not available with assy's) tab to copy, then use the + bottom left on the alternative doc to paste. 

Also you can not do a full part studio as a derived feature only parts, sketches and planes. 
  • Options
    @brucebartlett  thanks for the quick response , that sounds easy and should let me start building and using a parts library.
  • Options
    @peter_hall Yes copy tab is a great start for a library, only problem is if you update your library you can not copy and replace the tab in the docs and retain links. I suggest trying to get your library tabs right before you do a copy or updating both the library and places it's used at the same time. I started a fastener library but haven't filled out all sizes yet, I planed to build all the parts in studio series and copy tabs to docs as needed. check it out https://cad.onshape.com/documents/516b1784884d4facbc4c0d74/w/8e947edb43904354bb16b3f2 
  • Options
    @brucebartlett  link just defaults back to my own documents page.

• Options
  • Options
    @brucebartlett  got it that time.  :)
  • Options
    Michel_StormsMichel_Storms Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    You can copy an entire part studio by using the "Copy to clipboard" option on the context menu when right clicking on the tab.  From here, you can go to your document and hit the plus sign in the bottom left corner to add a new tab and choose "Paste tab".

Copying just a part from one part studio to the other isn't possible yet.
    This is something that ***SHOULD*** be included at all costs though. I was planning to migrate from Fusion 360, but am now stuck because I can"t import a part I spent several hours modelling on in Fusion into my Onshape part studio... :(
  • Options
    @michel_storms "copy to clipboard" relates only to moving parts (part studio tabs) between different Onshape documents. If you want to get parts in from fussion you will have to use the import functions  . You will need to export from fusion with the appropriate file type, Onshape Import Types.

• Options
    @michel_storms "copy to clipboard" relates only to moving parts (part studio tabs) between different Onshape documents. If you want to get parts in from fussion you will have to use the import functions  . You will need to export from fusion with the appropriate file type, Onshape Import Types.

I know, but it imports the part in a new Part Studio, and there is seemingly no way to copy it to the Part Studio I am working in. I am designing a 3D-printer and have multiple parts that need to be edited together before added to the main Assembly...
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    @michel_storms:
    You could try using "Derive" to get a linked copy of your part from the 'new Part Studio' (in your post) to the one you're working in.

If you want to edit the derived part, you will have to do that to the master (in the 'new Part Studio')
  • Options
    Thanks, but that's still no solution, as I need to edit the part together with the others (some boolean operations etc...)
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    It is possible (reading your previous post) that you mean something different by "edit" than I meant.
    I use it in the limited and specific sense that Onshape use it.

If my hunch is correct, you may find you actually can
    "edit the (derived) part together with the others (some boolean operations etc...)"

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2015
    Mike Harris-

I'm also importing geometry into Onshape using your technique. I have found that having one huge part studio isn't ideal and have been exporting bits and pieces into manageable partstudios. I'm using derived methods to re-assemble these bits into a larger partstudio. Now that we can position partstudios inside other partstudios, this approach kinda works. Forget about assemblies.

Other than the derived bugs well documented here in the forum, it seems to be a promising structure for larger projects.

I wish I could hide an inserted partstudio inside another partstudio. To me it's all about making things go away and bringing them back. I'm interested in working on 1000 component partstudios and setting up a structure that allows this operation. You can't pick the top level when importing a derived partstudio. The display tries to update when picking each derived component which is way too painful and slow. There are a lot things that are wrong with this approach, but if you can endure, what you end up with is nice. Maybe you could call it an engineering layout. Like Pete said, I'll I want to do is create a layout. I'm pushing it further than importing McMaster Carr parts, I'm building the entire structure this way. So far it's not bad.

Back to your huge partstudio. I Wish there was a way to divide a huge partstudio into manageable chunks. It would be nice to bring in a huge project into one large partstudio and break it up into manageable chunks inside OS. Having to break it down inside the sending system seems wrong, some one say unjustifiable. I think you'll end up with a better OS data structure if you try and break up your export and manage the import into OS. 

I've also submitted an ticket to remove the import option that doesn't flatten the assembly. When you uncheck this option, the components in the partstudios are stacked about the origin and renders the partstudio useless. This shouldn't be possible, ever. Why does it exist? 

• Options
    mark_jolleymark_jolley Member Posts: 1
    Why not just derive the part? Won't that accomplish the same thing?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @mark_jolley This is a very old discussion, it was actually started months before Derived Part was released (August 2015).  Derived Part and Assembly In-Context are both good workflows for problems like this now.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team