Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet Metal tools hogging rather a lot of the menu bar

SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
Any chance we could have an option to combine the sheet metal tools into one icon with a drop-down.

At present they hog rather a lot of menu bar (6 items) demoting other tools to unsighted drop-down menu locations.

For many users who don't use sheet metal, this is very inefficient.

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2017
    On a smaller screen or window, it changes to a drop down bar. In the future when more icons are available, I'd imagine you might be able to set it a drop down in your preferences if you are not using sheetmetal regularly. I wouldn't like to see too much customisation on icons and arrangements as consistency helps with training, etc.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I think OS did an awesome job of laying out the toolbar based on window size.

Now try that with solidworks:
    When you shrink it down it will even completely hide the minimize, maximize, close buttons.
    and on the other end it throws the menu off the boundry of the monitor... God I'm hating SW more and more every day :(

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Well it all depends what you need.

I need the new Projected and Bridged curve commands ALL the time, and they are hidden on a drop down menu under Helix.

I asked for an option, that's all, then you could tailor the experience to your personal requirements.

Perhaps just an option to choose to expand a high-use collapased menu when needed rather than having to use a dropdown...

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 695
    @SledDriver
    Please submit an improvement request, this would help us to prioritize this change. I meantime you can add Bridging curve to your  shortcut toolbar
  • Options
    Ah, I thought this forum was for improvement requests.

So where should I do this? It's not a bug report...
  • Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO

The feedback link in your document is where @lana is suggesting to submit a improvement request, I think... 

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    This is where I usually add improvement requests,
    then the community can vote for it, and OS uses that to prioritize their updates

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,388
    Please use @john_mcclary method for submitting improvement requests, using the improvement request category on the right --->
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    SledDriver said:

I think it's still good to be able to have a discussion here on the forum before adding an improvement request to throw idea's around or check there is not already another way to achieve the desired request.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.