Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Turning off different colors for new parts in studio

Whenever I create a new part in a studio, it is a different color. I personally can't stand having all the parts I create be different colors. Is there any way to disable that feature?

Comments

• Options
    brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Right clicking on the part in the Part Studio, either on the model or in the parts list,  will bring up menus where there is a facility to change its appearance. In the first case the menu item is "Edit appearance for Part <nn>..." or, if you have named the part, "Edit appearance for <part name>". To do this via the parts list the menu item you need reads "Edit appearance". I would say that the individual colouring of parts is, for me, a valuable tool in complex models and quickly highlights editing errors like when you make an extrude added rather than new, and so much more.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    yea that would be a decent option, personally I don't care, but my boss demands all parts be different colors. so this work flow is perfect for me.

but It would be nice to have the option for some people who want more photo-real models.

For now a work around would be to select all your parts in the end and edit the appearance at the same time
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
     It would kinda be nice to be able to pick, and/or set, a color before you make a part.

Would be great as I make my piping.  I color code pipe sizes.
  • Options
    bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Pre-selecting a color for a series of parts would be nice - avoid the "fruit loops" effect.
  • Options
    Yea for fruit loops :)

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I don't have problem with this when design in Onshape, but I wouldn't mind if there was checkbox option to use same color for all new parts in current workspace. It's pretty easy to box select and set color though. I think it's also good reminder to set the material.

But when I import say roller conveyor, whoa, it's like a rainbow - and difficult to select hundreds of parts to set the color.

I have put in request for being able to replace color, it would be handy if you wan't to create somewhat realistic colors and need to adjust many parts again and again to get it right.
    //rami
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    One thing that might be nice is a match geometry colour change.  So in @3dcad 's example you could click on one roller and say "make anything that matches this part orange".

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I just pick all the fruit loops and change their color back to cheerios.  

I like the different colors for new parts and I'm not sure logically how to turn that on/off so it makes sense to a user or especially a new user. Should there be an option "maintain appearance on new creation"? 

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @billy2
    I think it should be setting per part studio so only thing I would vote is having on/off button on ps RMB menu or visible button somewhere on header or so..
    //rami
  • Options
    3dcad said:
    @billy2
    I think it should be setting per part studio so only thing I would vote is having on/off button on ps RMB menu or visible button somewhere on header or so..
    IMHO I think RMB toggle is the best place
    But I think it should be persistent throughout a document, or a user's account.

My reasoning is, colors are a personal preference. So if you want them or not, would most likely be the user's choice (Account preferred) or the Companies choice (Document preferred).

Chances are if you don't want auto-color on one part studio; you would not want them on any part studio (Document preferred)

Chances are if you don't like auto-color and your colleague does, (you all should come to an agreement but...) if that's the case, then you don't want to keep turning this feature on / off every time you get into the document because the user before you left it on. In that scenario, image how toxic that would be when you are both in the same part studio toggling it on/off constantly :) may be a fun way to F*** with people though  >:)

So in the end it would seem Account preferred would be the least intrusive for everyone.
    If you're company wants it on, then its a one time toggle when you work on the project. If it's bound to the account settings, then you can set it and forget it for as long as you need. Even when creating new documents or part studios.

It may become annoying to have to turn it on or off every time you make a new document / part studio.

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited April 2017
    Ok I like it, let's do it.

While they're at it, have them put a 'make transparent' in the RMB. I spend more time toggling transparent states by sliding that bar to 50% and back 100%. This is annoying to me. Then if you have multi parts selected and change the transparency, all the colors update to the same. The behaviour I want is just 2 steps away.

• Options
    On a positive note, have you guys used pattern by center?

Every pattern I use is centered. Where has this been my whole life? Who ever came up with this, give'm a raise.