Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - July 6th, 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    I don't understand why we need word variable in front of each variable, icon says it all. And if you need it, you can include it in var name.

For editing, I would still prefer external editor (simplified spreadsheet) where I can set multiple variables in one go (rebuild) and even more important I wan't to use any given dimension as variable without the need to create new var for each.
    Yes, and yes! Or have the Vars in the tree but at the same time offer an Table (3 cols => one for comment!). With the incredibly useful feature of csv import export :smile:

For naming: I like my measure distance:

• Options
    albjerrealbjerre Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    albjerre said:
    Yeah. Finally proper surface modelling. Now we only need 3d sketches.
    How would 3d sketches work? 
    SolidWorks has a good implementation of 3d sketches - Inventor as well. You can sketch in all three dimensions, which is needed when you need to make complex geometries or bend pipes and rods. This video shows some of the capabilities in SolidWorks: https://youtu.be/HO-yg6sC5t4
  • Options
    SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    I don't understand why we need word variable in front of each variable, icon says it all. 

Concur.

Also, perhaps (x) for a static variable, and f(x) for an expression, so it is obvious without examining the variable that it has an expression within.
  • Options
    SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    albjerre said:
    SolidWorks has a good implementation of 3d sketches - Inventor as well. You can sketch in all three dimensions
    I think this needs careful consideration.

It is still a bit clunky building 3D geometries in Onshape. Combining 2D sketches with tools like Projected curve is definitely a very useful tool, but it still leaves a host of other construction requirements for other scenarios.

However, Onshape developers have a knack of coming up with beautifully streamlined ways of doing things which surpass the historic methods, and I can't help thinking this might be one area where OS can show us how it should be done in 2017.

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    albjerre said:
    SolidWorks has a good implementation of 3d sketches - Inventor as well. You can sketch in all three dimensions
    I think this needs careful consideration.

It is still a bit clunky building 3D geometries in Onshape. Combining 2D sketches with tools like Projected curve is definitely a very useful tool, but it still leaves a host of other construction requirements for other scenarios.

However, Onshape developers have a knack of coming up with beautifully streamlined ways of doing things which surpass the historic methods, and I can't help thinking this might be one area where OS can show us how it should be done in 2017.

Agreed, I'm holding out for OnShape's crew to blow our minds.

Solidworks 3d sketches are nice. but what a royal pain in the @*#$ to draw on the correct "plane", involves a lot of camera movements, or constraints to draw even a simple cube. Although I don't practice too much with 3D sketches, I have had to use them enough times that It feels like a handy cap to not have them. Especially how OnShape's part studio's are set up. Drawing out a 3D skeleton without all the extra steps of planes and sketches would be a welcome addition. 
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hey @3dcad, look this isn't pinned any more...

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hey @3dcad, look this isn't pinned any more...

Owen S.
    I was thinking the same thought. The big question now is are we going to have to wait until Friday?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @brucebartlettperhaps we could start a book?
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    My recommended reading to wait for the new version:
    Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions
    It's a short book ;-)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
  • Options
    PeteYodis said:
    Yabber-dabber-doooooooooooo

Owen S
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Summer vacation, some time away from computer - and there it is: update day, like a big hug waiting for coming back to work B)
    //rami
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smart dimensions, partial section views and the other improvements are welcome (especially all the drawing improvements)... but once we have sheet metal, we are waiting for another "big requested" improvement...
    Maybe next time, we will see in 3 weeks
    As pleople use to say in Flatland: "Attend to your configuration" ;-)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @emagdalenaC2C
    shhh, let's not ruin the surprise.. I already have a bottle of sparkling beer and my best t-shirt ironed for next update day.. ;)
    //rami
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I have to settle with sparkling water whilst at work :(

• Options
    I have to settle with sparkling water whilst at work :(

Could you substitute gin and tonic without anybody noticing?
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    @cody_armstrong These new surfacing features are FANTASTIC!
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    That update was really nice. I've made some tests and in the end, I'm happy with the results:

The only complaint I have is that Onshape creates quite dense geometry.
    Nice job Onshape, nice job.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,389
    @michał_1 looks cool. What do you mean by dense geometry?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    This is not a big complaint, but I can imagine that loft could create lighter geometry or we could have other tools like curve network. From my perspective loft is solid modeling tool that happens to be used for surfacing. Here's a simple compare:

As I said, this is not a big complaint, and I've shown rendering as a compliment to Onshape.