Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal

joseph_terpendjoseph_terpend Member Posts: 17
2 Things I would like to be able to do  in ONshape. Sheet metal Cylinders and square to round sheet metal lofts.
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @joseph_terpend We are working on it.  To post this as an improvement for voting it must be one feature per post.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @joseph_terpend
    Square to round is not a developable surface, so strictly speaking, is not a sheet metal functionality. How do you use it?  What really happens when it is being manufactured?
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2017
    @lana I think this is what the OP means for round to square (sheet metal lofts), a very common requirement for sheet metal ducting work, same as this post  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/30265#Comment_30265

Using a roll form machine in sheet metal is also very common, the simplest form is a cylinder but shapes can also be made with varying radi and I have the need to the incorporate this with sheet metal bends. Here's an example of a part I'd like to unfold with rolls and bends.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @brucebartlett
    Thank you for your example. This one I understand - all the surfaces here are either plane or rolled + bends between them. It is clear how to unfold them into a flat. In case of arc to line loft there is no clear unfolding rule. I'd like to understand manufacturing process for such a model in order to choose the best approximation for unfolding. Your answer in the other thread suggests a possible approach: approximating loft with piece-wise flat surface. This would nicely correspond to a multiple bends manufacturing process.  I'd like to understand if this is the manufacturing process normally used for such models.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
  • Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭
    It's February 2023. Why is sheet metal still so crappy? It pretty much never works. I have a simple solid that's obviously sheet metal compatible, but it says 'it's not a solid.' Yes, it is! Please improve this feature. It's substandard.
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    @lana
    I've done this in the past manually as an approximation. It takes a lot of steps to accomplish. There is also a bit of fudging involved in cleaning up ends. Notice that each bend is a different angle. When bent on a break it will stretch enough to come out looking pretty good and will fit well. OS has difficulty anytime there is a need to overlap a bend or particularly where bends need a partial trim. I sure was pleased with Solid Edge being able to do an approximation some time back since I was doing a lot of these at the time. Used to get even more fuzzy when there was a need for floating liners offset 4 or 6" inside of the main casing.
    More facets will make a closer approximation.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6a5c2de10f77d28fb601c807/w/7a62351c650a26704e6c30a2/e/6ec37f399d00551edfbcf861

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @glen_dewsbury we are having a user group meeting March 23rd on sheet metal. I am planning to have a segment where we can discuss items like this to get a focus on sheet metal improvements and possible current “work arounds”. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I plan to attend.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will see you there.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,490 PRO
    edited February 2023
    @glen_dewsbury, @lana
    You don't actually need so many steps: you can loft directly from lines to a point to create a planar surfaces that will work for sure with a "thicken" sheet metal:

EDIT: improved the model a bit, note that you can trim the corner of the surface before creating the sheet metal model to cleanup the corner. Using the polygon tool and box selection it's pretty quick to create such a model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/43ef7c2dd3d6ab133a50258b/w/c817829a385222a6fee70df5/e/69849f7270e935ecf6471a5b

I just scrolled up further and looked at @NeilCooke's example and that's actually pretty simple... the trick to thicken lofted sheet surfaces for sheet metal is making sure the faces are actually planar.