Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Helix+Swept Cut and a Curve

I have a swept cable (circle) of constant diameter that runs along a path composed of sketch lines and fillets in an S shape. This is an armored cable and my client wants the helix cut armoring to be represented. My question is: Can I run a helix along this curving path to perform a thread-like cut along the cable? Does someone have an alternative idea so I can do this?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/741763e1afe8154022dd9ee7/w/56d29bb710024777917516b6/e/ea9aeaa9ef434c9a9299bb58

Best Answers

Answers

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 160 PRO
    Thats what I needed! Thank you very much!
    Where may I find these featurescripts? I cant locate them and I need them to add the armoring like the client has requested.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 1,793 PRO
    edited January 2018
    Open the link feature script public doc.

Then add the feature script to your custom toolbar

It should appear for use in your part studio here, as you can see I have quite a few in my list.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    I cant get the 3D spiral to work. It keeps trying to nearly overlap itself at one end and I can't figure out why. It causes my swept cut to fail because it intersects itselfI
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    you may derive a sketch trajectory to the public doc, tell me spiral diameter and post a link here
    I dont have the access to do that with this file. Using enterprise with proprietary data. Potential workaround: Is there a way to split a curve or perhaps cut a curve? If I can trim the part that acts weird, it can be successful
    is the wire axis made by spline? if so there possibly exist  a piece of spline of high curvature on the end, you could try to make it more linear
    I thought of that, but the ends are very straight since this routes into connectors. I cant see how it justifies creating the ends where it doubles back on itself. Later today I will recreate the wire route in a separate document for you to have a look at
    you may look at the edge curvature in the context menu, and try to encrease the number of points in the 3D Spiral feature
    edited January 2018
    Here is the cable and I recreated the exact conditions I'm dealing with. I cant get the 3D Spiral to act right at one end. It wants to double-back on itself and fails the regen on the swept cut

FYI I have basic knowledge of Featurescript at best. I did the tutorial, but I'm going to leave that realm to the experts.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/766fbcbb8a9c2196258e0f94/w/cb9e8bc9e88a5e7301db2b03/e/b849330e0df5fbfadfdf9382
    Thank you @konstantin_shiriazdanov! The swept cut seems to be operating well now. The only thing is that I am extruding a square shape and the profile rotates as it sweeps down the path versus keeping one line of the profile towards the rotation axis. Not a big issue at all and I'm thinking of just turning this to a circular profile just to have a uniform cut. This is exactly what I needed! My client will be ecstatic.
    The only thing is that I am extruding a square shape and the profile rotates as it sweeps down the path versus keeping one line of the profile towards the rotation axis.
    search for Sweep normal FS for this, it uses the normal to the face to keep orientation of the profile, curves are not good for presize control of orientation
    The only thing is that I am extruding a square shape and the profile rotates as it sweeps down the path versus keeping one line of the profile towards the rotation axis.
    search for Sweep normal FS for this, it uses the normal to the face to keep orientation of the profile, curves are not good for presize control of orientation
    Thank you. Ill take a look at that one too. I have about 9 different cables to route this weekend so I hope that the feature can handle all the varying splines. Ill let you know if I'm successful with all of them or if I have any more issues. Much appreciated!