Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surface Help

tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
Does anyone have any tricks for turning this quad surface into a single smooth surface? We need to create some tooling and these surfaces don't want to cooperate. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/087acfbc4a7ec17bc210deb8/w/20c71feea5c99bb206b9dbed/e/30c5b7c63345f976cfc2661e

Comments

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You would have to use a loft with guide curves. I was going to have ago referencing off your geomentry, but I could not copy the doc. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2018
    Unfortunately there is no one button/one surface solution to this problem. 

Like Bruce suggested, I sliced  your geometry and began re-creating surface patches based on curves produced from these slices.

It's a little bit of work, won't be the exact geometry, but it would be close. I tend to want to create datums and incorporate these slice curves into a structure allowing modifications when complete. After all this is a parametric system and this geometry should rebuild some how.

In the end, you'd have better geometry as this scanned data has many nooks and crannies in it's current definition. You can improve the surface quality.

It'd take me a day to create this model. But in the end, if this was the end of a golfer's driver, I'd have the entire set of drivers using parametrics.

• Options
    tyler_popetyler_pope Member, Developers Posts: 21 PRO
    I did try splitting it into slivers and creating section sketches, but couldn't get the loft command to play nice.

Thank you for the feedback. 
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @tyler_pope

I have made a copy of your document and i have made the part out of less surfaces.

Link: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e26d26656753a7a3682a83ec/w/5e1de1043c88cdcd98ff613d/e/97809a9cc59d7ed6ea38673f
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited March 2018
    @mbartlett21

Impressive!  About how long did it take to do this?  And does it matter what order you pick edges & guides?  How did you determine how large to make each 'patch'?

I need to add surfaces often and your example is a big help.  Thanks!
    www.accuratepattern.com