Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape and 3D mouses

Answers

• Mark_94Mark_94 Member Posts: 1
    One more vote for 3D mouse support!
  • matias_aresmatias_ares Member Posts: 2
    Hi lougallo, please add me to the 3D connexion support request.
    Regards 
  • matias_aresmatias_ares Member Posts: 2
    Nice to see now it works on Windows :| . But I'm a Linux / Mac User. is it feature coming to other OSes soon?
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @matias_ares I got this reply from dave_c from OS regarding 3D Connexion MAC OS support. I wrote them as suggested by Dave. My 3D mouse is in a drawer right now... :(

@nav Support for the 3D mouse in browsers on Macs requires implementation by 3D Connexion.  Onshape is platform independent - so when that support is provided, Onshape will work with it.  As Onshape is the first and only production CAD system that runs directly in browsers, 3D Connexion needed to develop new drivers. 3D Connexion was very pro-active in working with Onshape to both develop and beta test the Windows driver over the past several months - resulting in today's release.  They chose to provide support first for browsers on Windows as that is by far their largest market and are actively considering developing drivers for browsers on Mac.  We will forward your request to them and feel free to contact them directly with your request as well.  

Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • michael_mayr441michael_mayr441 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    Hello,

i love this!!!

ok it should work with my old space pilot too - yes?
    zooming is working perfect
    rotating (U,D,L,R) on the knob doesnt work
    because its firefox you cant change this (?)

is there an other setting i have to do?

br
    MM
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @michael_mayr441
    I'm also having the same issues with Onshape and the wireless space-mouse, in both Firefox and Chrome, zoom seems to work, but up, down, left, right and rotate are not working either singularly or in combination. I've also recently updated to Windows 10.  
  • nilanila Member Posts: 1
    Have you tried to reinstall the drivers for the 3D mouse ? it is clearly a new driver version, so that the driver should probably have a new version to install. 

It will work with all new versions that are compatible with the newest driver, if the mouse is too old to work with the new driver that have OS implemented, it will not work, and will probably not get fixed.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Zoom has worked all the time, it is the new driver that provides other movement as well. 
    //rami
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @nila @3dcad
    I'm not exactly sure what was going on previously , but I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and finally rebooted and this time around everything's working as expected, which is great, I must also add the having the 3D mouse working with Onshape is fantastic :) .   

• john_whitleyjohn_whitley Member Posts: 2
    What's the best way to contact 3Dconnexion with a request for Mac support for Onshape?  Their contact forms leave something to be desired by way of quickly and easily directing a feature request.
  • imagineeredimagineered Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    I had tried all the recommendations but still couldn't get the Space Navigator to work.
    Zoom in & out worked but no rotate.
    Asked the question of OnShape support who referred me to 3D Connexion as it apparently wasn't an OnShape problem.
    I have been chasing it up with 3D Connexion for a week & they are apparently working on the issue.
    However, without any new software updates, when logged into OnShape this morning, low & behold it works?????
    @3dcad  , I had the new driver installed, but only Zoom worked. Prior to that nothing worked.
    Now this morning without changing anything, it all works
    Nope sorry - logged out, & when I logged back in, back to Zoom only - appears to be an OnShape issue
  • juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Nope sorry - logged out, & when I logged back in, back to Zoom only - appears to be an OnShape issue
    I've noticed intermittent issues as well, but I'm not positive it's an Onshape issue or Chrome issue.  I usually have multiple windows open in my browser, and once in awhile I return to Onshape and I can no longer rotate.  If I restart Chrome, I get my 3D mouse back.  I wish I had a better answer, but at least you aren't alone.
    Now when we have 3d mouse support I switched completely to Chrome with Onshape. Earlier I used firefox because zoom is faster.
    I use firefox for everything else and chrome for Onshape, this makes it easy for me to close the browser at the end of the day or restart if I have problems.
    //rami
    The guys from OnShape are onto it. They have advised it seems to be an issue with the library from 3Dconnexion. It was suggested by doing a SHIFT refresh of the page (hold SHIFT and reload the page) it will clear the cache and usually fix this.  I have tried this & it works well. Hopefully the updates will sort it. Thanks @lougallo
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Shift Refresh worked for me this morning.  Worked yesterday but today revolve would not function until I hit Shift Refresh.
  • simon_9simon_9 Member Posts: 17
    For those that are having trouble making the 3Dconnexion Navigators work (meaning anything more than zoom functionality), my solution was to go to Firefox's 'Add-Ons' page followed by selecting 'Plug-Ins' which revealed a problem with ShockWave Flash which apparently had a security problem (v16 or v17 I think). Selecting 'update' from within Firefox followed by a restart of the browser has instantly cured the problem.
    No promises, but maybe it will work for you!
    Regards,
    Simon
  • David DessaintsDavid Dessaints Member Posts: 1

was told this morning by OnShape on the phone that 3D connexion apparently works. Even found a page on the 3D Connexion site that state it is supported.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-software.html

Although I still can't get it to work. OnShape guy told me to check with 3D Connexion that I needed to download something. Maybe I misunderstood.

I called up 3D Connexion. Guy there says he doesn't understand why it doesn't work.

With my 3D Connexion properties window open, when I click Onshape, it only sees chrome.

• juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited August 2015

was told this morning by OnShape on the phone that 3D connexion apparently works. Even found a page on the 3D Connexion site that state it is supported.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-software.html

Although I still can't get it to work. OnShape guy told me to check with 3D Connexion that I needed to download something. Maybe I misunderstood.

I called up 3D Connexion. Guy there says he doesn't understand why it doesn't work.

With my 3D Connexion properties window open, when I click Onshape, it only sees chrome.

@David Dessaints  Did you restart your PC after downloading and installing the 3D Connexion drivers?  My mouse didn't work until I rebooted my machine.  Now it just gives me problems from time to time but a refresh of the page fixes it.  I can't figure out if using my 3D mouse in GibbsCAM is causing issues or not but I do notice that I have to refresh my Onshape page more often when switching back and forth between Gibbs.  
  • david_barlowdavid_barlow Member Posts: 1
    @david dessaints: Mine would only zoom in Chrome with about a 1 year old driver file. I went to 3DConnexion --> support --> drivers and downloaded latest driver, installed, rebooted & works like a charm  :) Very happy as it's smooth as silk too unlike some big CAD packages  B)
  • brad_collinsbrad_collins Member Posts: 1
    Just updated the 3D Connexion driver but still no luck with my 3D mouse. Any tips? Desperately need this to work or else I'll be sticking with (read: stuck with) Solidworks!

Cheers,
    Brad
    @brad_collins
    Which browser do you use? Have you tried empty cache + refresh? 
    //rami
  • william_wuwilliam_wu Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Hello! I'm new to onshape and 3D mice, but I discovered recently that you can get native access to 3D mice in the browser using the HTML5 Web Gamepad API. You can test your mouse at html5gamepad.com. (This is mainly a shoutout to the developers.)
  • joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    but it works now so everybody is happy  :):):)
  • joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    actually I spoke to early. It seems that 3d connexion only implemented the needed features in the newest version of their driver and this version only supports newer devices.
    I suggest that the onshape team allows users to configure their own 3d device driver based on the html 5 gamepad implementation. Not only would this allow legacy 3dconnexion devices to work but also allow users with gamepads to use some of that functionality as 3d devices (for the use with VR environments and the likes)

and you don't actually have to install a driver on the computer for the browser to register the inputs, so it is also not platform specific.
  • jason_budinoff906jason_budinoff906 Member Posts: 1
    yet one more vote for 3d connexion spacepilots!
  • simon_4simon_4 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    edited October 2015
    lougallo said:
    @Kristoffer Probably not.  3D Connexion would need to support the driver on the platform. 

I'm also a linux user and i would also like to see 3d mouse support for onshape on linux.
    As far as i can say 3D Connexion driver supports Linux. But i do not know how the connection of the driver to onshape  is made through the browser. Not even sure if 3D Connexion need to implement this or chrom. Or even onshape? How was this done on windows. Could someone shed light on this.
  • ritchie_ritchie_ Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2015
    @william_wu, thanks for the html5gamepad.com link - it helped to debug an (older?) 3DConnexion Space Navigator. Update events are clearly making it into the browser, but not the rest of the way into Onshape.

@simon_4, A quick look further down the line indicates that the HTML5 gamepad API is nowhere close to the mechanism that Onshape is using to integrate with 3DConnextion products, and that for support on other OSes we will indeed have to wait for updates to 3DConnexions proprietary and closed source binary drivers on their schedule :'(

It's disappointing to see Onshape leverage so much cross-platform capability for its main offering, and then throw in with a specific company that will only support certain OSes and versions of their products for this particular integration. I hope the business decisions behind this move are worth it.