Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - June 15th, 2018

2»

Comments

• Options
    manolitomanolito OS Professional Posts: 2 PRO
    Thanks for the document management improvements, these are very helpful! Looking forward to the next improvements.
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    @Tony_C_ I think we are looking at adding some more controls but also know that we don't want to clutter up your mouse area too much. I would recommend generating an improvement to vote on for that. I've found the following workflow to be particularly fast with the new update:
    Going through and setting up all of my mates in a particular assembly/subassembly first. I didn't think the toolbar would be much faster than 'Shift+enter' but while recording the what's new video I was proven wrong.
    After all the mates are complete, go back and double-click mates to edit and adjust the positioning and offsets. The mouse travel is reduced from the mates list and mate dialog. Now, I understand that based on the assembly, this is not always an ideal workflow.
    Yeah, like all changes it just takes some getting used to.

And if you're still looking at tweaking the controls, might I suggest. >> https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6183/reverse-direction-flip-or-triad-for-offsets-limits

;) 
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Tony_C_ said:
    I like the idea of the new mating quick window.  But shouldn't it have the offset options in there also?   Many of my mates require an offset so I'm still needing to go back to the original old window once I click my 2nd mate.  
    My first experience with the new HUD mate dialogue was needing to add a limit and was a little disappointed not to find here. Overall though a great improvement, which could be further enhanced with offset and limits. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Also... I find I want the HUD to come up when editing mates, at the moment, I do not see that. 
  • Options
    bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    Variable tessellation: another request done! Perfectly executed with a simple, intuitive UI and good choice of user control and automatic. If you hadn't mentioned it I may not have noticed for years, which is good in a way.

• Options
    Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    could you guys please  add ''Replace'' function like solidworks.
    this can be useful both for model and drawing...

See the source image
  • Options
    Hendrik_Hendrik_ Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    Modifications in the 2d view for sm.  I love you people...!
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi folks.

Just went to test the new rendering options on my ludicrous circles file, and it rendered just fine even in auto mode:-

Big thumbs up from me for this improvement.  Thanks for the effort devoted here.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 400 PRO
    @sebastian_glanzner - glad you like it!

We never 'decline' an improvement request :)

All requests from all users are tallied and all enhancement requests from Pro users are tracked by user.
    If in aggregate, a request gets a lot of hits/votes, it moves up.
    If we spot a pattern amongst Pro users, it moves up.

Sometimes there are prerequisites that we know we have to do first.
    Just to tease you - of the top two enhancements in our system today, one is blocked by a significant behind-the-scenes piece of work that is being worked on now and the other (which will take multiple sprints), is also being actively worked on. Why am telling you this - because it's important to always submit requests (especially as a Pro user). Tell us if it's a 'need' (i cant do this any other way), a 'want' (there is a work around, but i really want this as its would be so much better), or a 'nice to have'.

We are glad that you like this release - a lot of people worked hard and there are always late-nights to get these to you every 3 weeks.

Please tell your friends at other companies as well as your customers and suppliers about Onshape !!! :)
    I keep telling everyone I know about Onshape and every three weeks your team gives me better arguments  :)   
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Yikun_Song

Please vote on this Improvement Request to see that functionality implemented in Onshape:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/28037
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Sheet Metal improvements, tessellation settings, HUD, tabs improvements... YEAH!  :)
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited June 2018
    this can be useful both for model and drawing...

add your vote here : https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/42312#Comment_42312

EDIT: Sorry @Jake_Rosenfeld didn't see you posted it too..
  • Options
    Please, don't do that... Do it better than in SolidWorks ;-)
    actually SW's replace is pretty good (when it works)
    it will even automatically replace all broken mates that share a face. This may be more challenging with Onshape's mate system, but I do think it is doable.
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in SW you generaly use "replace" to change the part with some significant variations, but in Onshape we have branches and versions and we can just change the version of the part (if it was natively designed in OS). so "change version" already covers some functionality of "replace"
  • Options
    in SW you generaly use "replace" to change the part with some significant variations, but in Onshape we have branches and versions and we can just change the version of the part (if it was natively designed in OS). so "change version" already covers some functionality of "replace"
    not true, Take for example the project I'm working on now in SW.
    We have replaced the conveyor a hand full of times (nobody can make up their mind on this damn project)
    All of the guarding and etc. isn't much but the replacement of an imported step file is still as easy and right click->Replace.
    The magic that I want Onshape to mimic is the ability to fix 1 mate, then all of the rest of the broken mates (that share that face) will also be fixed.

Again this is harder with Onshape because it selects mate connectors based off points on a face's contour. While SW will just use a face or edge in most cases.

On another side note, sometimes changing a feature on the tree will invoke a new internal ID for the part in Onshape. When this happens you need to replace the part with a new one, even though it is identical.

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Again this is harder with Onshape because it selects mate connectors based off points on a face's contour. While SW will just use a face or edge in most cases.
    in OS it may requare to define mate connectors of the new part first and then it wouldn't need to recognize geometry at all. just new mate connector instead of old one.

On another side note, sometimes changing a feature on the tree will invoke a new internal ID for the part in Onshape. When this happens you need to replace the part with a new one, even though it is identical.

yep, sometimes it happens, "The greater the force, the greater the responsibility"
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in OS it may requare to define mate connectors of the new part first and then it wouldn't need to recognize geometry at all. just new mate connector instead of old one.
    Maybe you can just select the new component, and then pick the point of that component that you want to use in the mate... without creating the mate connector
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @emagdalenaC2C again that is how SW does it (why I think it's a good benchmark to start from)

I replace a part in SW and it has an option to replace each mate and will give a preview of the mated face which you can select in a clean isolated view.
    Onshape's crew is pretty clever I'm sure they will make this look like a child's toy when all is said and done. But until then, our only option is to delete/replace in assemblies.. :(

Edit: maybe we should move this conversation to the IR thread..
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @john_mcclaryI know pretty well, how it works in SolidWorks 
    I worked as Technical manager in a SolidWorks reseller several years ago  >:)

I think that in Onshape it could works in a similar way but selecting points in the new component
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Replace becomes a big deal for me and I constantly wish I could do what I use to in SolidWorks but Onshape works very differently so lots of different options to consider when reconfiguring an old design. At the moment in Onshape, I am regularly using the copy assembly tool and also inserting linked top-level assemblies from other designs and copying out groups of components to save recreation work. I don't find the change version to be very helpful here, however, I regularly use it to update designs that changed at the root.  

For replacing my current workflow is inserting new part/assy, roughly positioning, show the mates on the original, suppressing the original to cause the mates to fail, then reconnect the mates one by one to the new part/assy and then deleting the original.   The SolidWorks wasn't perfect but still pretty good at taking an existing part/assembly using existing structure but replacing a lot of the parts/assemblies. I used to find I would use the pack and go a lot to duplicate an assembly then replace in higher level structure and because there was a commonality with the original creation geo things all just reconnected nicely. 
  • Options
    Oh, when did this create menu option come into being? That's cool

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @john_mcclary if you RMB in blank space in the tab manager you will also see this ability to create new tabs without having to go through that first menu layer.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @john_mcclary if you RMB in blank space in the tab manager you will also see this ability to create new tabs without having to go through that first menu layer.
    @bradley_sauln

It seems that there's an option missing: import. :(
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Someone is paying attention to the fine details @mbartlett21 ! I wouldn't expect any less from our CAD experts. I'm adding an improvement on this so there is consistency in what is seen between RMB and the + sign.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I really like the tessellation update. Now instead of seeing gaps between my timbers I see nice smooth edges. Thumbs up OS. 

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited July 2018
    Wow @don_howe ,

That's a very cool looking model! Glad we could help :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team