Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sorting public document search results by likes, copies, links

tom_10tom_10 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
public documents are a powerful tool for open source as they allow modification and improvements. when searching for a project sometimes I want to see the leading projects in a field, i.e 3d printers. there used to be the option to sort public document search results by likes, copies, # of links. now it is gone? strangely the option to search ALL public docs by these categories is available. so it is easy to find the utmost popular projects like FarmBot, but very hard to find projects with ~10 likes or copies.  this is silly!! am I missing something?
Tagged:

Answers

• tom_10tom_10 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    anyone?
  • kguo@onshape.comkguo@onshape.com Member Posts: 1
    Tom, 

Thanks for the question. Currently, sorting is not available in searching for public documents and other document filters also. Please open an enhancement request, we will prioritize it appropriately.

Kevin    

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2018
    @kguo@onshape.com

what does the promotedAt filter do when added to a public search?

to be specific:

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @billy2
    I think promotedAt is the default filter for viewing public documents in Onshape (not through the API)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @mbartlett21 I toggle it on/off when looking at public documents. They appear to be more evolved and I think they have a certain number likes. I'm using the API and toggling it on/off. Not sure what it does.

I found this post interesting because I too want to see the cool stuff, it's interesting to search by modify date & see what people are building:

• tom_10tom_10 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    thanks for the reply! I work at Maker/Fab labs and Onshape is becoming increasingly useful as a tool for open-source, as more projects are sharing onshape project links and not just "dumb" STL/DXF files. I think Onshape should be more forward-looking in this regard and encourage this. for example:

- addressing the "copy of copy of copy..." issue , making it easier to find the "original" or "source" of a shared project (such as the "derivative" feature on other sites) , this can also be more fair towards open-source project developers , to ensure proper crediting of original designers.
    - making it easier to find and use and share FeatureScript scripts 

keep up the good work!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great point @tom_10, I'd love to see a solution to the "copy of copy of copy" public document.  The structure is there for this to be used, it just needs to be enabled. However, I am sure there would be various scenarios needing to be considered for this to take place and maybe a few more checkboxes would be needed on public doc but should be doable. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977