Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to set endpoints of a sweep?

Beginners question, I tried to sweep a circular cutout on the outside of a solid. Sketch 4 is the circle.

The endpoints of Sweep1 did not turn out as I expected, I had expected the sweep to run a full 360 .

How can I set the endpoints?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you use for your path?
  • lars_anderssonlars_andersson Member Posts: 20
    I used the outer surface of the large extrusion 1 for path. Just curious what defines start and end of the sweep.
    Tried revolve instead, as suggested, and that gave me a full 360 cutout.
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ lars_andersson , For sweep,start and end point of sweep curve defines the start and end point.

You can select one direction option in revolve,

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A brief explanation of why, despite what @Narayan_K says, your sweep stops short of the end of the path, on the side nearest the viewer in your screengrab:

This is because the swept cut starts before the beginning of the path.

It starts at the profile sketch, in midair, and travels some distance before it starts cutting into your part.
    I made a public document "Prov 2" there i made  "Revolve 1" and  "Sweep 1" from "Sketch 4"
    "Sweep 1" is made along the intersection edge of "Revolve 1" and "Extrude 1".

I do not understand why "Sweep 1" ends squarely slightly after the Top plane

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ lars_andersson , Can you please paste the URL here so that we can look in to that.
    edited November 2015
    Hope it is this one:
     https://cad.onshape.com/documents/83409d532f4b46bd83ba32cd/w/2e1ea2949d804e7d8f616d0f/e/bd7b845248e64299889a2437

I think I see something now, the length of the sweep is taken from the sweep target, but the sweep is moved forward by the distance between the sweep source and the sweep target.