Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hole tool -feature

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    Maybe somehow named mate connectors could be a solution for automatic constraints for standard components. I would love to see automatic insertion for dowel and certain screws.

ps. Does anyone else need built-in pattern for hole tool? For me this would be a real time saver.. 
    //rami
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    What happens if the hole tool adds threads to holes that are tap drill size. Will your CAM program ignore the threads and just use the tap drill size for tool paths.

Dave
    Yes
  • julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    Another hole tool idea, from some work I was doing this morning. Frequently, when I'm designing holes, I need to make more than just one "type" of hole as part of one feature: I'll have a cbore and clearance hole in one feature, with a tapped hole in the feature it joins to. In SW, when I design bottom-up, I wind up laboriously creating distinct features on each part. In OS, I've started creating an entire hole assembly - screw + fastening feature - in a single sketch, which saves time. It would be neat if the hole tool could implement something along these lines, letting you define planes or model features as references for different parts of a hole (bottom of a cbore, beginning and end of threaded segments, etc.), in addition to simply defining lengths.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Some great ideas here
    I too would like to see a pattern option, especially if it patched seamlessly through to the exact same user interface as the (patiently awaited) sketch pattern.
    And @Julian Leland  : that sounds like a very good way of using the promising "in context" possibilities opened up by the OnS part studio concept.
  • alex_savage10325alex_savage10325 Member Posts: 1

Definitely, I too would like to see a fully featured hole tool added ASAP. Not sure it needs to include a patterning function providing the normal feature patterning tool works just as well with these features.

3dcad said:
    What do you people think of separate hole tool?

Which would be simply for making holes quickly, click hole tool, set diameter and depth, set hole type (threads etc.), set pattern values, set reference & mirror, select edge 1 and dimension, select edge 2 and dimension. Include hole library with all or some of fields auto-fill.

Tool should be similar to 3-ax wood-working cnc machines default editor which takes only seconds to create a bunch of drillings.
    Doing same in cad takes half an hour creating circles, dimensioning, extruding, making patterns.. and the pain of checking/editing dimensions in dozens of dialogs.. 
    I will add some screenshots of the most usable drilling dialogs in our machines if this gets any attention.

This would save tons of my time but does anyone else need it?

+1 for hole tool
    Here are the screenshots from BiesseWorks which is the most usable and simple hole creating tool among our cnc's. I don't mean Ons should follow these dialogs from past century but the idea of having all hole info in same place for easy editing would be a time saver.

You can choose one or more corners to replicate which is faster than mirroring. You can choose either diameter or tool to determine the size of the hole.

Built-in pattern provides all the information in one dialog.

For me something like this would be the best way to design holes since this is how I'm going to get them into cnc.
    It's just so easy and fast that working with CAM for such simple things would take more time.

What do you think?
    //rami
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1

Hole tool/wizard/feature... is indispensable!
  • sergio_p_sergio_p_ Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    +1 for a hole tool also! When I make product desing is not so evident the neded of the hole tool, as a product normally have only or two holes (my kind of products). But when I desing molds, tools and others assemblies, then is when I realize the usefull of a specific tool for holes.
    Sergio PLUCHINSKY
    CAD, FEA and Engineering Consultor
    +54 9 11 2250 0564
    I hope the OnS team pay careful consideration to the notion @3dcad mentioned, of being able to click a particular corner as a shortcut way of specifying two axes of symmetry for a mirror operation, when one hole or pattern of holes is to be repeated at all four corners of a rectangular face -- a very common situation anywhere parts are fastened together, not just in the cabinetry Biesseworks is presumably targetting.
  • thomas_5thomas_5 Member Posts: 5
    The Hole feature should be standards based including clearances. This way people will not have to "look up" what size a hole needs to be based on the fastener intended to go through it. Using generic size input is great for other purposes but fasteners are a big consideration.

Having holes propagate across multiple parts similar to Inventor Bolted Connection generator would be fantastic. This would place clearance holes though parts, threaded (bonus with physical threads) in other parts, and place the fastener with assembly connections. It's a big ask but it's a very nice workflow keeping the focus on the major components and treating fasteners as a necessary element but not "the design".

• dennis_20dennis_20 Member Posts: 87 EDU
    I am just now getting into using OnShape, but something closely like the SolidWorks Hole Wizard and even Toolbox are mandatory for me.

I just saw this post and replied with my $.02, and now I'm looking for the best place to put my Wish List or to look and comment on others' lists.  I've been carrying around a list in my pocket of things I'm used to having in SWX that are not (yet) in OnShape or they exist in some other form and I've yet to find them.  Is there a good place to post this list?

- - -Dennis

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @dennis_20 Maybe you should start a wish list discussion
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    dennis_20 said:
    ..  Is there a good place to post this list?

- - -Dennis

Post each of them as separate feedback ticket directly to Onshape.

I tried to open a thread for everyone's wishlist few moths ago but Ons people hoped that there was only one wish in each discussion and ticket created using feedback.

I would like to read everyone's lists though..
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We will have a voting list soon.  Working on the final details now and hope to launch soon.... I do like reading the lists but hard for us to pick out what everyone is after.  Individual feedback is good and I hope this new mechanism is well received. I need a few more days to polish things up and I will announce it on the main page. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for hole tool also, to make threaded holes, tapered holes, counterbored holes and countersink holes.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • JobenJoben Member Posts: 1
    +1
  • peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the hole tool for me too. Using manufacturing standards to define the holes is a major plus feature. Yes need to be able to use patterns to place features easily. Would also be good if it related to a library for easy picking the bolts etc for use on the assembly.
  • azubuike_nwadeiazubuike_nwadei Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    +1 for hole wizard/tool

I'm a mechanical engineer at an automation company and all of our steel frames are basically plates and sheet metal with holes cut for this or that. It would be way too trouble-some to draw that in on our own all the time.
  • claudio_2claudio_2 Member, Developers Posts: 8 ✭✭
    3dcad said:
    Maybe somehow named mate connectors could be a solution for automatic constraints for standard components. I would love to see automatic insertion for dowel and certain screws.

ps. Does anyone else need built-in pattern for hole tool? For me this would be a real time saver.. 

I design furniture and this is also my dream...
  • lonnie_1lonnie_1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Has anymore thought been give to this feature?
  • robert_williams570robert_williams570 Member Posts: 2
    I say YES to a hole tool.  :-)
  • caroline_readcaroline_read Member Posts: 31
    +1 for hole wizard

• joe_sullivanjoe_sullivan OS Professional Posts: 4 ✭✭
    +1 for hole wizard.

With a hole wizard (and drawings) my team could almost move entirely to OS.

SW's hole wizard is an extremely useful tool, not having to lookup drill, clearance hole, and threaded hole charts, and easily and quickly creating countersinks and counterbores is a real time saver. Also, with the hole wizard, being able to easily transfer the details of the holes to drawings (like SW's "hole callout" tool) would be great.
  • dave_marzocchidave_marzocchi Member Posts: 2
    How about an update on when a hole wizard type feature will be added.  This should be one of your top priorities in my opinion. 
    edited October 2015
    Um - since the post before last, a hole feature has indeed been added, and VERY good it is too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=408ixoD64QM
  • joris_kofmanjoris_kofman Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I am also using the hole feature at every chance, since I am expecting there will be automatic hole callouts and hole tables in drawings, shortly.

Until then what I am missing are:
    1. the ability to start a hole inside material. So if I created a symmetric extrude and want to make a hole from a point in that sketch that is located at the symmetry plane right now I can not do that. I have to make a new sketch offset from the surface or at one surface and re-sketch the centerpoint for the hole feature to accept it. This is especially handy when creating a shaft with a hole perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, I would be able to get by with just one sketch, one revolve and one hole feature, but now i have to have two sketches, one revolve and one hole feature, that is 25% more work (for this simple example)

2. selecting all points in a sketch by selecting the sketch in the feature tree, does not work (not having to select all holes manually would be great)

I am however a great fan of the blind in last feature, that is not something that I have seen before it is a great addition for the multipart editing approach. Maybe it could be extended such that you could create a threaded hole in all but the last component in the scope and create countersinks and clearance holes in the rest of the merge scope at once.
  • daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I'm trying to make tapered holes to fit heat-set threaded inserts.  If you could add a "Tapered" hole option to the drop down list which includes "Simple, Counterbore, Countersink" that would be very useful.    I've tried using a countersunk hole and adjusting the countersink angle to approximate the hole I need, but the 45 degree lower limit isn't enough to taper the hole sufficiently.  

• RichardDRichardD Member Posts: 1 PRO
    I have exactly the same problem.   Want to make a tapered hole for a Heat-Set insert (mine is an M5).    I hope this can be added soon.
  • ciancicianci Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Indeed. I suspect there are many of us with this same request. Any news on "tapered holes" yet? (Or even a decent workaround? I was able to get reasonably close faking it with a "draft" feature, but it required me to do most of the math by hand, which is obviously suboptimal...)
  • thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    I would like to have more thread-sizes (in my case for ISO): the available range is M3 to M20 only, and, except for 3 and 5, only even numbers are available :/  
    The pitch cannot be altered and offers only a standard value - no chance to have metric-fine threads defined.
    IMHO this would just be some additional entries to a table from which these menu-values are offered ?!
    I would offer my support on adding some more values to this table.

And I would like to have some kind of auto-naming of these holes in the feature-list consisting of e.g. the chosen diameter/thread-size and depth.

Thomas