Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export vs. Translate/Download

matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I'm curious why there is a different workflow and terminology for STL (RMB > Export STL) and other formats (RMB > Translate, {Pick Format}, navigate to new tab, RMB > Download). 

Both workflows result in a single file containing translated geometry to exist in the Downloads folder. 

Am I missing something?
Matthew Loew
Tera Development Solutions

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @matthewloew‌ STL and Parasolid were both the same workflow but we added translate to expand the capability.  The bottom line is we are working on streamlining both the translation and download functions so you get what format you want the same with (without unnecessary tabs, steps etc..)
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    No good reason -- just historical differences in when they were developed.  As Lou said, we (I myself actually) are working on a new design for unifying various export operations and expanding options (export to another Tab, a file, both, etc).  Any suggestions?
  • matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Well, Jon, since you asked...

I think the workflow for any translation should work the same way as the STL export currently does. With no visualization or pedigree of the translated data in the tab for the other formats I fail to see why I would want that tab at all. Translating the geometry and creating a tab to contain the data (and it is really data only at this point, as the translated geometry is in a file and that is what the tab contains) seems like it has very little utility. The file must be exported from the Onshape document (downloaded) for anything to be done with it other than the special case where I translate that file back to Onshape format and then have a Part Studio of dumb geometry.

I would also like to see a version automatically created when I export/translate. That way I have a pedigree (what geometry, who did it, and when) that is preserved. Then I can go back to a customer or supplier with a decent answer when they ask questions about what the hell I was doing when I made the file. Right now, I have very little more than a time stamp.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Loew
    Tera Development Solutions
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    @matthewloew‌
    I partly agree I think there should be an option when exporting to create a tab (again if wanted not defaulted to..) for archival reasons. Knowing what was built at what branch could be helpful when exporting and having parts made at a vendor. Your idea is good on having automatic branches but keeping the 'original file' might be needed as sometimes translations do not go as planned and having the original data will not identify any translation issues if any of the translation algorithms have changed or been updated
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2015
    My vote, don't add to tabs. Tabs become cluttered to easily. I like the way STL works. 

On this same note, when branching, I would like to select which tabs get copy over. I've branched and got 3 videos that didn't work from the original branch, why would I want to make a copy of 3 non-working videos? Also, all support documentation doesn't need to migrate to the next branch, have the default only move OS documents. Do I really need to be copying the support documentation each time I branch?

Below is where I want to turn on/off tab in a column format. Have only OS documents "on" have all other support "off". You need to add a column check/uncheck. In this example below, I would expect everything would be checked since I have no supporting documentation.

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    I concur with @matthewloew‌ that breadcrumbs about where the original came from are important. I'd prefer to have source info (username, machinename, filepath, date) and a place I could add notes if I wanted, rather than committing a version, but as long as there is a workflow that captures the info I don't really care.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @‌Traveler
    That's a good point that if it becomes a tab, it's controlled. I fear that it's a lot of data, more than the tabs can handle.

I currently dump all manufacturing files into a folder and it gets really big:

When branching, I believe supporting data is copied and not a pointer to the original. So each time you branch you are duplicating. I don't think this is what you want.

Can someone please confirm if support documentation is duplicated or pointed to?

Let's see, let's use software vernacular: pass by reference or pass by value?

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @bill When we branch, internally, we don't make copies of tabs (including uploaded data) -- it's just references.  We do make copies when you copy/paste a tab or copy a document.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    edited January 2015
    2015/01/23 9:12am created

link to original post

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it's just a matter of cluttering up the tab bar.

I'm just figuring out this whole branching concept, but one thing I noticed is that I delete a lot of tabs and strive to keep it clean & organized.

Currently I post everything to my website and use the cloud as a backup. I have unlimited storage so why not.

Posting all project assets into Onshape sounds like a good idea but putting everything in tabs on the bottom of the view port seems like a bad idea.

I don't have problems finding stuff on my website even though it has tons of reports, notes, files etc... up there. I have no html navigation on my website so google leaves me alone and I can't use their search engine to find stuff.

Search for Onshape Document Assets Try This

1 character
    1 character loads everything beginning with that character. I'm searching description.

2 characters
    2 characters loads everything beginning with those characters.

3 characters
    3 changes the search. Now, it looks at the entire string. Also, I search both the description and the body fields and separate the results with a linefeed.

pick
    When you pick, it loads the note. I keep all my engineering notes on the cloud, and have been for the last 9 years. Even though I've had 7 computers and hundreds of customers over the years. I can still find the engineering notes even though I barely remember creating the notes. I love the cloud.

code
    It's pretty easy, look at the search string size and branch to different queries. Please don't hack my website.

summary
    You'll be surprised at how much meta data can be associated with a project. I want a single database and would like to move all my data to Onshape. 2 databases=not good. 1 database=groovy.

Sorry about the verbose example, I just saw Scott's webinar, here's an example of what I would like.