Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Feed back on who is using your public and shared parts

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
edited February 2015 in Data management
It would be nice to know who is using/viewing your public and shared parts.

I want some snapchat inspired features so I know when my parts are being copied are even screen shoot. It might be also nice to have a LIKE button on public parts, parts with the most likes go to the top of the list. What are other people thought's?
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
Tagged:

Comments

• clem_1clem_1 Member Posts: 8
    I would expect something like this, but more along the lines of Thingverse.  A site like Thingverse that had a one click edit with Onshape would be awesome.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I agree. I also think a "like" button on public parts would be cool. Let the high quality stuff float to the top...
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited February 2015
    Maybe even a "follow" your favourite desiger
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the ideas, all!  What do you think of GrabCAD's system?
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

Others have seemed to gone down the path of blocking the screen out with an images of the public parts/models. Onshape have gone with a listing style, I think the onshape style looks good for my private parts (however don't like having to click to preview). I am after more detail if searching for a public part to steal bits from eg. likes and downloads telling its got quality and might be worth a look.

As the creator of a public part, it would be nice to see how many downloads/copies have been performed. 
    edited February 2015
    I mentioned the snapchat thing above more for my shared private parts, if I share my privates to someone I trust only to see downloads and screenshot happening, there might be some warning signs as how much trust should be vested in this person. Just an idea to protect IP.

Also it might be nice to have a timeout feature on a shared part eg. share for 2hrs, 2days or 1 week. 
  • CaseRydellCaseRydell Member Posts: 2
    @BruceBartlett - Thanks for these ideas!  If you copy or use some person's or vendor's public parts within Onshape, do you want them to know and see your name?  Or would you prefer to remain anonymous?

It might be nice to know how many times your public part has been downloaded. 
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    Great stuff. I opened a ticket #2177 to start tracking these "social" issues.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Here's another opinion!

I don't want cad.onshape.com to be social in any way. I go in here to get focused work done. As soon as we have chat, news feeds, and whatnot, productivity has just been tossed right out the window. Stats would be nice, but they drive a desire for popularity not a desire for good work. I would see any features added in this area as diluting the utility of Onshape.

THAT SAID: I think it would be awesome to have "make public" and "allow public fork". I was really hoping for public forking when I first came to Onshape, as I am trying to get a few open source projects started up and don't want to hassle with user management. :smile: 
    Onshaper said:
    Here's another opinion!

I don't want cad.onshape.com to be social in any way. I go in here to get focused work done. As soon as we have chat, news feeds, and whatnot, productivity has just been tossed right out the window. Stats would be nice, but they drive a desire for popularity not a desire for good work. I would see any features added in this area as diluting the utility of Onshape.
    Good Point, I sort of want the home screen to be more like a ERP screen where I go to search and find parts and project. I see GrabCad is a partner so will be interesting to see how this works with Onshape. 

The main thing I want on the home screen is a better search feature that you can add filters too and will drill into the part names and properties. 
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    All the social stuff should be visible only when viewing public documents.. My documents view should aim to be productive as @Onshaper pointed out.

Another thread about this: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/630/favorite-public-documents

//rami
    edited April 2015
    My favorite thing about Onshape is how simple, yet robust, it is. I know that features will be added, and that is good. The problem is that features add complexity, which in my mind, will take away from Onshape's functional beauty! (Think Japanese design & engineering.) I really hope that Onshape team is ruthless about maintaining simplicity as features are added!
    edited April 2015
    3dcad said:
    All the social stuff should be visible only when viewing public documents.. My documents view should aim to be productive as @Onshaper pointed out.

Another thread about this: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/630/favorite-public-documents

I like the idea of the public doc's being different to your main doc's, Maybe when you make a doc public it pushes it out of the main company/users doc's list, this could encourage more people onto the paid plan.
    @3dcad , that's not a bad idea, except that many users (myself included) will be publishing public documents as a result of the 5 private document cap on the free version. Because of this, and because I like to make my work public, I still don't want public documents to feel like a chat room or social network. :smile: 
    edited April 2015
    @Onshaper  I would like to see public documents as a list of professional models which can be search effectively and used in real designs BUT I think we need also some kind of playground for training, testing and hobbyists.

Even for pro models, I would like to see rating (1-5) and how many times it's copied. And wouldn't be bothered if there was (collapsed) list of comments. I think this would make it a lot easier to find good components to use in real modeling.

And if documents are shared by company who want's to sell them (actual component, not data), there should be company info and description. No advertising though.

If onshape want's to be cruel they could offer professional public models by manufacturers only for paid pro accounts... I wouldn't blame them if they did.
    //rami
    edited April 2015
    I can see where you are coming from. My reaction is to suggest: Public documents could be listed as a parts repository, a publish of a controlled design, or an open source collaborative project. I have faith that Onshape could figure out a good way to handle these three cases.

My only concern is that if you follow every customer request you could easily get bloated software.

For example, if people just started putting "REPO" in front of their public repositories, and there was an option to allow public forking within the document, that might handle all three cases without adding much more than a checkbox in the share window.

I actually don't like rating systems for documents because the "best" ones are the most popular, not the best ones. Have things sorted by rating and you run into an issue where old documents are always on top. I think this is a bad idea for innovation.
    With rating I was thinking somethings like clever use of Ons features, mate connectors in place and other things that makes it easy to implement into your model - when talking about components. But I can see your point also..
    //rami