Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can M2 Threads be added to the hole tool?

jonathan_meadjonathan_mead Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm a model engineer just getting started with Onshape, and aside from the steep learning curve associated with 3D CAD, I'm find the program amazing. However, for model engineers, the range of standard threads available in the hole tool is a bit limited. I realise that model engineers are unlikely to take out a subscription, and therefore our needs are going to come low down the priority list, but adding BA, ME and the small metric thread sizes to the hole tool would be incredibly useful. 

On the subject of subscriptions, I would be willing to pay a smaller, non commercial monthly fee for more storage space and the kind of features more useful to the hobbyist, such as my suggestions above. It seems the current fee structure is all or nothing, and beyond the means of the hobbyist.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    I use M1.6 and M1.4 Screws (Think Spectacle Screws).  Pain in the neck to tap.
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Yes please small sizes would be great. I also use M1.6 and M1.4
  • Options
    mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
    M2.5 is my missed favorite
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    For me it sounds like we need custom thread library tied to account/document..?
    //rami
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 to custom thread libraries.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We are working on this...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    lougallo said:
    We are working on this...
    Any plans so far ?
    The main issue is to have the, manually edited (?), thread-dimensions stored with the parts in the PartStudio to have them afterwards available in the drawing.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Hi, you could try thread creator-- it can create screw threads:

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    @dave_cowden, thread creator is cool, but it's not parametric with drawings. I.E. you cant just drop a hole callout on it and have it say what thread it is. That and too much detail on larger models will just slow everything down. Sometimes just a simple hole with hidden thread lines is all you want.
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I see, you really don't want threads, you want thread callouts. Ok yes thread creator isn't good for that use case