Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mouse rotate view moved from the middle mouse button! WHY?????

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
Ok guys I know the updates are 99% good but this change the rotate view to the right button and pan to the middle mouse  button is driving me right BATTY! 

Who do I need to plead to to get that functionality back on the middle mouse button. Or allow us to define this ouselves.

PLEASE before I lose my mind...

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2015
    Working fine on my mouse. RMB spin, scroll pans in/out, like always.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited January 2015
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited January 2015
    I guess this wasn't outlined in the "What's new" post.  Middle mouse button has been converted to pan as rotate had been overloaded as both right mouse button and middle mouse button.  Left mouse button and scrolling the mouse wheel haven't been changed although we are investigating changing the zoom in behavior.

Another minor change is that zoom-to-fit/default camera views now take dialogs into account if they are docked along the top/bottom/left/right at time of zoom.

Also, camera controls can be used while dragging in an assembly.  
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Ok, Jake...sorry but HATE it. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    No I am not fan either.

Although I just tried moving an assembly, while rotate the veiw, zoom in out out and panning and manged all four. Was a bit like play twister. Can't imagine I would do this often. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Bruce said:

Although I just tried moving an assembly, while rotate the veiw, zoom in out out and panning and manged all four. Was a bit like play twister. Can't imagine I would do this often. 
    It is something that I use when in snap mate mode.  If I need to snap to the back face of something or if I have another part obscuring the view then I find it really useful.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Is it so you zoom pan and scroll at the same time? 
    Could you not do that before? I have already forgotten.
    I realize I have been complaining but that does not help the developers understand what is going on. Here is a better explanation for the Onshape developers to understand my frustration with this:

I have used the middle mouse button since 98 to rotate the view. It is ingrained in my consciousness, it is instinct even. Now when I hit the middle mouse button to rotate and it pans my brain stops and tries to process what just happened. Being A.D.D. this is enough to throw me off and I lose context in what I was working on. I don't think A.D.D. is the only type of mind effected by this though. I bet most experience this to some degree. Because it is instinct it is in the subconscious, engrained behaviours like this take a very long time to re-program. Anyhow loss of context in what I am working on several times a minute is enough to drive one batty. Imagine a kid saying Dad, dad, dad, dad.. poke poke poke... while trying to work. 

Seriously for me this is easily a loss of 20-30% of my efficiency. I will now use my iPhone app or the track pad until this is something I can choose or it is reverted to the old way.

I guess I have officially hit the grumpy old man, a dog cannot learn new tricks phase of my life. 
  • traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Same here.... Give us back the middle mouse button for rotate please. If you don't like the overload remove the RMB.

Tick no 1 for me when I first used Onshape. :) Middle Mouse Button for Rotate. 

15 minutes on Onshape then back onto SW for the arvo, first few mins spent pressing the RMB to rotate. No good when crossing platforms.

Hey on a positive note. Love the triad assy move, less fighting to get correct assy movements.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I also think the middle mouse button needs to be reserved for view rotate.  I think the biggest potential market is for SolidWorks customers.  You will want to make them feel at home (in some ways) as quickly as possible.  Its disconcerting to feel out of your element navigating a model.  It takes brain power away from exploring the rest of the program.  I think I can still learn new tricks myself, but it will be an upward climb for curious investigators of the platform.  I just had installed Windows 10 preview and fired up Onshape when I noticed this.  I thought maybe my mouse settings went out the window...  Could the view manipulation controls be options under the upcoming settings area?
  • Bruce_BuckBruce_Buck Member Posts: 2
    Putting in my feedback as well on this. I think the key reason this is such a big deal is adoption rate and acceptance into the workforce. As a CAD Admin who has had to endure platform changes from SolidWorks to NX, as well as SolidWorks to Inventor, it makes it THAT much more difficult to help people learn and adjust to a new workflow and interface when things are so different, especially something as important as model navigation. I'm not knowledgeable enough in business to know for sure but I would assume the easiest way to gain "converts" to your product would be make it similar enough to the platform of your target market, at least in the areas where its good, and make it different in the areas where users disliked their current platform. I don't think model navigation was one of those areas SolidWorks users disliked.
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    edited January 2015
    Making Onshape comfortable for users coming from other CAD systems is important as is making common functions easy. Your responses have been heard loud and clear. We are bouncing around ideas for best supporting various hardware, operating system and ergonomics. Stay tuned...

Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • chris_aicherchris_aicher OS Professional, User Group Leader Posts: 23 PRO
    I was skeptical about the mouse button change as well, but after using it awhile, I'm kind of diggin' it. Sure, it is different from the norm, but it's not all that bad.
    Chris Aicher
    aicher@battleaxe.com
    Tigard, OR
    I have to eat crow... Ill be honest I have figured it out and my initial anger about this has dissipated. Sorry OS for my over the top rant... 
    The only problem I have now is moving back into Solidworks and bring up the mouse gestures constantly for the first 5 minutes. How ever if onshape was my only CAD I think I would get use it.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I think we can get use to it too... But for those investigating it might be just enough mental horsepower taken away from them to not give them the greatest impression at first - and also those as Bruce mentioned that are back and forth among different programs.  Tough call.  I'm sure its complicated with all the devices and OS's they need to plan for.  Scott and company have a hard job, no doubt.  I wonder if the controls can be settings that we can set to our hearts/device/OS desire?
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Ugg... Mouse gestures.  Same thing happens to me. ;-)  Oh how quickly 14 years of SW can be re-programmed...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    FWIW a lot of 3D systems user RMB drag rotate - Rhino, 
  • ricky_jordanricky_jordan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Surprisingly after a little seat time with the RMB rotate, I was able to adapt to it OK.  But when moving back and forth between OS and SW, it will be an issue to deal with.  Best solution would be to have an option so that users could make the choice.  Maybe make the option account based?  I certainly realize this could have ramifications/effects in several areas.  I can sympathize that this is a difficult decision to make from a UI standpoint.  I don't see this as a huge issue though.

Ricky
    edited February 2015
    I am also hit the space bar to deselect in SW's and bring up the view dialogue.  
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Switching back and forth between CAD is difficult. Once in one system, one adapts quickly.

It would be nice to have a configuration that sets up an environment.

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    At first I hated it, but now I don't even notice it... It only takes a sec to switch my mind back when I switch software.
  • andyandy Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I prefer this set up, but can understand how it would be frustrating. I use a number of 3D apps, Maxwell Render, Blender etc in my work flow and they all have different mouse configuration, shift, alt, middle button, right button. Somehow I manage, but in my opinion since there is no standard across all apps, the CAD application needs to allow the user to set their preference. Also since this app is platform independent, it would be great for it to support 2 finger rotation on a multi touch trackpad. Rhino for OS X has a great implementation for this and it also would tempt me to get a track pad for my desktop.
    Are you on a Mac track pad? There is a difference if you just skim your fingers on the track pad vs press and get the click then hold it with two fingers and move around then it goes from pan to rotate. I loved this once I had @Lou point this out to me.
    I'm with Andy, I can't get mine to rotate either. I can zoom, but no rotate. Seems like in the past I could click and drag to rotate. Now when I click and drag it selects.

• andyandy Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Sorry if this is a little off topic for this thread, but Ben, that does work thanks. I still feel the Rhino OS X implementation is easier to use.
  • michael_lesliemichael_leslie Member, Mentor Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Back at work using Inventor having played with Onshape a lot this weekend and I have started dozens of commands i didn't want to, stupid mouse gesture control. It wouldn't be so bad if i didn't have a space mouse that i keep forgetting is next to my left hand. 
    Anyway my point is that the switch bugged me to being with but it only took 10 minutes for me to have adopted this new control method and it is better than when I'm using my two button track-pad laptop and don't have a mouse. 

• matt_hardmanmatt_hardman Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    From my perspective RMB to rotate works great. I use both CATIA and SW. I used to think CATIA had the best model spinning & panning, but OS beats it.