Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Working with Exported DXF/DWG Files...

scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
With the latest push, we export a selected sketch or the edges of a selected planar face. Please let us know how you are using exported DXF/DWG files. What is your workflow?  Are the DXF/DWG files being read into your "receiving software" as you expect?  

As always... examples are very helpful.

Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    I use it for my laser cutter using Mach3 and I pre-process it via CAMBAM for the g-code (Receiving software). So far so good. Ill be doing another run here early next week and will document as much as possible
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I hopefully get some parts cut today. Should be all good, just what I was am after. Now I am going to be pestering for Sheet metal ;) .

@scott out of interest, what version do these files come out?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Got a part out just now. I'm in metric and have to scale up by 1000. Be better if it come out on size. Might work better in inches but never use them (should be banned that is until I get my nice old imperial lathe, them maybe I will switch back).

I'd also like to be able to name the file from the dialogue or ideally pull the name from the part name or meta properties.

Love it, export all parts to be cut straight from the 1 part studio.  :)  Should be quick as.

Ideally I want save the file straight from Onshape and it's done. I don't want to have to rescale or rename or even move directories.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Seems like the output needs to be scaled to inches or mm. Most waterjet guys want inches.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    I agree on the MM thing. Changing the scale, although minor, is a bit of a pain.
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    Bruce, the DWG/DXF version is 2013.   
    We're investigating the units issue. 
    Thank's @JonMcIntyre, hopefully there's an easy fix. 
    edited February 2015
    The export now works well now for mm. 

When I load in Draftsight to check, it comes up in thick lines, I think this because the layer set to .4 thickness. I would prefer no thickness, not sure if this is a Onshape or Draftsight thing. Seems to be related to the continuous layer the lines are exported on. I don't thick this is a operational issue with my sub contractor profile cutters just me being fussy. 

Now I should be able to export straight from Onshape to the Laser, no draftsight/autocad involved.

The thickness is set on the Onshape side.   As a workaround, in Draftsight, you can get to the command line prompt and type LWDISPLAY.  Set the value to Off.  

We have lineweights on by default for regular drawing creation (yes, we're working hard to get that done!).
    I'd be interested in hearing more opinions on whether we should turn lineweight off by default when doing DXF/DWG export of faces/sketches.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2015
    Upgrade to dwg/dxf export.

Please add units to the export dialog, default can be document units. I design in mm but have to export in inches. It's so painful to change system units to inches, export and then change back. A real waste of time and a lot like SW which is not a good thing. Please don't do this to me.

Please add units to this dialog box:

My system units are mm but I want to export in inches. Or, just change the world and remove inches from the planet. You can choose which ever is easiest.

Also, I'm using the official dwg/dxf validator and I'm getting this error:

I got this error for both dwg & dxf.

edited March 2015
    Hey @JonMcIntyre , I am still have trouble getting my .dxf straight from Onshape into Trumpf Tops (our laser programming app). I have to go though draftsight and save out as 2010 ascii DXF.
    We need to get bill's enhancement request, and these problems logged, with details on how to reproduce them.
    Mine is logged as ticket 2170
    Mine is  #2135. Lou is doing a great job logging these into the system. 
  • kirk_2kirk_2 Member Posts: 34
    I can't seem to find the DXF export in OS.

Since I do 99% 2.5D milling I import DXFs into CAM.  I do 2D CAD in Draftsight, but use 3D CAD (SW) since I can export a sketch as DXF.
    edited March 2015
    @Kirk just right click a face or sketch and you will see "export as DWG/DXF" Its that easy

Bruce
  • wileywiley OS Professional Posts: 17 PRO
    @Scott I also do a lot of 2.5D machining and need to export dxf profiles of reasonably complicated parts (see screenshot). While for simple profiles the surface click --> export to dxf works great, but I also need it to export all the lines for an entire view. In the screenshot part, I'd need all the features shown in the view. In solidworks, I make a drawing and export from there. But being able to get all the lines without that step would be great.

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    Judging from the Product Tour, the drawing environment will allow just that.

Dries
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    To get all of the lines of a model, grabbing a drawing view will be the best method (when drawings are available). Also, from the above discussion, what version of DXF would be the best common denominator? Bruce mentioned 2010 version... are there any other considerations? If you were to choose any version, which would it be?

/Scott
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • wileywiley OS Professional Posts: 17 PRO
    @scott - that's what I figured...just wanted to add my two cents about dxf profiles being a necessary feature for my workflow. As for dxf version, whatever version the export face to dxf is saving as now works just fine in CamBam. From SolidWorks I usually save out as R2000-2002 and haven't had any issues.

Really liking the product so far. Interface-wise it's an improvement over SW. Any timeframe for the drawing environment? it's the only thing keeping me from switching over at the moment.

Cheers,

Wiley

• ritchie_ritchie_ Member Posts: 11
    Just tried to export a metric document as DXF for a waterjet machine and it opened in inches. I had a quick peek in the file and didn't see an $INSUNITS object as referenced here, only $LUNITS and $AUNITS. I don't know if those are sufficient (nor do I know the intricacies of DXF R10 vs R12+), but in the meantime adding a unit selector to the export dialog box would be much appreciated per @billy 's suggestion. Thanks for considering!
    @ritchie_argueWorks for me perfectly for me.

Both my document settings and account settings are default to millimetre.

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ritchie_argue

In spite of what was claimed in the document you linked, in practice dxf files are generally specified as unit-less, so that has become the de facto or ruling assumption in most disciplines where they are used. 

If they are created from an inch document, one unit will be an inch; if from a metric document, it will typically be a millimetre. 

By convention, any dxf profiles provided for cutting or routing or engraving will have at least one dimension attached, so the recipient can unambiguously verify the final translation is correct, and (if necessary) scale the profiles up or down (generally by 25.4), or change the units in the receiving package in cases where that's possible.

• ritchie_ritchie_ Member Posts: 11
    @andrew_troup: thanks for the clarification. How do I attach a dimension in Onshape for the recipient to confirm or scale as necessary? Sorry if this is a basic question, new to CAD. Many thanks!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @ritchie_ Only thing you can do is make sure your document is set to wanted unit (If your general setting affect, then it's a bug).

You can find general setting by clicking your name (on top right) --> manage account --> settings
    Document settings can be found inside document, hamburger menu (on top left) --> units

//rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ritchie_
    At the moment Onshape is lacking any drawing or dimensioning ability, so you would have to kludge it by adding a suitable dimension in a sketch. I would create a sketch for that specific purpose, and "Use" the desired profile, to convert it into (fully defined) geometry on that sketch.
    I would then add a (driven) dimension to that sketch, hide the parts and other sketches, and use a suitable screen-grab utility (like "Snipping Tool" in Windows) to take a snapshot of the sketch with the dimension, purely for illustrative purposes, to send along with the dxf.

If you have any other CAD package in which can open a dxf and put a dimension on it and resave it, that would be a better result, because you are only supplying a single file to the contractor.