Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 8th, 2017

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
edited February 2017 in New in Onshape
It's here! We can't keep you in suspense any longer - Sheet Metal is now available for all users! If you haven't seen the video below, watch it through to the end as it covers every aspect of Simultaneous Sheet Metal - editing a sheet metal part in folded, flat, and bend table view - simultaneously!

SIMULTANEOUS SHEET METAL

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/wn3rvaz037?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

OFFSET DISTANCE

I know this one will make a lot of people happy! When creating an extrusion up to next, face, part or vertex you can now specify an offset. 

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/vij1o5aumd?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

SWEEP AND LOFT ERROR FEEDBACK

If you are trying to create a sweep or a loft and there is a problem, like self-intersecting geometry, Onshape will highlight it in red.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ahsqm1v6yy?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

ENTER MATE VALUES

When you select or edit a Mate, you can now modify the dimensions on-screen to position your parts more accurately.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uls1ss2evj?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

DECIMAL PLACES

You now have control over the number of decimal places displayed in sketches, parts and assemblies.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/f7yb9xfdv6?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

DRAWING DIMENSION HIGHLIGHTING

When you add a dimension in a drawing, the geometry you select now highlights.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/rkpy4b6fdu?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

WATCH PART STUDIOS WHILE EDITING FEATURESCRIPT 

You can now see if your custom FeatureScript feature is working as expected without having to leave the Feature Studio.

http://onshape.wistia.com/medias/qbzk9u6rph?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

CHANGE INSTANCE FROM WORKSPACE TO A SPECIFIED VERSION

When you derive a part from one Part Studio into another or insert a part into an assembly from the same Document, you can now specify if you want to use the part as it appears in the Part Studio and have it update at the same time, or you can specify a particular Version to use.

REPORT FAULTY PARTS IN ASSEMBLIES

When you insert parts into an assembly, Onshape will now give you tooltip feedback if there is a problem, before you insert it and after it has been assembled.

CHANGE THE FILENAME OF DRAWING EXPORTS (DWG, DXF, DWT, & PDF)

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in documents created before the date of this update.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Wow, after just a couple of minutes of playing with SM I'm liking it a lot.  Love the separate view cube for the flat view.  (Something similar might be nice in standard PS's to see multiple angles of the same part without having to keep spinning around.)

Once again Onshape you're making it all look easy, my sincere congratulations on some exceptional work.  Beer-o'clock for all involved I'd say.

And to top it off a load of non SM updates too.

Thank you.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great update! Sheet metal is long waited feature and it appears to be awesome from the beginning..

The use of 'main' version in local assembly, hopefully indicates it will be expanded for linked docs too B)
    //rami
  • walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    great job guys  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice set of update plus awesome addition of sheet metal. 

For those that don't use sheet metal can the icon's be turned off?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, for a first release of sheet metal. It is awesome!!
    Great job
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @brucebartlett
    We are working on more flexible toolbars, including user configurable toolbars. Sorry about inconveniences in mean-time. 
  • daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Sheet Metal is a great update and its implementation in Onshape looks fantastic.
    Great work to all involved, please keep it coming.  
  • HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    Sheet Metal functionality is very impressive!
  • rene_mignaultrene_mignault Member Posts: 1
    Is this a full list?  There seems to be a few more minor changes in the UI. It would be nice to have a list for sure.
  • PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Sheet Metal looks awesome! Thanks for all the updates!
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice set of update. Offset distance and sheet metal functionality is very impressive than other CAD tool.
  • icatoiu_danielicatoiu_daniel OS Professional Posts: 4
    Very nice updates and Sheet  Metal is a easy tool.

I think a great featurea could be to have possibility to work on flate view.

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @icatoiu_daniel
    Thank you for your suggestion. Working in flat view is in our plans. Currently you can make selections in flat view for Flange and other sheet metal features. As always, adding this as an improvement request will help us prioritize our work and ensure that you are notified when the capability is implemented.
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Once again, a great update!  Welcoming the sheet metal feature.  Thank you again for working on improving Onshape so frequently!
  • dylan_rosedylan_rose Member Posts: 5
    Loving the new sheet metal tools! One question, Is there a way to make curved sheet metal surfaces? Like a cylinder or cone?
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    Loving the new sheet metal tools! One question, Is there a way to make curved sheet metal surfaces? Like a cylinder or cone?
    @dylan_rose Not yet.  It is a requested capability.  
  • garreth_jonesgarreth_jones Member Posts: 1
    I've just tried the convert to sheet metal feature.. I have to say, it kicks ass! Congratulations Onshape!

I've been using SolidWorks for over 10 years and have a few months experience with Solid Edge. SW is quite effective when it comes to sheet metal, SE I found to be a pain (but i am lacking experience with this). Its my opinion that Onshapes Sheet metal conversion is the most powerful that I have used, all the correct variables are present in front of the operator. No messing about there. 

Next Weldments??
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    Next Weldments??
    Yes please!
  • ArcsonArcson Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Thank you for Sheet Metal. I have been eagerly awaiting this update.  Now I can seriously consider leaving behind traditional cad.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Working in the flat view to trim items gets my vote. I'm working on something right now that could use it to trim material away. Instead of trying to trim across multi planes and surfaces. Did this manually before sheet metal came out and it took a long time. 
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    The new ENTER MATE VALUES feature is nice but it would be REALLY nice if we could confirm those numbers and lock them into the mate.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Rock on guys!!! Fantastic set of updates.
  • VierhoutVierhout Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Thank you Onshape for this nice update! Keep up going the updates!
    www.vierhoutengineering.nl
    Mechanical Structural Engineering
  • dan_manoimdan_manoim OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    I found a way to work around the curved surface limitation at least for cylindrical shapes.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all those who ask about weldments, you can try the Beam FeatureScript and improve all this process with other FeatureScripts.

We did that, as you can see in the next video: We have created a complete library of profiles and created a new FeatureScript extraordinarily useful to improve the creation of structures of aluminium. 
    https://youtu.be/aCjkPs2fGp0

The audio is in spanish, but i think that you can easily understand how it works

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    ::release (this);
    <unlock (thread)>

.. just trying to figure out the code to push this thread away from top and make room for new one  B)

//rami
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    (8 + (3 * 7)) != 27

Patience Sir

:-)

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    For all those who ask about weldments, you can try the Beam FeatureScript and improve all this process with other FeatureScripts.

We did that, as you can see in the next video: We have created a complete library of profiles and created a new FeatureScript extraordinarily useful to improve the creation of structures of aluminium.   

The audio is in spanish, but i think that you can easily understand how it works

Any updates in the works to add more sizes to the default shapes? 
    edited February 2017
    Hi @Tony_C_
    I don't know if @NeilCooke or anyone else in Onshape is working in that.
    As Onshape Partner's, We have created that library as a value-added service for our customers.

But I hope that, during the next few weeks, I shall be able to edit and improve the Beam FeatureScript and share it with all Onshape users.
    Un saludo,