Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

EXPORT LINK/ HYPERLINK/ A FILE FORMAT THAT LINKS TO DOCUMENT

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work in a Job shop. We save customer files on our server under customer name and then purchase order. When an operator begins production of a job, they go to this location to get the .dxf file for our 2D cutters (laser,waterjet, plasma) or .stp for machining (mill, lathe). This folder also contains documents and other file formats associated with this job. We do not keep paper records only digital records so we treat each job as a new job.

Onshape gives you the capabilities to save all files associated with a job on the cloud and can be accessed by anyone by following the shared link. This is great.

We are a small job shop so I receive anywhere from 5-15 new jobs to process and prepare the files and drawings for the shop. It is our shop supervisor's job to schedule the jobs and route them to the different machines.

It would be nice if I could export the onshape document into a format (that would be a link of sorts to the onshape document) in the customer folder that the operator could click on and it would take them to the onshape document where they can get all geometry and information needed for that job.

This would save space on our server because instead of having many files containing information for the job, it would just be a link to the onshape document that has all this information securely stored in the cloud. It would also save space because when a job is a repeat job it does not have the same information from a previous job duplicated in a new folder ( taking up more space on the server) just the same link, and it contains the most up to date information. 

This is the whole premise of Onshape is to have all this information for a job in one document. I know I could copy and paste the "shared link" in a word document in which the operator would open the word document and then click on the link and it would bring them to the onshape document. It would be more efficient if this new exported file format that I am proposing could be clicked on and directly sends you to the onshape document. 

I am probably over thinking this but instead of loading up my shop supervisor's e-mail with all these shared links to access the documents. Then sending these links to the operator who would then have to manage along with the rest of the operators e-mails. Jobs are processed based on a schedule which means the operator could receive a file today that he/she would not start for another 2 weeks because there are other jobs ahead in the schedule and some hot jobs will unexpectedly jump in and change the schedule on a daily basis. Combine that with jobs being added daily so multiple e-mails being added daily and will need to be managed by the operator in order to access the Onshape document.   

To avoid this the  could simply follow the same work flow guidelines we established  to get the information they need to process the job by going to the customer folder/PO and click on this file that would send them directly to the Onshape document on the cloud.

Like I mentioned before this might be good or I am over thinking this.

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @bryan_lagrange  You can create shortcuts to a URL that you can click on in a folder for instance.  I believe each browser also has their own function for this.  This would give you an icon in a folder that you click on to launch a specific Onshape Document.
  • Options
    Hey cody,

I was able to make the shortcut:

The only issue I find is that when you click on the link the document is view only.

I would need to have read write access when the file opens. Is there a way to do this with the shortcut?

An exported file format that would allow the read/write would be great (wishful thinking here but I have to try). It would be great to click export, select this new format, have options to set permisions, then save in the selected folder.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    by the way. If you use mastercam you can open the file directly from mastercam if you install the extention.

It sounds like you manage job the same way we do. A repeat order is a duplicate job. I like the idea of internet shortcuts in the job folder. It would make things follow your folder structure that people may be used to. Rather than needing to remember "Oh this was drawn in onshape, so I have to browse to this word document of links"

that way you wont have to re-train everyone where to find information
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Are you looking for a way to using your existing file structure to reference an Onshape Doc?

Is it possible to just use Onshape to hold your documents and set up a Tagging system to control what is ready for production?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options

What I want to do is the most smooth transition possible for workflow in the shop. The shop is used to seeing all files in a folder on the server. I was just trying to think of an easy way to get the shop used to working with the cloud.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235
     bryan_lagrange

I created this setup sheet recently for a demonstration. The links are hyperlinks that help navigate through the document, and makes it very easy for the shop floor or setup person to access the setup documentation. 

For the manufacturing process, having the tooling information, part drawing, manufacturing assembly, G-code file and even CAM project in one location is a huge time saver. This example shows exactly that. By loading a .pdf into the document with links to each tab will help the machinist be more efficient on the shop floor. 

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @john_desilets946 that looks like a great sheet with all the details needed for the shop floor. I can imagine that the Onshape document with all the details and loads of tabs would be quite hard to navigate through and this lays it all out without navigation time for the operator. I'd love to click on the links to follow through to the Tabs to see how your document is laid out. Are you using linked documents for your stock part or machine envelope? Which document do you store you pdf and is the Mastercam files and G-Code store in Onshape as well? How do you manage versioning?

Could you see an advantage to having a QR code as paper link, then you could then use printed documents as well with an operator scanning the QR code with a smartphone or tablet and go directory to the CAD files. The QR would hold the URL info for the Onshape document tab.
  • Options
    John, that is a great way to put everything together.
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @brucebartlett
    @bryan_lagrange

I'll make a public document that will highlight this as soon as possible. You bring up some very good questions, and the QR code scanning is a great suggestion. I do see an added benefit to this, however we need to make sure that the scanner will open the application on mobile devices. This is something I will follow up on. For the operator I can see this being a huge time saver!

I am working on a response to all your questions and will reply shortly. 

• Options
    edited May 2017
    and the QR code scanning is a great suggestion. I do see an added benefit to this, however we need to make sure that the scanner will open the application on mobile devices. This is something I will follow up on. For the operator I can see this being a huge time saver!

@pete_yodis @PeteYodis sparked the QR code idea. In my mind, the reader would have to be part of the mobile app. I am not sure the browser version would need a reader but it would need an easy way to create codes and add them to drawings or tabs. I suppose this could be all done at the moment using cut and paste into a creator and an app on a phone may be able to read and direct but too time-consuming. I imagine easy solution would be to RMB Onshape on a tab, Copy QR code and paste where needed.

This is a trial I did with a free creater, havn't worked out how to open it direct to the app on the phone yet through. All done in Onshape would be ideal.

• Options
    Oh QR codes that link to the onshape app. Thats Sexy
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    So with the proper QR scanning app, it will allow the doc to be opened immediately in the Onshape mobile application. For Apple, I found a reader by Scan Inc to work well. The trick is to find a QR app that communicates with the rest of the device instead of keeping you in their app/browser view for ads. I know @john_desilets946 will have more to add here.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    "Barcode Scanner" by ZXing for android works as well
  • Options

@brucebartlett

@bryan_lagrange

QR Scanner

You brought up some very good questions, and the QR code scanning is a great suggestion. I see an added benefit to this absolutely. With the correct QR code scanning app, you are able to access documents easily and efficiently. A setup sheet with a combination of the two would be excellent. I’ll be sure to make a public document soon that covers all of this. When I do I will be sure to add both you to it.

For the QR code I downloaded an application called “QR Reader”. Next I used a free QR code generating app and created the code below. It links to a public document in Onshape. Try it out!

Setup Sheet

For the setup sheet, it was pretty straightforward to make. First I built my project in Onshape and used linked documents for an assembly and a part studio. When I had everything completed, I created a google doc that allowed me to build the hyperlinks into the setup sheet. I copied the links I wanted in my setup sheet, pasted them into the google doc, and changed the name for easier identification. Last I exported the document out in a .pdf format, and loaded it into the Onshape document. It resides in the document that I share out to other users.

For my demo the story goes as follows. I am a manufacturing company. Saulin industries, is a customer of mine, and has shared a part with me to manufacture. I am able to communicate directly with my customer via Onshape, and if they pushed a revision I am notified and can version control my workflow as needed.

On my end I need to choose my approach on how to manufacture the part. This includes what work holding device to use, stock, CNC machine, and in the end, program the tool paths in CAM. When I am done, I'll just load the Mastercam project into the Onshape document and now I have the entire manufacturing project in Onshape.

For version control of the CAM project, I simply made a version and uploaded the latest version of the CAM project into that version. This is the beauty of a built in PDM system. Below is a screenshot of this.

• Options
    Feel free to scan the code I added above. My favourite piece of feature script is in there.

Thanks for the tips on the apps @bradley_sauln  & @john_mcclary
  • Options
    Thank you John
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    I just followed the steps John gave and this is pretty sweet. I never thought of using the bar code to link directly to Onshape. I did a test by placing the barcode to a work order and it worked great. Just a thought but what is you could export this barcode directly out of Onshape
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    @bryan_lagrange
    That is excellent! @lougallo and I have worked on creating a pdf that you can push to Onshape. The pdf will allow you to generate a QR code and links to a Onshape document. Lou did an excellent job on this. I am working on an example to share in public. When I do I'll make a new forum post. In the interim, please feel free to share with us what would be interesting for you to have on a setup sheet.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    We think there are some pretty neat things to do here... Thanks for the comments on this one.  
  • Options
    A small wish list would include:
    Router: work stations required to create part/weldment/assembly etc
    Link to MTR
    Link to QC reports
    Link to certs ( ex. Weld procedure)
    Purchase order/ Work order number
    Link to ERP (we use E2) to log time into job.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    I am attempting to add time collection to the process. Here is the link to the post on the forum for my first attempt.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6482/google-sheets#latest

Bryan Lagrange