Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parametric design & design intent with Onshape

emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a simple part that I use in the Onshape's trainings to explain parametric design & design intention. I hope you enjoy it ;-)

https://youtu.be/kz2FBAV4w6I

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                     Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común

Comments

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one of the powerfull capabilities of OS is that it allows the degeneration of the geometry, you can have a line of zero length in a sketch, you can transform a cube to a sphere only varying fillet radius and no additional edges will stay and so on

• Options
    Yes, We also use that in the Full Round Fillet https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6905/new-featurescript-full-round-fillet

Actually, now that we get variable fillets I think we should edit this FeatureScript ;-)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    What can you build with only 3 features? Now we know.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

• Options
    That's the point of that sample. I can change the part to be a tube, a bullet, a rectangular plate, a circular plate, a full sphere a hollow sphere... almost all that you want
    Un saludo,

• Options
    HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that great video.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    one of the powerfull capabilities of OS is that it allows the degeneration of the geometry, you can have a line of zero length in a sketch, you can transform a cube to a sphere only varying fillet radius and no additional edges will stay and so on

Going back from zero distance doesn't always come up as desired (as it was before set to 0). I suppose Onshape has hard time to determine right direction if lenght/distance grows from zero to something. There should be some sort of mind reader implented but this is propably already in works so I don't raise an IR ticket for it =)
    //rami
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    Going back from zero distance doesn't always come up as desired (as it was before set to 0). I suppose Onshape has hard time to determine right direction if lenght/distance grows from zero to something. There should be some sort of mind reader implented but this is propably already in works so I don't raise an IR ticket for it =)
    sometimes I use dimensions that change their value from positive to negative crossing zero value, and  OS remembers positive direction of dimension, I haven't faced any ambiguity of this behavior. for us this can really look like mind-reading