Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Anyone know of an on-line machine shop which uses Onshape?

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
I need a bunch of small parts machined. It would be nice to work with a CNC shop which will use Onshape.  (Some like eMachine have declined to do so.)

Answers

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the Onshape free plan and do some basic CNC machining for several clients as a part-time business if you need fairly simple parts.  That said, do you really need a shop which uses Onshape?  You can export to STEP or other neutral formats that most CNC shops should be able to read and do their CAM from.
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    michael3424 Thanks for the offer.  I do have some simple parts and some not so simple.  I have been sending shops STEP files along with PDF's.  I was just thinking how much easier it would be to work with them in Onshape.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you are interested, send me a PDF drawing (or share the Onshape doc), let me know the material and tolerances, and I'll let you know if I can handle it and would be interested.  I'm in the suburban Chicago are if location matters to you.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    https://www.xometry.com/  are an interesting looking company, it would be nice to see an Onshape addon (app) on the website
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    It would be awesome to have an addon that would calculate an offer for you according to model. Going forward it could use parameters from multiple companies and compare solutions & prices for manufacturing.

I'm sure this is just around the corner as manufacturing companies get more and more involved in straight contact with individuals / end users.
    //rami
    I tried sending a part to Xometry.  After watching the little blue twirlie for 10 minutes, I got a message their servers were off-line.  I hope this is temporary.
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Have a look at https://weerg.com

they are incredibly fast and cheap. My first simple CNC parts will arrive tomorrow. Plastic RP parts were ok. All it takes is a drag and drop of the step geometry and you have a price for 1, 2, 3, 4... parts. With three delivery times.

tolerances are very limited. Threads are free.
    I tried a few parts with Xometry.  Unfortunately, their prices were almost 3x what eMachine did the work for.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I'm interested in a Onshape machine shop also.

Prefer northern hemisphere close to the americas.

• colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @bill_daniels
    @billy2

We are a machine shop who uses onshape.  We are located in Nashville, TN. 
    CNC Milling, turning, swiss turning, plastic injection molding, mold making.