Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

have any onshapers imported sketchup files into onshape with tips to do this?

AlphabluAlphablu Member Posts: 7
I am working with a client that is stuck on sketchup becuase it's what he knows.  I have imported sketchup files into solidworks in the past with enough success to to have enoguh of a reference to remodel it in SolidWorks.  anyone have any tips for getting useful data out of sketchup to use in onshape?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
  • Options
    tim_fostertim_foster Member Posts: 2
    Add me three @LouGallo ;

I have a lot of files I would like to get away from Sketchup and into Onshape.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Not useful for me personally but as you are targeting the marker market as well as the professionals a lot of people will have sketchup files they will want to import so can i be added as well please?
  • Options
    adzignadzign Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Please add me to the improvement request as well, thanks
  • Options
    jonathon_duerigjonathon_duerig Member, Developers Posts: 6 PRO
    I've had to do this a couple of times. My general strategy was:

(1) Install an export-to-stl plugin to Sketchup.
    (2) Use it to export that STL
    (3) Use MeshFix (or another STL fixer) to repair some oddities in the exported STL. This may have been related to the particular models I was trying to export. But this was a necessary step for me to successfully import.
    (4) Import the fixed STL file. If this fails, then no part studio will be created. If it succeeds, then two tabs (one for the file and one for a part studio) will be created.
    (5) Use onshape tools and the points on the mesh to create a solid that matches the mesh.
    (6) Now I have a full onshape part I can use in assemblies or to help with designing mating parts, etc.
  • Options
    rolf_troostrolf_troost Member Posts: 1
    +1 on the improvement request for getting Sckethup files into onshape :)
  • Options
    tsung_ren_hungtsung_ren_hung Member Posts: 9 EDU
    @Alphablu You can use Designspark Mechanical(free software) to save .skp into .rsdoc then open rsdoc in 7-zip, in the folder \SpaceClaim\Geometry\  you can find the *.sab, try to tranfer *.sab into *.sat(acis header 8 for onshape)
  • Options
    3axis3axis Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2017
    +1 for sketch up and also to be able to import .stl as solid (may need mesh fix/repair process) preferably worst case as a surface.
  • Options
    steven_abiusosteven_abiuso Member Posts: 11
    For simpler models in sketchup grab the CleanUp and Solid Inspector plugins. Run cleanup first to remove stray edges and duplicate faces, then run solid inspector to ensure the object is solid.

It works well enough that I can use most objects for measurement reference to design my own version.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Is there any progress with .skp import? Now it appears that I need this too..
    //rami
  • Options
    famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Has this been made into an improvement request?
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO